Horsepower

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mdgain

Re: Horsepower

Post by mdgain »

Any particular brand or place to find those SuperK?
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

What about the 2.3L KJS, Will that fit in the MX-3 and bolt up to the tranny?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

mdgain wrote:Any particular brand or place to find those SuperK?
He's making fun of you...but he means well. He just does that a little. There's actually a thread about worthless gimmick bolt-ons to avoid and those are the three top rated retarded things to buy.

The 2.0 is a decent engine, but no better than your 1.8. Any engine can put out decent power if you build it right. The rule of thumb used to be that ponies are about $10 a piece. Now they are about $20 a piece. So 50 will cost you at least $1000 on average. There are guys who have done bargain turbo projects for less, but most don't last long.

I think it's about time that you were told to go do some reading. There is almost 10 years of experience in this forum's archives. Every question imaginable has been asked and answered many times. Start with the 4cyl FAQ section and read it all. You will learn much young one.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

I may be young to this site, but at 33 years old married twice with 4 kids, I'm hardly young.

Thanks for the info anyway, I'll try and leave you old guys alone!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Hey it's not like that man. But you can learn alot of this just by reading what those who've come before you have written. Seriously, it's right at your fingertips...I mean mouse tip...

I sent you a PM.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
nightridergsr

Post by nightridergsr »

NOS?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mdgain wrote:I am looking to get more horsepower out of my 94 1.6 DOCH. Without an engine swap or a total rebuild, how can I get 40 to 50 more ponies? Is it even possible?
Not likely. Possibly if you spend the cash, if you want to do it cheaply, no way in hell. If it was that possible, Mazda would of done it from the factory.

Cheapest would be Nitrous
Next option would probably be a (~130hp) BP swap
Thirt would be a turbo on your stock motor
Finally would be a turbo BP/BPT
Mi|<E wrote:Performance chips do nothing except fool the car into dumping more gas into the combustion chamber giving it a false improvement.

Anything less than a standalone on the car is not improving power or fuel economy.

There is no supercharger for the B6 either. There is one for the BP Miata engine but its also several thousand off of flyinmiata.com. Turbo > Supercharger on small engine.
Exactly. Dumping more fuel could actually reduce power. To get more power you need to run leaner (too lean and you'll blow the motor). A more precise fuel mixture from a fuel-management system would yeild more power, but not some eBay-Resistor-In-A-Box.

BTW, you can get supercharger kits for the 1.6 Miata. They're quite popular with the autocrossers, but may not work because of the Miata's motor mounted longitudally.

mdgain wrote:Is the 2.0L worth a damn?
Swapping in an FE is completely the opposite on what you want to do. It's probably the strongest Mazda motor ever built (yes, better than GTR BPT), but a custom job (ie: expensive) to get it into an Mx-3. That's a motor is you want super-high horsepower, like literally beyond 400-500hp. You'd be way, way better to put in a BPT for simplicity, availability and price.
mdgain wrote:What about the 2.3L KJS, Will that fit in the MX-3 and bolt up to the tranny?
That's even more complex that the 2.0L. I'm not sure if your searching but your questions are way out of left field. The KJ-ZEM is a 90* V6 that, although mostly bolts up to a V6 tranny, it's 90* configuation means it'll likely not to actually fit in the engine bay since our Mx-3's take the 60* V6's K8, KF and KL's. It actually may even be too tall aswell. Some people have tried a few things to see if it's plausible, but it's never been done nor attempted. Besides, it's a complex 210hp motor designed for efficiency, not performance. Your better off converting to a V6 and putting in a KLDE (160-170hp) or KLZE (198hp). That's probably as complex as a 2.0L swap, but it's all bolt-in, it's just alot of stuff to change over, you'd be better off starting off with a GS V6 cause you'll liternally need one as a donor car.

To get 150hp out of a B6, you'd have to turn it into a race motor, alot of headwork, could bore it out a bit if you want. really agressive cams, lighten the bottom end and upgrade the valvetrain and rev the sh*t out of the motor. Same could be done if you swapped in a BP, but those kinds of modifications aren't cheap. Weight reduction mods would help quicken the car too.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on August 24th, 2008, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
npspears

Post by npspears »

I just wanted to say, good quality post there Nd4SpdSe
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm sure some of you guys wonder why Honda's make than kind of power; it's mostly because of their design. They use short stroke motors, great for reving high, but you sacrifice torque. A B16 can rev from 7600rpms to 9200rpms, which is why they can make that kind of power. If you notice, your B6 redlines at a "measly" 6500rpms. B16's start making 150hp around 7600 on the B16A. Also another trick to the Honda's is their VTEC system where the motor basically has 2 sets of cam profiles. They have an aggressive race-like profile that kicks-in in the upper RPM range. You can get cams made that are just as aggressive, but with them being that agressive it sacrifices the streetability of the motor, that's there the VTEC system is beneficial where it can switch from a street profile for low rpms and kick in an aggressive profile high-up.

There's possibly ways to do it. but you'll be doing alot of R&D and basically designing a motor from scratch.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

Sorry bout being all over the place, I usually work on my own car with everything but engine work. I am going to try and venture down that path with my mx-3 and just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the best way(s) to go. I appreciate all the info, you guys are great! Thanks again.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”