Ebay buyers BEWARE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
colinf004

Re: Ebay buyers BEWARE

Post by colinf004 »

ok its a tough call though... I will think it over once I remove the heads and diagnose my engine problems I am having
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

As Marc says, check the stretch. There is a spec. On a very high compression engine or one boosted over 7psi or so I would say it is getting pretty critical, but for standard duty stock engines I have never had a problem reusing the headbolts...many times in some cases.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

ok sounds good, I will just buy new head bolts. safety first.
back to my original question about the bearings and piston rings I bought on ebay, if anyone has bought them before have you noticed and silver metal shavings in your oil after a 5000kms?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

There is a certain abount of break-in wear, that can be alarming. That's why you should change your oil after the 1st 500 miles, and then 1,000. You can have your oil sent to a place where they will analyze it, and tell you exactly what's happenening, and if it's within range.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I have been changing my oil about 1000-2000 kms..
my last oil change I did2 weeks ago before I put it away for summer, the next day it was filled with metal shavings. and I finished my swap at the end of auguest..
I should be seeing shavings like this 3 months later......
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That does not sound right. It's a bit expensive to send your oil to be analyzed, but cheaper than a new engine.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Roll a magnet around in it.

Revelation. Why don't we drop magnets in the bottom of our oil pans? I think we do already.... but why not more? I have access to cattle grade magnets, I think those would work awesome (same job, but in an more terrible environment)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I am going to take my heads off again and take a look at my cylinder walls to see if I see oil burns or damaged! (fingers crossed) going to check my new valves, you know do an examination. I will keep you guys posted in a month or so, I am kinda busy ATM.
still doing some research on where I can get a headgasket at a fairly good price, because where I am I can get the pair for $576, which is extremely high for gaskets!
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Ryan wrote:Roll a magnet around in it.

Revelation. Why don't we drop magnets in the bottom of our oil pans? I think we do already.... but why not more? I have access to cattle grade magnets, I think those would work awesome (same job, but in an more terrible environment)
I'm sure you're aware of this but for those that aren't, you can buy magnetic sump plugs. They have a protruding magnet that collects shavings, have to say it does work, but could be better. However our blocks are aluminium so shavings of that of course won't be caught!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

true say
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Really? I didn't know our blocks were aluminum :oops: I guess thats what oil filters are for.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I've been wanting to remember to go to my sourch for Rare Earth magnets, and fasten them all around my oil filter. There's a couple products that are just that, but are a little pricey, and not much magnets in them. I can get hard drive magnets for free, if I can just remember to get down there.. This way, the metal gets trapped in your filter, and you throw it away.
What the heck is cattle grade? The hard drive magnets are so strong that I have a hard time pulling them off the fridge, and I have strong fingers.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Not sure what they're really called, but they're cylndrical and you cram them down a cows throat to sit in their first stomach and gather nails untill they die. Very corrosive resistant :wink: and quite strong too.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”