Cage`

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Stonefly
antispam: No

Re: Cage`

Post by Stonefly »

losing a little body roll but gaining some torsional rigidity, i'm not sure what kind of balance some one could strike with that, but with proper engineering and testing I bet you could make the factors negate eachother
Mx-3 Project: After-Midnight
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Of course you can. But "engineering" means "money".
Besides that, the torsional rigidity gain you can get with a 4 point is very little, especially in a FWD.

Don't get me wrong: roll cages are a great thing. If you need them.
I just don't think it'd be worth it to go through all the hassle only for the looks... :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You can gain significant chassis rigidity w/o a rollcage from a few things.

1) Seam Welding.

2) Frame rail brace under the car. You'd probably want to make it somewhat removable so you can access your exhaust if need be.

3) 8 or 16lb/cubic foot foam filling in the frame rails and body. Spray foam of 2lb/cubic foot would be easy to use in the A and B pillars.

These won't add a ton of weight and will increase your cars strength substantially, while actually keeping the center of gravity LOWER.

I plan to do these things on my next project, whatever it may be. Also the cost is most likely less than that of a rollcage, if you can do the welding yourself.
msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

Hello everyone...
GarretTc16 ----- I'm really glad that u are planning on rallying... I've been a fan of that for a long time, and in 2011 I will be rallying as well in a modifyed FWD class (just thought ppl should know) with a "94 GS.
A roll cage is manditory and it's suppose to be FIA approved. THere are different types of cages that will do. and 4 point cage is not gonna cut it for FIA regulations. If i will remember the website i will update.
And btw making ur own cage is not that easy and you really got to know how to weld.... not any kind of weld it suppose to be tig welded not mig or arch TIG. It's very expensive and need skills to do.
I live in Calgary AB canada and I know a guy who does the FIA cages.... The cheapest one i found around town. He asking for 2400$ CND to get the basic FIA cage. It's harsh and lots of money.

I'll try to look for a website and i will post all this up.
Stonefly

Post by Stonefly »

Sounds pretty intense... thank god I'm sticking to the amateur rally for now... at least til i get my feet wet and get some money built up for entry fees and required parts (cage, suspension, brakes, good seats and harness, fuel cell... etc)... around here we have some really good basic time trials on closed back roads and the occasional "cone coarse" on a gravel lot.... all this in Pomeroy, WA
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

about 3 years too late.. Gyon racing here in town (closed a few years back) used to make them for the mx.. I'm not sure if they were chromoly steel or not.. but the design should still be floating around somewhere.
msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

Stonefly wrote:Sounds pretty intense... thank god I'm sticking to the amateur rally for now... at least til i get my feet wet and get some money built up for entry fees and required parts (cage, suspension, brakes, good seats and harness, fuel cell... etc)... around here we have some really good basic time trials on closed back roads and the occasional "cone coarse" on a gravel lot.... all this in Pomeroy, WA

Sound like a good plan. But remember when u do all ur upgrades and such that u will be moving up iin class....
For example: When u modify other stuff in ur vehicle (other than safety) u will move up in ranks/class of groups that u are allowed to enter. Everything counts and sometimes when ur car is modified they will put u in "2WD modified class" no matter what mods are done u will be in the group and it will be hard for a beginner because other ppl push lots of HP and weight reduced to teeth.
I made mods on my mx (weight reduction, exhaust, intake, headers, but not suspension) i was still shoved in an open modified 2WD class. And yes i still got the stock k8 that makes the Mazda nose dive like nothing. :(

hope this helps.
Stonefly

Post by Stonefly »

yep, i figured i would be tossed into the modified class... I'm gettin my ZE this week and i plan to have it all swapped and ready to go by oct 31... hopefully ill be able to get some more important upgrades before spring (suspension, brakes, clutch, 16 inch rims and tires)... or i can stick to the bone stock rwd class with my 2wd toyota pick-up... been runnin that thing on gravel and snow since i was 15
msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

u should defs not get 16's for gravel..... lol that will cause hell of a tire wear and for sure gonna bend ur rims.... For a starter i would stick to stock mazda rims.... or some honda onces.... ha ha this is my set up...
1) for snow/ice I'm using "snow flake" rims from a 93 mx3
2) For gravel I use miatas 14s
3) tarmac and cement i use 94+ gs rims. (16's would be amazing but I'm broke)

this is just to keep things organized and ready....

btw, i dunno why u would want to change the suspension, mine is stock nothing done to it (other than strut tower bars r/f) and never lost control yet.. (once on ice but that's bout it)

Start small, go big :)
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Don't drive your mx-3 on gravel, there's a start...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Stonefly

Post by Stonefly »

I liked the balance of a 16 on my Civic for gravel, good traction where i wanted it but when i wanted to sling it sideways, one scan flick and I was good to go at the right speed :shrug: ... Those were my old tsw hockenheims, unfortunately they went to the grasve with the old car.... having the width and height gave me the forgiveness i needed if i hit terrain and the grip i needed for the road sections, just an all around wheel, except on ice they were death :shock: ... I have some junk 15's that came with the car, not pretty but they came all dress up in snow tires, unfortunately i didnt get stock rims btu what can you ask for at $250...
As for not driving on gravel :lol: :lol: ... can't get anywhere here without gravel... I live 2 miles up a gravel road.... heck i take the gravel roads to town because i can make it faster than i can the highway (old people drive 55 and too much opposing traffic plus longer distance) but yeah, I just want to get the thing running and cornering the way I prefer before I race it... Some people like it fast and loose ya know
msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

as for not taking an MX on gravel... ummm have u ever done it???? The car handles so well, I know my 07 civic is better but the mx with little mods just GOES.... short wheel base is amazing... but im just saying man take ur time and make sure ur car is well protected :::))))
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

16s and gravel and my car make for knocked down trees :(
Cody
Stonefly

Post by Stonefly »

lol, i know what ya mean... the extra width of the tire makes them a little bit less forgiving on gravel than stock rims and rubber... but if you can get used to it, it makes drifting corners incredibly fun on gravel...

Return to “Appearance”