[GI] Carbon Fiber or Graphite hood prop/ hatch prop.

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.
Evo_Spec

Re: [GI] Carbon Fiber or Graphite hood prop/ hatch prop.

Post by Evo_Spec »

fowljesse wrote:Cool.
I'm off to the supplier!
If anyone wants the original crazy bend in the top part, so it holds the hood the same way, I can Epoxy it into the shaft, and I reckon it would cost another $35.
well, how reliable is the current set up?
that's the only thing i'm worried about, cause i don't want a small wind to cause a nice bonk on my head.
but on the other hand, the bend looks weak. (wouldn't be the first time i sacrificed looks for functionality XD)
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

All who get one must report when they get the:

"Dude, is that a golf club holding your hood up?" comment

You must also reply, with a serious face:

"What? No. Thats JDM."
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm thinking about putting a notch in the metal part, for the brace under the hood to catch, if it were to blow backward.

I know you're kidding, Ryan, but I do want to say that it doesn't look like a club shaft was used :wink:
I'll get good pictures.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Jesse, do the shafts change in diameter over the length? or is it the same diameter at each end? I think it would look better if it was the same diameter, for sure.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Ryan wrote:Jesse, do the shafts change in diameter over the length? or is it the same diameter at each end? I think it would look better if it was the same diameter, for sure.
+1
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It is a little larger dia. at the pivot end. I think it looks cool this way, but I'll have to get good pictures for you all. I cut off about 7" from the thick end, so it's not as big around as one would imagine.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

my main worry is a lot of tapering, but looking at the photo i don't see too much.
i'd still prefer more uniform all the way through, and about the thickness of the stock bar, maybe i little thicker
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

ok here are some pics of the CF version... let me know if I need to take more pics of anything specific.

Yes it tapers a little bit but it's not that big of a deal IMO... OH and the weight difference is incredible between OEM vs. the CF!

keep in mind I have a CF hood so my holes look different but the titanium tip fits nicely to hold it up... I'm not sure how concerned I am about it getting blown around by the wind... hmmm :confused2:
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i'm sold, lol

looks really nice, can't wait
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

although i don't know when these are planned to be made, i've run into some financial problems and won't be able to purchase this till after i get back from my travels, maybe later. so what i was wondering if you'd be offering to make these in the future?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes I will :)
I'm out of town for a while, too, so I can't get started on them for a couple weeks anyway.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

very happy to hear that cause i was really sad thinking i would miss out on this, btw great work jesse!
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 29&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Really?
You're jacking my thread to try to sell your similar product?
LAME.
I like the last post, though, saying that they want something in the $40 range, which mine happen to be!
If I was interested in something, and someone jacked them like that, I would boycott.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

By the way, if anyone actually wants hood struts for over $100, I'd be more then happy to sell you some hatch struts, and hardware with instructions.

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”