WHICH KLZE IS BEST FOR MX3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: WHICH KLZE IS BEST FOR MX3

Post by Daninski »

Ding Ding, round two. :lol:

Good info. So with all that said I ask this question. If we simple buy a cured neck will we really notice any difference without the much revered CAMS. I honestly think not. But then WTF do I know. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Custommx3 wrote:
Actually I did read you correctly and was stating the DIFFERENCES between a DE vs ZE, if you would READ what I said.

Runners DO make a difference. Larger ports = more airflow = more power.
Retainers - they are different on a ZE, and yes Im aware the DE's are better thats why I used them in the ZE I BUILT.
Heads - Larger intake an exhaust ports = better/larger air flow = more power
Cams - a KLZE with w/ KL01 and a KL31 pretty much ar ethe same.
We took an MX-3 with a Straight neck and one with a curved neck. Put them on the track, guess who were neck and neck @ the finish?
The EGR takes away power from the engine - the KLZE has no egr = morepower.
The KLZE ECU is different, as its set up for the different VAF points and to take advanatge of the higher octane levels of the KLZE = more power. the KLZE requires a JE50 as opposed to the KL03 VAF - hence a difference.

Ive built KLZEs and KFZE's. Ive swapped MANY DE and ZE's in my day. Im aware of the differences between them.

A POS, 200K ZE will absolultley have less performance than a brand new DE. Its called loss of compression. Oh, and lets get the facts straight, it's not a DE, its called a KL.

You need to get a few things straight matey, first of all, why are you using ZE and DE terminology, then telling me to "get my facts straight" and that it's called a KL. Who care's, DE is an easy way to label the non jap spec KL engine...

Either way, I said there's not much difference between them and you clearly took it the wrong way. I'm talking purely about performance. You just said the straight and curved were neck and neck at the finish....well what's the point of highlighting all the differences between the internals and whatnot when they're "neck and neck" at the finish?. Or are you talking about two straight neck engines, one with a curved intake swapped onto it? Need to be clear about that stuff...

A good KLZE and a good KLDE might only have half a second difference down the 1/4. That's hardly a big difference. In the grand scheme of things, it's not much to brag about. If the ZE engine allowed us to get 13 second 1/4 and the DE gave us 15's, then fine that's a big difference. Saying this part and that part give the car more power may be true, but how much? 1-2HP for each thing? That's not massive. It's not impressive like a turbo car when you put a better exhaust and intercooler on and up the boost. That's generally an easy 20-30% more power no problem.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

RX8SE3P wrote: You just said the straight and curved were neck and neck at the finish....well what's the point of highlighting all the differences between the internals and whatnot when they're "neck and neck" at the finish?
Because people are saying that curved-neck ZE's are actually DE's, and that one can choose between a straight neck or curved neck and be happy that they have a ZE one way or another, with comprable performance.
RX8SE3P wrote:A good KLZE and a good KLDE might only have half a second difference down the 1/4. That's hardly a big difference. In the grand scheme of things, it's not much to brag about. If the ZE engine allowed us to get 13 second 1/4 and the DE gave us 15's, then fine that's a big difference.

Best drivers I know, his ZE hit 13.8 (search Aaron the Hic) on a bare ZE. I've personally raced against the fastest DE Mx-3 I've ever known (search thebonestockkid) who's fastest is 14.6 on a DE. Those were awesome drivers too and most can't even come close to that. That's almost a second difference right there.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

RX8SE3P wrote: You need to get a few things straight matey, first of all, why are you using ZE and DE terminology, then telling me to "get my facts straight" and that it's called a
KL. Who care's, DE is an easy way to label the non jap spec KL engine...
Regardless, if your going to come to this forum and post misleading information, then the facts are facts, it's a KL.

RX8SE3P wrote: Either way, I said there's not much difference between them and you clearly took it the wrong way. I'm talking purely about performance. You just said the straight and curved were neck and neck at the finish....well what's the point of highlighting all the differences between the internals and whatnot when they're "neck and neck" at the finish?. Or are you talking about two straight neck engines, one with a curved intake swapped onto it? Need to be clear about that stuff...
I was not specifying differences between KLZE straight necks and curved necks. I was specifying KL and KLZE differences to show that there are MANY differences. The straight and curved neck KLZE's were neck and neck at the finish. Line up a KL, and they would loose stock for stock.
RX8SE3P wrote: A good KLZE and a good KLDE might only have half a second difference down the 1/4. That's hardly a big difference. In the grand scheme of things, it's not much to brag about. If the ZE engine allowed us to get 13 second 1/4 and the DE gave us 15's, then fine that's a big difference. Saying this part and that part give the car more power may be true, but how much? 1-2HP for each thing? That's not massive. It's not impressive like a turbo car when you put a better exhaust and intercooler on and up the boost. That's generally an easy 20-30% more power no problem.
If you want to talk specifics, KL's (PGT and MS6) have 164HP, KLZE have 190-195HP. That's a 15.9% gain. 31HP is alot of a car this size, the DOHC RS and GS power difference is only 25 HP, and there's a BIG performance difference between the two.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

ze's rule!!
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”