good upgrades for 1.6 dohc

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Re: good upgrades for 1.6 dohc

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Thassodar wrote:Some guy was saying that the only turbo that was made for a SOHC MX-3 was made by mazda and doesn't exist anymore. Does that mean I can't buy a BPT (it's DOHC right?) and put it in my 92' 1.6L SOHC MX-3?

Ya, but the F-series will not fit in an Mx-3 without custom fabrication, so saying that it was "made for the Mx-3 by Mazda" wouldn't fit the bill.

The B6T is a DOHC turbo and that would work no problem, but it's DOHC. I don't believe Mazda has any SOHC Turbo B-series 4cyls...

The BP I know drops into a 92-93 Mx-3 no problem, and even uses the same harness. The only thing that's recommended is getting a longer geared trans....and on that note:

Thassodar wrote:Another noob question too: On a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would it be to put the V6 motor in my stock 92'? I've seen plenty for sale, and not many B6Ts or BPTs, so I may consider going the hard way and putting the V6 in. Thanks for any help.
[/quote]

a BP 4cyl makes 125-131hp. The K8 V6 makes 130hp. The BP bolts in, the K8 requires a shopping list of parts you have to replace, literally converting it to a V6. You'd basically need a GS doner car, and while you're at it, might as well swap to the tigher-turning GS rack, and pop in the rear disc brakes, oh, and could just throw on the rear tie bar too. It's all bolt-in, but much more than putting in a BP, which swaps like if you were to take out your 1.6 and put it back in, literally.

Indeed, RS_OBD'oh_2 does sound smug alot of the time, but I must side with him. Everything you've asked is stuff that gets asked and repeated pretty much on a weekly basis, so you would of easilly come across that info in your "readings"...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I was aiming for the site a-hole... sadly I have been outmatched by Colin. :wink:
I don't see what the big deal is? I admire how Colin is upfront and tells it as it is. Myself, I read like a mo-fo for over 2 years before I posted anything.. I did not want to look foolish.
I'm sorry to those who do not like honest answers.
now, back on topic.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Swapping from the 94 B6 DOHC to a BP is like night and day in terms
of power. You might be ok with what the BP makes NA, moderate
power and great fuel economy. If not theres a plethora of things for
the BP engine due to the Miata crowd. If you want to swap a BP into
your 94, have a browse at the worklog link below. Shows all the crap
necessary and I even have the wiring all layed out.
XxX

Post by XxX »

I bought my car with BP05 engine,but in car documents its stated that it is b6 mazda stock engine with 79kw(strange!!). So how much hp and kw has BP05 engine? And what parts are swapped when swapping from b6 to bp? Tranny or CV Axle is swapped? On tranny i have a stick with model "F5 f5d6". It is a stock mx3 tranny? Because i dont know for what engine model(b6 or bp) to buy parts. Do CV shaft is different?Or wheel bearings?
For example cilinder head cover gasket i think is different for b6 and bp05.It fits good,but when i had b6 gasket on bp05, some oil run throughout gasket(i used sealant - didn't helped),and when i changed to bp gasket its fine - no oil run.
MX-3 1.8 BP DOHC
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

XxX wrote:I bought my car with BP05 engine,but in car documents its stated that it is b6 mazda stock engine with 79kw(strange!!). So how much hp and kw has BP05 engine? And what parts are swapped when swapping from b6 to bp? Tranny or CV Axle is swapped? On tranny i have a stick with model "F5 f5d6". It is a stock mx3 tranny? Because i dont know for what engine model(b6 or bp) to buy parts. Do CV shaft is different?Or wheel bearings?
For example cilinder head cover gasket i think is different for b6 and bp05.It fits good,but when i had b6 gasket on bp05, some oil run throughout gasket(i used sealant - didn't helped),and when i changed to bp gasket its fine - no oil run.
It's not that complicated. If you have a BP motor, treat it as such, so don't use anything for the engine related to a B6, it probably won't work. They're different motors, plain and simple.

Tranny, it depends, you have have stock, or you may have something else, but as far as I can tell, as me not bing a 4cyl guy, that you have your stock B6 trans.

Stock CV's match up, wheel bearings are untouched.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”