drag strip first timer - poor times

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: drag strip first timer - poor times

Post by Daninski »

I have a MX-6 clutch that slips if I power shift my ZE. What RPM is best for the hole shot and is it better to slip a bit at shift or should I back off momentarily so the clutch grabs solid. I don't want to be too embarrassed my first time out. Oh ya, what about tire pressure?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

dont do drag race if ure clutch (or anything else) isin't ready for it, you'll do worst time than ever, and have good chances to break something

for the tires presure, dont change anything on you street tires, dont even warm them up,
obviously it's another storie if you use drag radial or full slick
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
u have the Zoom Zoom feeling?
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

fowljesse wrote:[
It's been a really long time since I've raced anything, let alone from a dead stand-still. IF I remember right I think I was dumping somewhere around 2500-3000rpm and wheel hopping quite a bit through first gear. I'm still surprised to this day I never broke anything thing in the suspension department with that car.

What kind of tires are you running JW?

Thanks for the vouch Nd4Spd! How is the ol' girl doing anyway?
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I could never get good 60ft'ers. My times would get better as i started to launch higher in the revs (above 3000) but wheelhop was violent. Tried powershifts and even roasting the clutch at launches and it seems I've been stuck at the mid 15's (despite all the mods), but she may be getting tired too. It was funny, my personal best was 15.06 and that was with just the swap and stock everything else (a friend got a 14.75 on the first run with that same setup).

Well, she's doing well except for the motor. Something's wrong, happened after some work and the throttle cable got stuck and bounced off the rev limiter a dozen times. Could be a broken valve retainer, maybe a spun rod bearing or maybe the timing belt skipped a tooth. She's been off the road since November, but I'm taking this time to do a full rebuild on her with many, many upgrades. :welder:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
93mx-3boy

Post by 93mx-3boy »

ok i got two questions for you guys fist one do you know what a stock mx-3 gs automatac runs :? i was thinkin about taking mine to the track but i don't want to get there and find out it runs shity times or i will have a shitty time lol and second question i have been thinking about this one for a wile now what one do you think is faster on the track a stock 93 mx-3 or a stock mx-6 :shrug:
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I could never get good 60ft'ers. My times would get better as i started to launch higher in the revs (above 3000) but wheelhop was violent. Tried powershifts and even roasting the clutch at launches and it seems I've been stuck at the mid 15's (despite all the mods), but she may be getting tired too. It was funny, my personal best was 15.06 and that was with just the swap and stock everything else (a friend got a 14.75 on the first run with that same setup).

Well, she's doing well except for the motor. Something's wrong, happened after some work and the throttle cable got stuck and bounced off the rev limiter a dozen times. Could be a broken valve retainer, maybe a spun rod bearing or maybe the timing belt skipped a tooth. She's been off the road since November, but I'm taking this time to do a full rebuild on her with many, many upgrades. :welder:
Ah you got things on the go with your ride too eh, man? I've joined the honda game myself (post-Jeep). Much better N/A potential, lack of torque aside. You will have to keep me updated on your progress though. Within the next couple of weeks I'm dumping either a USDM or JDM ITR swap in, I haven't really decided which yet, but for now I have access to both so we'll see how it goes.
93mx-3boy wrote:ok i got two questions for you guys fist one do you know what a stock mx-3 gs automatac runs :? i was thinkin about taking mine to the track but i don't want to get there and find out it runs shity times or i will have a shitty time lol and second question i have been thinking about this one for a wile now what one do you think is faster on the track a stock 93 mx-3 or a stock mx-6 :shrug:
I'd take it to the track just for kicks, but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere past 17 seconds tops, and that's if it's a GS. An MX-6 will destroy and mx-3 stock vs stock (V6 vs. V6)
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

thebonestockkid wrote: Ah you got things on the go with your ride too eh, man? I've joined the honda game myself (post-Jeep). Much better N/A potential, lack of torque aside. You will have to keep me updated on your progress though. Within the next couple of weeks I'm dumping either a USDM or JDM ITR swap in, I haven't really decided which yet, but for now I have access to both so we'll see how it goes.
Actually it never stopped ;) She should be running for the start of next year. I'll definitely keep ya updated. Hopefully we could hit up Cayuga, or if you've gotten into it, either an autocross event (would be close for ya) or a lapping day if you've gotten into that.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

im gona put some bloody 14 inch wheels on my car, cuz i run 16.0 with 2.5 60 foot time..........and mx3 is only 200lb lighter the pgt............cuz thats the only reason why you ran these times

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”