Problem - Oil Dripping off Spark Plug

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

How long did it take you to take everything off to get access to the back cover? I need to do this as a weekend job or on a long weekend seeing as how this car is my daily driver. It doesnt seem like it will take that long though.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Ahh well I reckon I could be at the back one in about an hour now, as I know what I'm doing. I'd say it took me 3hours to get at it first time, as I'm very new to mechanics and didn't want to trash anything. I'd say it'd be no problem doing it over the weekend.

Are you wanting to get at the rear one just to paint it? I don't know if I'd bother, maybe I would...! But anyway allow yourself a few hours to get the IM off, a few hours for cleaning/sanding and painting, and finally an hour or so to whack it all back together. Good luck ;)

Btw if your cars done some mileage you might want to get new IM gaskets too as mine were destroyed at 120,000miles
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya i noticed that mine valve cover was leaking mostly in one plug hole. There was quite a bit in there. I got my car at 200,000k and ive done about 6k on it now so i know what needs to be replaced and what not. I mostly want to get to the back valve cover beacuse that is mostly the only one thats leaking.

Now should i assemble the cover with the new gasket dry or should i add some high temp sealent to help it seal? If i should add some sealent, is it just a thin bead around or on the gasket?
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I added high temp sealant, to be honest I'm not sure if its needed or wise. But I noticed the old one had traces of liquid gasket, so I thought it would be wise to scrape that out and replace it.

-I put a thin line of liquid gasket all along the inside grove of the valve cover
-Set the cover on top and hand tightened bolts
-Then added a more generous amount along the whole edge so I couldn't see the black hard gasket anymore
-Wiped off excess
-Tightened with torque wrench- crossing diagonally for each bolt

I can't say whether thats the right way to do it or not, but I figure its better than just solid gasket. However I did make a point to avoid any surplus lumps on the inside - so its not dropping off into the moving parts. Good luck :wink:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”