K8 P&P & MS-8 Intake differences

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Re: K8 P&P & MS-8 Intake differences

Post by solo_ryder »

bbunkerc397 wrote:well as far up as he could go, untill the runners curve.
Yea so there is still a bottle neck on the IM on the top portion.. You may have gained a few crank hp by port matching but overall a stock ZE curve or straight neck will out perform a k8 manifold in all aspects. Not to mention the throttle body of the k8 is quite abit smaller then a ZE mani. Your best bet is to get a straight or curve neck and get that ported out abit and maybe do a small TB bore, but I suspect with those two mods you may loose abit of bottom end power.
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Well I do have a ZE curve neck IM.
but I suspect with those two mods you may loose abit of bottom end power.
What do you mean?
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Wouldn't the whole inside of the IM be smoother or was the curved area not reached? I thought the smoothness would account for some gain in power, not just the physical widening of the IM?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

bbunkerc397 wrote:Well I do have a ZE curve neck IM.
but I suspect with those two mods you may loose abit of bottom end power.
What do you mean?
I mean that with the extra CC's in the intake manifold and the extra flow rate of the throttlebody you may lose some low end power because there is too much room in the intake mani and throttle body for low end performance.. You may lose some low end air flow velocity and hurt low end torque and power. This same theory applies for exhaust.. if you run a 3" exhaust on a NA klze you are gonna loose bottom end as there is too much space in the piping for the motor to operate correctly at low RPM.

Top end would be nice though, that is when you can see the benefits of a PNP like what you want.. The stock IM is designed by Mazda to give you power all through the powerband.. once you start modding it, you will lose certain parts of the power band and gain power in other areas.. usually the top end. This is why it is not always a good idea to go creating massively oversized parts for a motor that can be tweaked in other ways.. The best solution I could see is getting a good set of cams and a proper sized exhaust with maybe a very mild pnp.. maybe just to remove the stock casting flash

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”