CAR WILL BARELY MOVE

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kevsickass

Re: CAR WILL BARELY MOVE

Post by kevsickass »

Do i have to remove the bolt (("on the outside of the tire")) to get the axle off????? the online manual dosnt say when it comes to removing just the tranny............help.................
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

It helps a lot if you can get the axle nut off and get the axle off the wheel hub - it becomes a lot easier then to pry the axle from the tranny without breaking anything.
kevsickass

Post by kevsickass »

Shameem....whats up dude.......

OMG 2 days on the axle....this cant be really happening to me......LOL...

ima get that thing off tomorrow.haha.....building an airplane might be easier than this axle.........

oh yea ......put me down for one of those eletric cars if you figure out how to do it....you'll give me a good deal right............
npspears

Post by npspears »

You can do it Kev. What part are you stuck on? A lot of it comes to having the right tools. A big breaker bar or an impact wrench helps on the axle nut helps (I think it is the highest torqued thing on the car). Don't give up, and if you are stuck just let us know.
kevsickass

Post by kevsickass »

thanks npspears for the advice.......I needed a little pep talk, I got all the tools..............taking the axle off the wheel is the way to go...once it was off it just slid out of the tranny..I should add some pics and put this into the worklogs section......LOL
kevsickass

Post by kevsickass »

Check this out,

I was suppose to pick the Tranny up Yesterday......but no call from the Junk Yard.......today I called the Guys and they kept delaying me saying the Tranny wasn't out yet........so I told the guys I only had today to pick it up....

Anyway, my contact guy called me back and told me the delay was the Driver Side Axle...they couldn't get it off (I told them this might happen and suggested they leave it on) they tried to get it off by putting a bar in the passenger side and banging it out.....the bar got stuck....when they tried to remove the bar they damaged the Tranny........

Just located another one....hope this one works out
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Look at the bright side.

They weren't big enough jerks to sell you the molested tranny.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

I couldn't get the drivers side axle off of my tranny either, I just left it on. I don't think I need to remove it but it sounds like its kind of common, anyone have the same problem and/or know how to fix it? I got rough with it but no amount of prying could pull the thing off, the passenger side just slid off like its supposed to.
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

As a last resort - you can remove the metal clip holding the rubber boot of the CV joint and the joint will pop off. There will be a small stub left in the tranny - but you can safely remove the tranny from the vehicle. After it's outside you can easily apply more leverage to pry it off or put a large screwdriver through the other side and hammer it off. But you have to be careful to not get any dirt on the exposed CV joint and make sure to make more grease when you put it back together.
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

Yeah I already pulled the engine by pulling out the joint, but no amount of force will pop off the stub, and it's tough to get a good spot to pry it from without putting uneven force on it. I even pulled out the big guns on it but it does not want to budge. Not really a problem since I'm not replacing anything and it rotates fine, but it bothers me that it won't come off.
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
kevsickass

Post by kevsickass »

Yea its unreal how hard it is to get off, I cut the clamp to get the tranny out....when the tranny was out I used a screwdriver through the passener side and BAM.....it came off...

Well I had to take a few days off but finished the tranny swap and I took my car out today....YEA for me....ran OK....still have to put the tranny cooler in......I'm going to swap the door locks (broken key in lock) and tint the windows tomorrow.........

I put seafoam in the tank....I was going to put some in through the vaccume line too then drive and change out the oil...........

I got seafoam transtune too......I'm going to put 1/2 a pint in then new tranny filter and fluid......any thoughts on the best trans fluid to use.....synthetic maybe......how about the brands......any thoughts

thanks for the help shameem and npspears........this is the biggest auto job I've ever tried, man it was real tough at times but I'm very satisfied that I was able to accomplish this...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”