Cant get the new axle in...

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Re: Cant get the new axle in...

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

Allright ill help you lol. Your not really guna know what you need untill you take your tire off and see the hub nut. If the center hub nut is completly rusted over your guna have to buy a dremel and some chisels so its up to you if you have the tools or just take it to a mechanic. Second: If you manage to take the axle hub nut off then what you guna have to do is seperate the steering knuckle from the ball joint.(takes a little bit of prying) If your boot is ripped on the ball joint i suggest you get a new one. Then you have 2 options after that. You can either take off the tie rod end(youll need a puller unless you have one at your house. You can rent one from Auto store for 80$us and they give you the money back after you return it) Or you can seperate it from the strut/spring. Mechanics usually sperate the tie rod end so i would go this route. After you have seperated the Steering knuckle from the tie rod end and ball joint then tap out axle from the knuckle with a soft mallet if its stuck. Next seprate the axle from the Tranmission. The first time was esiest for me all i did was pull it out with my hands but usually u have to use a crowbar takes some time but it will come out. Make sure u have a catch pan underneath becuase trans fluid spills out. After You take out the axle you need to drain the rest of the fluid, theirs a bolt on the bottom of the transmission that u loosen and take out just like you do your motor oil. After you take out the axle theirs a rubber seal on the housing that has to be replaced. Pop it out with a screw driver. Then go to an auto store and ask them for a axle shaft seal and they will give you a new one. look at the post on how to replace them. I still havent got mine right so listen to the pros. Next Push in new axle and bolt everything up in reverse order. Tork the axle nut to 200ft/lbs and fill up axle fluid. I hope your car is manual cuz thats the info i just gave it for. If you have any other question i would refer here http://mx-3.com/manuals/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Dont be afraid to ask more questions you can PM me and I will also post pictures if you need them. Im only 17 years old and I was able to do it so im sure you could give it a shot.
Jazzylay20
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Jazzylay20 »

What seal do i need for my 5spd? Is it the CV axel seal or is ita Transaxle manual oil seal-output shaft/input shaft seals?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The input shaft seal is the one in the bellhousing where the input shaft goes through to engage the clutch.

The CV Axle seal is the one that the drive axles pass through in the differential.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

it will come with the c-clip you need, perhaps you should buy a new axle nut. Also, buy the shaft seals for the transmission.

Taking your last line literally, I expect a million 'thanks' in your next post.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “Transmissions”