Aasco Lightweight Flywheels?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Aasco Lightweight Flywheels?

Post by Mooneggs »

Here's the update... he sent me an email friday saying the aasco was first under 9 pounds then confirms it is 9.2 pounds... read below...

Hi Again, I just got off the phone with Vince, the owner of Aasco Motorsports. The flywheel is exactly 9.2lbs. 11lbs is a shipping weight including packaging. You are welcome to call Aasco and confirm it with Vince.

Aasco either misunderstood you or the person on the phone gave you inaccurate information. It weighs 9lbs. Some probe flwyheels (such as the 2.2L turbo model which is actually bigger then the 2.5L v6 model) are more like 11lbs. We just weighed it on a Kitchen scale that measures up to 10lbs and it actually came in at slightly under 9lbs. Even visually Aasco and Fidanza look very similar, I am very surprised there would be a 25% weight difference! I have driven both, there is no way there is any difference if feel of the two models. Also, when you do your research, compare the prices on Aasco flywheels vs. Fidanza.. the price is significantly more. Fidanza is making lots of stuff in China these days. I've had numerous flywheels with dowl pins in the wrong place. Runout on the Fidanza flywheel is no where near as good as Aasco. The friction surfaces on Fidanza flywheels are just rolled sheet steel stamped. The Aasco friction surfaces are heat treated and significantly more durable. That is why I just switched recently to Fidanza. In short you are getting a much better deal on a better flywheel.

I dunno guys I may go with the aasco :shrug: I'm going to think about it for a day or so...
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

If it is indeed heat treated, and not just passed over w/ a carbonized material it will be stronger. If they are the same weight, even better. Generally I'm against a "harder" material, but since it's just a friction surface there shouldn't be any brittleness problems. Good luck!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

meh I know the fidanza has worked great the last 5 years in a hard driven ze so I'm going with fidanza again.
Rafi

Post by Rafi »

Hi All,

I'm Rafi, and I run RR-racing.

Hopefully you've heard of me, I've servicing the Probe/MX6 community for 7 years.

About 6 years ago, I approached Fidanza and paid for the first production run of flywheels (just go to Probetalk and you can probably locate the very first BB run that I sold out of 6 years ago!). Back then I had a hard time convincing everyone that 9lbs was not too light for a flywheel! To make a long story short, I think it is safe to say that I was the one who put Fidanza on the map in the Probe/Mx6 community.

Very Recently, I switched to a new brand of flywheels made by Aasco Motorsports. Here are the details, as some of the information posted here is not accurate. I made the switch, because I honestly believe I am now selling an even BETTER product:

(1) Aasco Motorsports is well know for the line of Porsche flywheels, just ask anyone who deals in the Porsche marketplace.

(2) For other car lines, Aasco Motorsports manufactures flywheels for others, such as some clutch manufacturers, etc (I am not allowed to publically mention the names).

(3) Mazdaspeed aluminum flywheels were used by the Speed World Challenge Protege's and 6's are made by Aasco Motorsports, not Fidanza.

(4) Aasco flywheels are made in California, Fidanza is outsourcing much of their products to China to save money.

(5) I have personally measured runout on the Aasco flywheels, and it is about 40% better then Fidanza.

(6) Aasco flywheels officially weight 9.2lbs, not 11lbs.

(7) Aasco flywheels use a much more expensive to produce friction surface. Fidanza just bolts in a rolled steel plate, Aasco heat treats their plate and hardens it to make it more homogenious. This significantly reduces chances of chatter, particularly if you use "puck" style clutches.

(8) Regarding someone's comment that Fidanza has more bolts holding the friction kit then Fidanza. More is not always better. When we first came out with the Fidanza flywheels, they had 18 bolts, now they have 16. Fidanza reduced it for a good reason (actually due to warpage issues). Also, there is another issue, since the bolt notches are inset, technically speaking they accellerate wear of the disk (just as drilled/slotted rotors accellerate wear of the brake pad). Provided that the flywheel is well tested and friction surface is durable, you typically want to put as few notches in it as you can.

(8) My appologies to the buyer for not updating the website, i first had to sell all my fidanza stock.

(9) Since I just started selling Aasco Motorsports flywheels, I am giving my word that if you are not happy with the quality of the flywheel, or it isn't better then Fidanza, i will gladly refund the money. I've been around this community for longer then most, and I believe my reputation as a probe/mx6 vendor is second to none, so take it for what its worth.

BTW, my email is Rafi@RR-racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Rafi
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

How bout them apples :P
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

My favorite MX3 online parts store in the UK, has these Flywheels for sale ... they are not cheap, maybe with the KLDE :)
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I have finally decided to go with the Aasco flywheel! I'll take pics etc and give some feedback once I have it installed!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Just wanted to let everyone know I received my aasco flywheel today - I weighed it on a digital scale at work and it was exactly 9 lbs!

I can't wait to install this!
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

thats awesome...... let me know how it works out cause i need a new clutch and was thinking to do the whole combo at once.
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

BTW, how much is it, cause on rr-racing it still lists fidanza, not aasco
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Mooneggs wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know I received my aasco flywheel today - I weighed it on a digital scale at work and it was exactly 9 lbs!

I can't wait to install this!
installed yet?
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

nope not installed yet... probably sometime in November once I have the engine and everything ready....

go to rr-racing and email them if you want to buy it... he says in this thread he hasn't updated the site yet...

This flywheel looks really well made... can't wait to try it!

here's some pics...

mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Does look good, Ill be looking into one of these.

MoonEggs: Let us know how it works out and how it feels once you get it installed!
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

install it yet? :)

any difference between aasco and fidanza?
92 Mazda MX3 GS

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

it's getting installed wednesday, then the car should be running by sunday!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”