Megasquirt for my KLZE

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Megasquirt for my KLZE

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

solo_ryder wrote:MS will not help all that much on a basic ZE motor that is not boosted unless you do some crazy motor mods.
I've heard the opposite. Apparently a tuned MS system is good for at least 10hp with 200whp actually attainable with some bolt-ons. Personally I wouldn't be surprised considerng the ECU's are a good 2 decade old technology, you should be able to unlock power as compared to such an old engine control system that predates OBDII.

I got in on the last ProbeTalk group buy, I've got the Deluxe pack with coil pack support. I'm sticking N/A myself. I do personally like the idea MS, to get rid of the restrictive VAF (replacing it with a GM IAT sensor), as well as the coil packs to fully control the spark.

zzzoomx, your right, alot of people have gone with an MS setup because it was cheaper than ZE ECU, which went for around $200-$250. So a more basic MS setup should do the job. If you want more, you can do more, but it depends on what you want/need.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

Nd4SpdSe - should i get the deluxe setup? what all does it have in it and whats up with this coil pack and where do i get one? what advantages does it give?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yes, you can get about 10whp from using a MS setup. But the way I interpreted it, he wanted something more then 10whp. I know it is obtainable to get 200whp from the use of MS, but its gonna have to be under a ideal setup. I do think though that it is worth it for a boosted setup. if you want it to go NA then that is ok, but if you wanna make some real power you either gonna have to spend alot to get NA mods or run some type of forced induction.

MS is an amazing tuning tool though and I cant wait to get mine installed :)
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

solo_ryder wrote:Yes, you can get about 10whp from using a MS setup. But the way I interpreted it, he wanted something more then 10whp. I know it is obtainable to get 200whp from the use of MS, but its gonna have to be under a ideal setup. I do think though that it is worth it for a boosted setup. if you want it to go NA then that is ok, but if you wanna make some real power you either gonna have to spend alot to get NA mods or run some type of forced induction.

MS is an amazing tuning tool though and I cant wait to get mine installed :)
well, im putting every N/A mod and bolt-on i can get for my ZE - an MS is just another part on the list. im ordering next week:
underdrive pulley
thermo block kit
fuel regulator
new cold air intake
voltage regulator - if needed
test pipe

umm...thats all i can remember at the moment...i have my list at home...

and i would really appreciate a solid answer about getting this MS and not just opions or debates - i was about to send out my ECu to get chipped when i came up with the idea to just get an EMS - because im in the middle of tearing my ZE down right now and dont want to still be debating this ECU vs EMS thing when im ready to put it back together.

so....ECU mod or EMS??? i would prefer the EMS, i just dont know which one to get....help, anyone, please :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Moved to Engine Electronics/Tuning
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I thought you would take something from all that I typed.

Basically, if you got the money/time to do MS then do it! You can do fuel/spark and even tune your VRIS on it. If you are gonna boost eventually might as well get it now and learn how to use it.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

lol - i understand all that - im asking which one to get.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ACtually, one question; what do you mean by a chipped ECU?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

my K8 ECU chipped by probinator to work with the ZE - i am sending it out next week to be done.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Probinator is just a *proper* stock tune for a curved-neck IM on a ZE. There's really nothing there to fully take advantage of any additioan modifications. MS will better handle that since, when tunes, it can know how to handle what's been done to the motor. The chipped probinator is a good idea, but MS is best (IMO)
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

i know - thats why i want one - now if i can just get someone to answer my question - id be golden. :) come on guys - i didnt open this thread to debate the MS - i already know its something i want and would be useful - i opened this thread to find out which one to get.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

At first I thought what you wanted to go with, but if your thinking on which kind of MS system's your looking at, here's a copy/paste of the last group buy's information
For those who don’t know Megasquirt in its most BASIC form is a standalone fuel computer that grants users full control over the fuel curves and allows use of different injectors for boosted people. With modification, the Megasquirt unit can be converted from a basic fuel computer into a complete standalone engine management system that rival most existing high priced units out there.

COIL PACK IGNITION CONTROL IS AN OPTION!

