94 MX-3 BackFire/Pop via intake

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Pheesh123
antispam: No

Re: 94 MX-3 BackFire/Pop via intake

Post by Pheesh123 »

Ryan wrote:I don't quite understand what you're saying.

on all cylinders they stop firing/fire incorrectly at that range?

What two plugs on the disty that aren't plug wires?

Maybe you do need a new distributor, since you already did cap and rotor :shrug:

This is the DOHC 1.6? I'm sure someone has a dist lying around for you.

yes, on all cylinders they stop firing correctly within the RPM range of 1.5K - 2K (sometimes even when it bogsd outside of that range)

yes, the more people I talk to the more I am thinking that is the distributor. someone also recommended the ignition coil. where is the ignition coil on the mx-3? I am sorry if it is common knowledge but I dont know the way around this engine bay as compared to my honda.

there are 2 plugs on the disty. the 4 plug wires and 2 other connectors.
here is a pic of what i am refering to. :)

yes the mx-3 is a 1.6 DOHC, if there is anyone with a dist that they would like to help me out with please let me know
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Oh, ahahaha... well yeah, man, those aren't spark wires. I'm surprised your timing light picked up on those at all. They are tach, ignitor signal, crank/cam position signal.... but funny that you tried. I was pretty sure the DOHC had an internal coil too, so I was wondering where you got 2 from...

The coil is INSIDE the distributor on that disty. depending on how much coin you have, http://www.distributorking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to have good products.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I have a disty if you need one.

Here's an easy diagnostic tip: My DOHC did the same thing yours did... not to your extent. I had a bad O2 sensor. It didn't throw a code either. Try unplugging the O2 and see if it reacts the same. If it doesn't bog, there's your problem. Make SURE you get a Denso O2 sensor. Bosch and any replacement brand didn't work in two different MX-3's so it's not going to work in yours. Gotta be Denso.

The disty is a all-in-one distributor/coil, so you replace the disty you replace the coil.

Make sure you have the correct ignition timing. Sounds like it's retarded too much, might want to try advancing it.

Check your belt deflection as well see if it's loose. if it is loose you might have jumped your timing.

These are all easy steps to try. If you want to throw money at different parts that you know works, you can try a disty, then try a VAF, then try a TPS. they're all easy to change... and I sell all of them parts >:D
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Pheesh123

Post by Pheesh123 »

SuperK wrote:I have a disty if you need one.

Here's an easy diagnostic tip: My DOHC did the same thing yours did... not to your extent. I had a bad O2 sensor. It didn't throw a code either. Try unplugging the O2 and see if it reacts the same. If it doesn't bog, there's your problem. Make SURE you get a Denso O2 sensor. Bosch and any replacement brand didn't work in two different MX-3's so it's not going to work in yours. Gotta be Denso.

The disty is a all-in-one distributor/coil, so you replace the disty you replace the coil.

Make sure you have the correct ignition timing. Sounds like it's retarded too much, might want to try advancing it.

Check your belt deflection as well see if it's loose. if it is loose you might have jumped your timing.

These are all easy steps to try. If you want to throw money at different parts that you know works, you can try a disty, then try a VAF, then try a TPS. they're all easy to change... and I sell all of them parts >:D

thanks man, i appriceate it. ill check some stuff out and get back to you. any parts that are cheap will save me money that i dont have hahah.
Pheesh123

Post by Pheesh123 »

8)

so unplugged the O2 sensor and it ran the same. :(

it has been raining so I havent had time to really look at anything else.

How much would it be for a new dist from you superK?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Well it's not a NEW disty but I pulled it off my friend's MX-3 and guaranteed to work. I gots a new cap/rotor/adapter with it, so I'm asking 70 for it... but if you want it without the cap/rotor, I can do 50
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Pheesh123

Post by Pheesh123 »

8)

i would be down for shelling out $50. I just bought the cap and rotor. So I would like to utilize the parts we already bought lol. Just PM me your Paypal etc and I will reply with all the required info to get the dist to me. thanks for ur help superK

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”