Plastic Lense Restoration.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

fiestafrank wrote:As a former senior headlamp engineer and head of R&D with 15+ years in the industry, I want to warn you about what is happening here. Headlamps lenses have been made from PC (polycarbonate) for the last many years after previously being made from glass. PC can be formed into more complex shapes than glass and is less prone to shattering when hit with road debris plus is less expensive to boot. The problem is that it yellows when exposed to UV light (i.e. sunlight). So headlamp manufacturers "hard coat" the exterior with various products available from companies like DOW, GE and Red Spot to protect against the yellowing. A yellow headlamp lens is a catastrophic failure caused by the breakdown of this hardcoat. If you sand your lens to remove the upper layer of the lens then yes you can remove the yellowing. But, since you have also removed the remaining hard coat it will just yellow the next time much faster. Also, any sanding on the lens is likely to distrot the photometric beam pattern of the headlamps. Although I would be surprised if it made much of a difference after doing it once, repeated or heavy sanding can result in an unsafe condition. I would report any yellow headlamp lenses to NHTSA on their web site and if enought people complain Mazda will be directed to issue a recall and replace the lamps, they are a major safety device you know.
In case they don't issue a recall :roll: - is there anything you can recommend to us that we could spray on the headlamps again like a clearcoat to protect from further yellowing??
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

I am thinking about trying this product for UV protection -
http://www.papilio.com/spray%20uv%20cle ... rosol.html

Anybody have any experience with this?
fiestafrank

Post by fiestafrank »

Not much I can recommend other than give the local Mazda dealer a hard time. Yellow Headlamp lenses are a serious safety defect and even if they aren't covered under warranty you may get them replaced. If they think you are complaining for cosmetic reasons you may not get far. I would explain its in the same catagory as a seat belt failure, potential lawsuit if there's an accident regardless of the warranty.

This spray stuff looks interesting, never heard of it before.
Volones

Post by Volones »

shameem wrote:I am thinking about trying this product for UV protection -

I've used a similar product on photos back in the day, and it dried to a nice hard finish (as hard as you'd want on a photo). There was no discoloration on the photo after 7 years, but it also wasn't in direct sunlight like our headlights are. It'd be worth a try, and you get the bonus of it being acid-free/archive safe. :)

I've considered this myself since I don't expect Mazda to issue a recall to replace the headlights in our cars. Sorry to be so cynical, but looking at this from a cost/benefit perspective, there just aren't enough MX-3 owners to warrant a recall IMHO.

Vol!
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

shameem wrote:I am thinking about trying this product for UV protection -

I found this product that is supposed to protect stuff from UV and moisture -
http://www.ccl-light.com/docs/invisashield.html

I am not going to try it on my crappy lens yet - but if someone else with clean lens can try and post the results .......

Return to “Appearance”