93SOHC 93 mx-3 GSSE

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
93SOHC

Re: 93SOHC 93 mx-3 GSSE

Post by 93SOHC »

Update: Got an awesome deal on a 98 626 mtx today so tranny swap will be under way as soon as the snow goes away. Also since I updated last I got a set of ebay strut bars. They are a bit chintzy but I have used them b4 and they do the job just fine. Still haven't gotten a core support yet, but I found a place that'll cut one out for $100 so I may go that route. I still also need pedal assembly, linkage, master, etc for the atx to mtx swap, but I feel like I am gaining some headway on this thing. I hate body work!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Another update. I went to a local dealer and found a black mx with a DE swap already done and it was done well. Has a curved neck. The motor is mad clean, the body ain't too shabby either. It is fairly riced out with hood pins and the rear half of the old eribuni kit(rear bumper and giant supra wing, etc but between my se and this 92 GS I could make one sweet ride. The price is right so I hope its still there when I get my taxes back in a week or 2. The dealer said he hadn't had much interest in it cause of the engine swap(ford valve covers) I think this is a good route to go even though my SE is clean, it need so much work and I was gonna paint it black anyway.

What do you all think I should do?
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Uh, that looks like a K8 engine to me. Unless they used the K8 intake manifold on the KL-DE, but why anyone would do that is beyond me...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Savin

Post by Savin »

Buy the black one and sell the SE to me, muwhahaha. :twisted:
Naw, but you should get the black one and boost that, (that was your plan for the SE wasn't it?) and fix the SE all purdy-like. :mrgreen:

But why does the DE have a K8 intake? (meh...Flyer got to it first)
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

This is why I was concerned. Is it possible that the K8 has for valve covers? Or is it a DE with a K8 IM? I thought it looked weird? Is it possible to use the K8 IM on a DE 2.5? At first I thought it had a curved neck but then I got home and looked at my K8 and was like wtf? Any easy way to ID this thing Myabe I should post that pic in the v6 section or make a thread to link it to here
Savin

Post by Savin »

Well, a K8 intake can work on a ZE, its impractical, but it can be done. I don't see why it would be any different for the DE.
Maybe the person just wanted a stock looking engine? Or maybe they didn't want to go through the hassle of whatever it is you V6 guys go through.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Except the KL-DE drops RIGHT in...intake manifold and everything. I believe the one manifold that has an issue is the stright-neck KL-ZE, and even that has been done.

I think the only way to verify would be to check the cams. It IS a dealership after all...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Why not just check the head codes? KL for a DE, KL31 for a ZE.

93SOHC wrote:The dealer said he hadn't had much interest in it cause of the engine swap(ford valve covers)
Well, some people would be skeptical because they think it's a Ford motor, so it would be a POS, regardless that it's a Mazda motor. Why would people NOT want an extra 35hp and 50ft-lbs of torque?!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Where is it stamped on the head? I am new to the V6 world
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

top of the head, you have to look between the intake runners, with a flashlight more likely.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Umm wouldn't the De straight neck contact the brake reservoir that's why they used the K8 intake?
That's not a 92 K8 for sure, look at the coolant cap, no phenolic/plastic adapter.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes. It was common long ago for people to put in DE's with K8 IM's. Let us know what the head code says!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

The giant FORD leads me to believe its from a PGT...why would they swap VC's? My bet is a DE w/ a K8 IM.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I would assume it is in fact a DE. From the other aftermarket parts, i'd assume that this car was modded some time ago. I have a couple hits on my Festiva for sale so if it goes, than this mx will have a new home next to my SE!. I'm running outta space in my driveway so i gotta make room. I will check the head code to be sure when I go to visit the car again next week. Thanks all
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Update: Didn't buy that other mx. I was afraid of dealing with someone elses handy work. I did however purchase a 96 mx6 for the motor and trans and etc. The car is a box of crap but it has most of what I need and 130000 miles. I got it from a shop I do business with at work and for a scant $600 the shop is pulling anything I want from the vehicle. Also got my front core support today. Now all i need is warm weather! Pics soon!

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”