Dead distributor? Dieing igniters? Instead of paying hundreds of dollars for a stock replacement or hacking apart the distributor to go with MSD, consider Coil Packs! Coil pack ignition allows for ample dwell time between each spark even at high engine speeds. Traditional distributed spark ignition systems have 1 coil that provides spark for all 6 cylinders. The drawback here is that at high rpm the coil doesn’t have enough time between each adjacent spark to fully charge, thus causing a reduction in spark voltage and engine power. This can cause spark to blow out at higher rpm, especially with modified engines that are turbocharged or run nitrous. A coil pack ignition system has three coils, meaning each coil does 1/3rd the work and has 3x the time to charge between each spark. This type of an ignition system is capable of developing the same high power spark at all engine rpm’s even with a larger more efficient spark plug gap. These things combined will also help you develop better engine response through the rpm range and higher efficiency as well, with proper tuning this will lead not only to better performance, but better fuel economy as well.

The Goods!!!

All of the units will be capable of driving high impedance injectors (like modded Nissans, Millenia S, etc) and controlling timing directly. The basic operating functions will still fall to the stock computer. This includes Idle control, EGR, purge, a/c, etc. Base tunes will be included for a variety of setups (KLZE, Turbo, Supercharged, etc) that will get you up and driving around with your newfound power, but still on the safe side.

This does NOT mean as soon as you get it running you go out to the races or the track. User error on this part could lead to a broken motor, so be careful and go slowly. Access to a dyno, wideband, and experience tuner is highly recommended. I do travel to offer tuning and install services, but it is VERY expensive so I try to offer as much possible help here on PT and via E-mail. Any discussion of my travel will remain in PM. If you post about it, it will be removed from the thread.

ECONOMY UNIT: $275

This Megasquirt will be powered by a version 2.2 PCB and will not carry all of the extra features that the v3 boards have, but in many cases, a V3 boards extra features are not necessary for everybody. In order to use this, your car will REQUIRE the use of a 92-94 distributor. If you have a 95+ KL, you can still go this route, but you will need to purchase an older model distributor and move around 3 wires for it to work properly.

This unit will come prepackaged with:

Two VRIS outputs
Fans Control
Launch Control/Flat Shift

You will be required to set the ignition timing with a timing light, as it is based of the cam sensor in the distributor.

STANDARD UNIT: $390

You will get a fully assembled Megasquirt unit that is compatible with 1993-1997 Ford Probe GT/MX-6 LS, that DOES NOT require any modifications to the engine. Other than wiring the unit (Connector will be included), no other modifications will be necessary to have fully laptop programmable fuel and ignition control. The unit will be able to control any size and type injectors (you are no longer held to the high impedance injector requirement) and the unit will control any year KL v6 engine with its original distributor. Ancillary functions such as evap. emissions control, air conditioning and purge will be left to the stock ECU.

In addition to all the additional features of the v3 board, you will receive the following with the standard unit:

Two VRIS Outputs
Fan Control
Launch/Flatshift
Switchable Tables (for nitrous or race gas)

The V3 Unit will automatically set base ignition timing, so adjusting the distributor will never be a requirement. The v3 also allows for future upgrading, low impedance injectors, coilpack capability, built in VR Decoder (our crankshaft sensor), and increase fault tolerance from over voltage situations.

DELUXE UNIT: $500

This includes EVERYTHING in the standard unit PLUS the ability to run a coil pack ignition system…also known as DIS. Do NOT confuse this with EDIS. EDIS is a self contained system that does indeed use coil packs, but you will not have the ability to cut spark for any launch control or flat shift purpose. If you don’t know, cutting fuel in a batch fire injection system is dangerous and should only be a last resort. In order to use coil packs, you will be required to keep the base of the distributor because it houses a necessary cam sensor.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

suweet - now thats what im talking about - and the winner is the standard unit - its in my budget and gives me what i want. thank you very much, especially the laptop control :)
i just need a model number now :|
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Search for posts by user ccreech on here.

He is completing his MSnS conversion right now on his KL-ZE...
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”