[GI] REAL CARBON FIBER HATCH INTERESTED???

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: [GI] REAL CARBON FIBER HATCH INTERESTED???

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

EZ_4_FUN wrote:I'd be inclined to make it with just the garnish; this would allow everyone to mount either a factory or aftermarket spoiler to it.

The little glass area could be eliminated, but I like it so I'd say keep it.

Polycarbonate (Lexan) is transparent or opaque; as you want it.

ITs CF so stress is its friend!

You like the hood I sold you? then don't worry about fitment mikey; like a glove!
You mean without the garnish, no? Some spoilers need to have it bare, especially those who want the GS (especially the wrap around) spoiler. I'd personally like it garnish-less so I can put my painted RS garnish on it.

Yes, rear window is a must.

CF is strong, supposibly ;) I'd give it a try, but it would be nice to have something, even like some small metal reinforcements in between the layers just to strengthen that part. I'd even pay a bit more to have something done extra in that area

I love the hood I got from you, fitament was very nice, but clearance sucked. I apparently have the only CF hood that hits both the Intake Manifold and the Disty :( But I don't think it has nothing to do with the hood.

About the Lexan, you'll find some interesting info in here:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marlon wrote:
MX03-07-3001-LX C 1 Rear Window MX3 1992-95 Lexan™ mar-resistant
$400 us from mazda motorsports[/quote]
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I would definitely want the little window, and maybe even bigger. I'm going to try to extend my Poly window over where the spoiler, or garnish would go, and possibly seal the 2 windows together.
Polycarbonate is mar-resistant, but not as much as glass. It's basically plastic empregnated with water (Wierd, huh?). I'm going to put light tint on both sides, for mar resistance. This is especially important on the side windows, because they will streak after a while (rubbing on the seals). Otherwise they are optical quality. They will give me alot more visibility out the back, since I won't have the black sealant protector around the edges.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Thanks!

Given the legality of it all and from what I have found, the relative ease of making a rear window from polycarb, I think It would be best if this "potential hatch in CF" be only the hatch. Each member can then figure out whether or not they will go with a polycarb window or not.

Fowljesse looks like he's on the raod to a DYI sticky, so I imagine everyone will have the knowhow to make there own (seems easy enough from my bit of researching)

So no garnish it is. That will accomodate everyone whether they want to go with on the garnish or put a sploiler on of their choice.

Mike, you dont need any metal reinforcements other than the ones that are required for the mounting brackets; trust me.

Now all we need are the "I's" of comitment!

I !! (9 more to go)
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

EZ_4_FUN wrote:Thanks!

Given the legality of it all and from what I have found, the relative ease of making a rear window from polycarb, I think It would be best if this "potential hatch in CF" be only the hatch. Each member can then figure out whether or not they will go with a polycarb window or not.

Fowljesse looks like he's on the raod to a DYI sticky, so I imagine everyone will have the knowhow to make there own (seems easy enough from my bit of researching)

So no garnish it is. That will accomodate everyone whether they want to go with on the garnish or put a

I !! (9 more to go)
So say we all.... I!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You know Oscar, you've got me convinced...I may just have to "I" as well ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Mooneggs wrote:I'm interested but the mx-3 has an edge all the way around... it looks like the ford probe hatch just has a rectangle at the back...

I'm just wondering if the entire thing would be fiberglass/ carbon fiber? is that hatch on the probe just overlaid?? I'm guessing they would ship without glass to save on shipping... then we could fit lexan or something else :o

I would be willing to pay that much if it's as good as it seems... maybe if Jesse's and mine ship together we could split the freight!! :mrgreen:
might as well make it a three pack!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

fowljesse wrote:I would definitely want the little window, and maybe even bigger. I'm going to try to extend my Poly window over where the spoiler, or garnish would go, and possibly seal the 2 windows together.
Polycarbonate is mar-resistant, but not as much as glass. It's basically plastic empregnated with water (Wierd, huh?). I'm going to put light tint on both sides, for mar resistance. This is especially important on the side windows, because they will streak after a while (rubbing on the seals). Otherwise they are optical quality. They will give me alot more visibility out the back, since I won't have the black sealant protector around the edges.
Would tint over the poly help with scratching?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Definitely
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I called Corksport, they can get the Lexan hatch window for non MMS members, runs for $795.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I called Corksport, they can get the Lexan hatch window for non MMS members, runs for $795.
Yup I called em about it last month...too rich for my blood. Might as well do what fowljesse is doing and make one.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

cjthor wrote:
Mooneggs wrote:I would be willing to pay that much if it's as good as it seems... maybe if Jesse's and mine ship together we could split the freight!! :mrgreen:
might as well make it a three pack!
so when are we getting ours??? :mrgreen: :welder:
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Sooooo Mooneggs?? Fowljesse??? Is that an "I" for the hatch? We are halfway there!!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Oh... okay. If it happens, I'll get one. I would prefer a FG one for less $$, if possible.. Well, I know it's possible, but if you're willing, Oscar, and we would ship them all together. Maybe that way, I could afford a hood, too, if it could be shipped with the hatches.
I will make the glass as soon as the visors are done, and could sell them, and put up a "how to".
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

fowljesse wrote:Oh... okay. If it happens, I'll get one. I would prefer a FG one for less $$, if possible.. Well, I know it's possible, but if you're willing, Oscar, and we would ship them all together. Maybe that way, I could afford a hood, too, if it could be shipped with the hatches.
I will make the glass as soon as the visors are done, and could sell them, and put up a "how to".
SO it would be three hatches and probably two hoods!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

cjthor wrote:Sooooo Mooneggs?? Fowljesse??? Is that an "I" for the hatch? We are halfway there!!
Please "I" it in the new thread so that I have an official count.

Its not looking good; we'll still be at 5 at most...

c'mon guys, where are all the hardcore members?!!! Here's an opportunity for new goods to be manufactured for the mx-3.
OSKY

Return to “New Product Development”