Can the ECU be modified?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Can the ECU be modified?

Post by MrMazda92 »

wytbishop wrote:My mistake. I missed the japanese K8 part and assumed we were talking KLZE.

It would be theoretically possible to reflash the K8 EPROM but I don't know of anyone who ever has.
I almost did too, barely caught it before I hit submit :P
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
K_I_R_K_S
antispam: No

Post by K_I_R_K_S »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
K_I_R_K_S wrote:hmmm... again. what are these issues you speak of?? Iv done it... had a KFZE in a 30x on a K8 ECU..
Had a DE in a Telstar that was a ZE... no issue...
a KF isn't that big of a jump of a motor for that ECU (only an extra 200cc), that motor does use a K8 head afterall and I'm going to take a guess that the KF uses the same 180cc injectors as the K8 which is the reason why it works, but many guys here had issues trying to get KF's to run on many ECU combo's and given up al together, so there's little documentation here on what actually works with a KF.

a KLDE ECU will run a KLZE just fine, people do it here all the time. they're both 2.5L motors, so ya, no problems there

Improper mixture, the ECU thinks the motor is 2500cc while the engine is 1800cc with 180cc injectors, and it's giving pulses for 220cc injectors, there's going to be a whole wack of confusion in the ECU, especially when it comes to reading the extra air coming into the VAF being sucked in by the extra 700cc and the bad mixture being measured by the 02's coming out of the exhaust cause the injectors are dumping in too much duel.
:) my bad.... yeah i know the differences.... but i back to backed a KL and a K8 ecu on a KFZE on the dyno............. not much difference....
Orange 1995 Eunos 30X Race car KLDE
Orange 1994 Ford Telstar Race car KLDE-sold
Mazda 323 BF Turbo racecar in the build
Blue Mazda MX6 V6 4ws
Ford Telstar TX5 v6 4ws
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:It would be theoretically possible to reflash the K8 EPROM but I don't know of anyone who ever has.
You could do it the exact same way with a Probinator, you'd just have to home that Probinator has either the K8ZE code to flash into his chips, has the K8ZE code to flash into one of his chips, or has the knowledge to change the code for his KLZE flash to work for a K8ZE....those are the only ways I can see you getting a modified ECU/EEPROM
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

when in doubt call corksport, i'm pretty sure they can either:

A. order you a jspec ecu,
B. flash the ecu to match,
C. tell you to hook the egr back up lol.

there is option D. Megasquirt

with corksport you'll pay a premium... it would probably more cost effective to go with the megasquirt lol.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”