Preperation for tranny and engine swap

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Preperation for tranny and engine swap

Post by Ryan »

I like how this thread turned out.

The reality is, without doing your own research, you lack the background knowledge to draw upon when you hit a little hiccup in the swap. This makes your swap take 2 days instead of two weeks, and guarantees it will work the first time, and helps you more thoroughly understand your car, so when something goes wrong, you'll have an excellent idea of what it is, or what it could be, instead of dishing out your $200 just to drive your car into a shop. Also being a full time student (per definition of the University, Danny :P) and holding a few part time jobs, I'd rather keep my money, so I imagine you would too.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Dark_Rider2k3

Re: Preperation for tranny and engine swap

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

haha this stuff is probably all sorted out but here are the few things I came across when doing the swap.

1. If your BP does not have an oil cooler on the back (there doesn't seem to be a spot similar to the B6 on the back of the block for the heater hoses), you'll have to work something out in terms of routing the heater hoses up to the side coolant lines).

2. If your using the BP transmission (I used the kia) make sure you use the BP slave cyldiner.

3. If your doing ATX -> MTX, make sure that you do the Neutral safety bypass and wire up the reverse lights. Also make sure you have the correct tranny mounts.

4. There is a 2-wire "ground" that normally grounds to the front of the BP (an orange/black and green/black wire set). You will have to make a grounding spot for this as the stock location on the B6 for this ground is nonexistent on the BP.

That's really all I ran across. Everything else was fine!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”