KLZE OBD2 Swap Help - UK

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE OBD2 Swap Help - UK

Post by Daninski »

Ok here's two pics showing the plugs location

As you can see I leave my cord plugged into the port. Just to clarify, i didn't do that crappy wiring, one more thing for me to fix. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ChrisNW

Post by ChrisNW »

Thanks for that. Pretty sure I don't have one of those though. Pity.
ChrisNW

Post by ChrisNW »

Ok we've tried all of the steps outlined, so it's that time. Time for a situation update.

The fuel rails are both sending fuel, we have spark on all plugs. Ignition on front three only.The three cylinders at the back of the V6 are not getting any fuel; sparkling clean plugs, no petrol smell. I'd imagine only firing half the cylinders to be a significant problem in any engine.

:lol:

We've come to the conclusion that there's a problem with the rear injectors underneath the intake manifold. The original black plastic cover to the injectors was broken during transit. It was replaced with the k8 plastic cover, which is identical in appearance, a perfect fit, and is extremely simple. A plastic cover, fitting over the injectors, with metal strips carrying the current from the connector on the right hand side. It's possible that one or more of the injectors on the metal frame was damaged also. We're using the ZE injectors of course, just the plastic K8 cover is being used to replace the broken ZE cover.

The broken plastic cover, and the k8 metal injector frame (for reference, identical appearance to ZE injector frame): -
http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv98 ... GE_607.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part in context, from the manual: -
http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv98 ... ectors.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I'm calling these parts incorrectly, let me know btw!

I'm going to get in touch with the suppliers, under warranty you see, and maybe try and get the injector parts from somewhere else quickly, so I can rule it out at least. I'd like to know whether or not: -

1) The KLDE intake manifold gasket is a perfect fit for the ZE.
2) Anyone in MX3 land has any of the ZE injector parts spare, or knows where they're going cheap, or has had similar trouble.
3) Anyone thinks we're barking up the wrong tree!

On the OBD2 thing, I wrongly stated in a post that the label said K853; it's K862(B). It has a metal plate covering the 4 ports, making you squash your head RIGHT INTO the carpet when you're upside down trying to see past the cables and metal covering plate. Still no sign of a connector though. Starting to think this is a UK or right hand drive thing, it's not just my 96+ UK model that the port is missing from. The diagnosis port does not work as on an OBD1.
Last edited by ChrisNW on August 17th, 2009, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Good luck! You'll get her runnin'.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

PM ND4SPSE he's scrapping his car and his ZE engine. Maybe he can ship his rails to you.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Surely the DE and ZE injectors are the same, so just find a set off any KL engine?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
ChrisNW

Post by ChrisNW »

Marcdh, you hit the nail on the head there.

Anyone know whether the DE / ZE injectors are interchangeable?
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I'm quite sure of it... ZE/DE are the same part -220cc flow injectors. Rails are also the same.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
ChrisNW

Post by ChrisNW »

This is all good, got hold of a supplier. :)
daryl

Post by daryl »

Whats the difference between the red and blue injectors?

We have the red ones on our millenia KLZE.

Also just out of interest are all K8 injectors white?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Come to think of it, I think OBD-II was only made mandatory in North America...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Red top = 180cc =K8
Blue top = 220cc = KLDE/KLZE
Burgundy = 280cc = Millenia S 2.3 KJ
View Worklog
daryl

Post by daryl »

Where does the colour show on the injector?

Just so I can check what I have here.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

These are KJ injectors, you can see the pink tab

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ChrisNW

Post by ChrisNW »

Synopsis is it's a ze into an OBD2 mx3.

Good news / bad news

Ok. So here's the situation after a long day.

We've changed the fuel injectors for replacement parts, and we've got fuel and spark on all cylinders. :)

We have the engine turning over, starting, and can get it to run extremely badly (pinking / missing) for a while with the right foot DOWN. It will not run at all without a lot of gas going in. Turning the key with no extra gas causes the engine to start, revs go up to 1500, then the engine dies. :shrug:

We've got a weird situation here. An OBD2 UK mx3, with no diagnostic port for the ECU. We have the diagnostic box under the hood, but when we follow the instructions to read the codes, the light we've plugged into the diagnostic box just glows for a couple of seconds before going out when we turn on the ignition. No codes.

Again, suggestions are greatly appreciated. I need to get the car up and running, the girlfriend's not happy. She's not happy at all (she found the receipts for this), come on people, help me out!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”