Gauge Cluster Removal

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
93vtecklr

Re: Gauge Cluster Removal

Post by 93vtecklr »

Yup, checked the fender tag inside passenger door jamb, it says 25-anniv!!!!!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

could someone post up what size screws are supppose to be used for the gauge cluster cause apparently im missing some.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

all the interior screws are the same, I believe. There is some forgiveness, as the metal brackets are a little bit malleable.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Post by wednesdayslatest »

yeah im trying to remove my cluster now since the electrical problem the mechanic said the lights are gone....i took apart the whole bottom half and the 10mm screws on the side top (2 each) and then the two on each side holding the middle bracket in, litterally i took all the plastic off the bottom im not sure what to remove now im kinda stuck....the cluster wont come out like its stuck or plugged into somthing so im assuming i need to take the dash out on the top just to get at it, i need the cluster lights working in order to pass inspection so its on me now....not only the cluster lights dont work but the temp control lights dont work as well (i know they run on the same circuit) see i put a 40amp fuse in my interior/exterior fuse, i paid someone to fix the problem YET the lights didnt turn back on. im kinda pissed i gotta pay this guy 200 bucks for nothing i could of cut and done the wires up myself but since that didnt fix the problem i started trying to take everything apart. any picture or diagrams on how i can finish getting this apart to take out the cluster?
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

what year of dash? I dont know about the bubble dash but the classic 92-93 dash theres 4 screws holding the actual cluster in. 2 up top and that i believe are easily visible when you take of the plastic surround and there are 2 screw on the bottom then it pulls right out....but dont go to far. Just enough to unplug the 3 wiring harnesses on the back
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
wednesdayslatest

kulluminati777 wrote:what year of dash? I dont know about the bubble dash but the classic 92-93 dash theres 4 screws holding the actual cluster in. 2 up top and that i believe are easily visible when you take of the plastic surround and there are 2 screw on the bottom then it pulls right out....but dont go to far. Just enough to unplug the 3 wiring harnesses on the back
theres the thing i cant pull it out far enough to do anything so i was going to take out the dash to change the bulbs i cant get at it from the bottom i literally have everything on my bottom and middle dash plastic takin off i got the bolts in the middle and the sides holding the frame but it wont move....so im just trying to figure i dont wanna pull it out and break something all the screws are out but the wire harness
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

you wont damage the harness. gently pull and pull just enough to get your hand back there. its not going to come out far.

If u can already reach behind the cluster the hard part is over. The wiring harness is three plugs they have a clip on the end u push down then pull the wire out.

here is a pic so u can see where to grab....

if its not moving at all you missed some screws. There is two on top of the cluster and two one the bottom

if u still have issues take a couple of pics so i can see what your working with :D
wednesdayslatest

that pic deff helped but i got all four screws LITERALLY it comes out i have big hands but there is no room i will try though again today now that i see. im asssuming that the harness that lpugs its attached to some plastic thing holding it back so when i pull only...an inch or two it will stop i just dont wanna brake it by doing so i dont know if any of thos wires are fryed or what
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Yeah they dont come out far. Hope you can get your hand back there at least.
wednesdayslatest

kulluminati777 wrote:Yeah they dont come out far. Hope you can get your hand back there at least.
i cant thats why im attempting to dissaemble everything but i cant seem to get the top part to come out if it does i can easily get the plugs from the top
wednesdayslatest

it was the MPH sensor thing in the back that was the hardest AND thats what was holding it in. i have the older mx3 so its all analog, it sucks the lightbulbs look perfectly fine, i got somthing already that i need to hardwire myself just need to connect the power and ill be good to go and probably pass inspection, thanks a lot i just spend over an hour putting stuff back together that didnt need to be taken off, oh well ill be on the board later when i get stuck with somthing else
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

cool cool, glad you go everything taken car of. Also at least you know what to do for the next time and with and old car there WILL be a next time lol
wednesdayslatest

i know its not part of this thread does anyone know what wire the cluter illumination comes from off the control stick at the steering wheel? since i rigged my own light source i want to get the power from a good spot so it turns on the way it should even though somewhere else there is a problem that it wont turn on. i just need to pass inspection. i can ground it anywhere just the power needs to come from some point where the power would normally go on when the stick is flipped into the parking light position ( i thought about doing it to the marker lights but when they blink the power would blink with it and i dont want that and i dont want to put it on a switch either

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”