Driving Away Without Unplugging!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Evo_Spec

Re: Driving Away Without Unplugging!

Post by Evo_Spec »

johnmx3ze wrote:did all mx3's have this? i dont, well i think i dont lol
my original B6 engine didn't have one and my BP-T is JDM and most parts of Japan probably just use water, so that one doesn't have one either =P
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Evo_Spec wrote:
johnmx3ze wrote:did all mx3's have this? i dont, well i think i dont lol
my original B6 engine didn't have one and my BP-T is JDM and most parts of Japan probably just use water, so that one doesn't have one either =P
The "Anti-Freeze" you use to cool your engine is not just anti-freeze. Ethylene Glycol has a much much higher specific heat than water. Meaning it can absourb much more heat than water as well as shedding that heat more efficiently than water. Everyone uses anti-freeze...even the Japanese.

Having said that, my JDM ZE also doesn't have one, but that's because it doesn't get cold enough to need to pre-heat the coolant...not because they don't have to worry about it freezing.

My ZE has never had any trouble starting...even at -43C last winter, but I still wish it had one. It just makes things easier.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

That being said guys, does anybody happen to know which engines have them factory?

Thanks!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

None.

If your car was sold in a climate that gets cold enough to warrant one, dealerships were responsible for installing them. Its a process called PDI (Pre-delivery inspection).

Wouldn't make sense for any manufacturer to waste the money installing them on cars that might wind up in Texas.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea the only reason that my car has one in the mild climate of Vancouver is that my car was originally owned by a Mazda employee for 2 years in Alberta somewhere. Guess he got it installed when it arrived.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

wytbishop wrote:The "Anti-Freeze" you use to cool your engine is not just anti-freeze. Ethylene Glycol has a much much higher specific heat than water. Meaning it can absourb much more heat than water as well as shedding that heat more efficiently than water. Everyone uses anti-freeze...even the Japanese.
interesting, i thought anti-freeze made cooling worse and so the less extreme cold of climate the less anti-freeze they used to maximize cooling, guess i was wrong.
time to do some research and find out how this stuff works =D
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Please tell me you've been using it anyway... it also resists corrosion such as rust.

I bet your "water" is mud brown.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Ryan wrote:Please tell me you've been using it anyway... it also resists corrosion such as rust.

I bet your "water" is mud brown.
if by mud brown you ment rust, than no, it's more of "monster green" as i put it =D
And yes i use anti-freeze because i'm very aware it's a rust inhibitor.
i guess to follow with what i'm saying i'll explain what i do with anti-freeze.
basically in summer i used a 30/70 water mixture because i'm aware that anti-freeze also increases the boiling point and the extra water would promote cooling, or straight water if i'm working on my cooling system and need to run to the store to get parts.
In winter i use 50/50 mixture because it doesn't really get colder than -37 without windchill (-37, written on the back of the bottle, is the freeze point of the anti-freeze i use)

really i don't know if what i'm doing is really helping anything, i just kind of do it if i feel like it, lots of time i just left the 50/50 mixture in there from winter cause i know it doesn't harm anything.
also the point of my comment was more of a question than anything, cause i'm by far not the most knowledgeable person here and i know that, in fact i'm a noob who barely got his bp swap done XD
so any....education on the topic would be nice
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

50/50 is always good. Too strong a mixture can cause flow problems and isn't ideal for cooling either. Too weak a mixture is definitely not best for cooling but as long as the climate is ok there's no worries.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:50/50 is always good. Too strong a mixture can cause flow problems and isn't ideal for cooling either. Too weak a mixture is definitely not best for cooling but as long as the climate is ok there's no worries.
Exactly, good for the large majority of environments, and 50/50 is easy to mix too.

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ah okay, I may or may not bother to put one in with the new engine.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Who needs a whale wing, it's not a civic!

hahahahah thats awesome!

It's A Bird, Its A Plane.. NO! its a honda civic!!! :D
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Forgot to plug in last night. -27 with the wind chill. car wont start! :( LOL.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

cWs306 wrote:
Who needs a whale wing, it's not a civic!

hahahahah thats awesome!

It's A Bird, Its A Plane.. NO! its a honda civic!!! :D
Haha thanks, I put that in after I saw a spoiler that weighed as much as I do on a Civic.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”