Intermittent loss of power/fuel

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
tftech

Re: Intermittent loss of power/fuel

Post by tftech »

----Update-----

The Junkyard gods were smiling. I walked into the yard and the absolute very first car I see is a '92 MX-3 1.6l. I promptly remove the back seat.

I found a very clean tank and fuel pump assembly at a local Junkyard. Fuel pump and screen are incredibly clean, tank is as well. He must have just gotten new ones before whatever crash put his car in the yard. Screen is even the longer rectangular one not the stock square one.

One thing I learned is that the Junkyard gods are cruel gods. What I learned is that whenever they bring a car into the yard they punch holes in every gas tank. Safety, Smaftey.

$30 for the tank, $30 for the entire fuel pump assembly, I could not pass up.

I brazed ( by 'I' I mean a friend that knows how to do this stuff ) the 3 holes (not 1, not 2, but 3). Used 2 nickels and one quarter to cover the holes and welded them shut. Added a bit of JB Weld for good measure, painted, and used spray on undercoating.

So, to this point, I have replaced the fuel tank, fuel filter, and the Water Temp Sensor. I removed and cleaned the TB and TPS.

Monday will be the first full test of a drive back and forth to work. I will post my results for others. Thanks.
1992 1.6l MX-3 Base Model
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Wrong post shameem??? Ok I wanted to add that years ago my Toyota use to buck and act up on the hwy but was usually ok at idle. Turns out the fuel strainer came off, would float around then plug my fuel intake line. I reattached it and the problem went away. Same thing when I bought bad/dirty gas and my fuel filter(clear plastic one) got plugged with crap. I think you found your problem. Now just clean out your tank, clean the screen and as they say Bob's yer uncle. If you know any aircraft mechanic, we use a tank top coat inside some aircraft fuel tanks. That's the only place I know to get a tank sealant. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
tftech

Post by tftech »

----Update----

3 Days so far back and forth to work and no problem. I am really hoping that my problem is resolved. The car seems to not be 100%, about 93%. Still have a couple of other small things to do, but at this point it seems like the rusty gas tank was a huge problem.

I will update if the problem comes back.

Thank you everybody for all the input.

Thor
1992 1.6l MX-3 Base Model
npspears

Post by npspears »

thanks for the update. There is some rust beneath my gas cap on my car. I hope this won't happen to me. Good luck to you.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”