Modify stock front bumper

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Kirk95gs wrote:LOL yup! bring it right over.... gotta love the maritimes... it seems most of my pic's have beer in the background somewhere...
HAHA I was going to make a comment about that... every pic has a bottle in it LOL :shock: :D
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Yea I used a 2003 Miata Mazdaspeed front lip!! worked well for free and all! if you wanna mod the rear get a RSX Type S rear lip! here is mine!

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Not bad Colin, not bad at all ;)

We need painted pics tho :P
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

oh wow I like that alot... I have been thinking about a rear valence for some time...

I would probably round the edge off some more... but WOW overall nice job! LOL you have custom modified your entire "body kit"
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Hey Kirk. You filled in the sidemarkers on the side.

Can you exolain what you did. Did you fiberglass them too. How did it hold up because the fibrglass is very ridgid and doesn't flex. Di it eventually crack or what?
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Highbody

Post by Highbody »

i like that lip... looks like it could be stock but if you see it next to another one you would see its not... i like it
NorCalMX3

Re:

Post by NorCalMX3 »

colinsmx3 wrote:Yea I used a 2003 Miata Mazdaspeed front lip!! worked well for free and all! if you wanna mod the rear get a RSX Type S rear lip! here is mine!

How long did it take you to do that? that looks wonderful!
1992 MX-3 GS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2607936
1995 Honda Del Sol (Current Main until KL-ZE Swap):
http://teamsolcal.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20662
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Re:

Post by neutral »

mx3TheOnlyLoveOfMyLife wrote:
colinsmx3 wrote:...if you wanna mod the rear get a RSX Type S rear lip! here is mine!

How long did it take you to do that? that looks wonderful!
I agree, that looks straightforward to do and really really nice. Details? Source for the rear lip? :bowdown:
Image -Jim
colinsmx3

Re: Modify stock front bumper

Post by colinsmx3 »

well actually I got the rear lip from my work since I work at a Mazda dealership and we have a Honda/Acura body shop in the back. I pretty much noticed they did not take this off a damaged bumper and so I figured I could make it work! but all I did was cut about 2 inchs off each side then inset a few screws and filled them in and VUALA! :love: I like free parts!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Re:

Post by Kirk95gs »

mx3autozam wrote:Hey Kirk. You filled in the sidemarkers on the side.

Can you exolain what you did. Did you fiberglass them too. How did it hold up because the fibrglass is very ridgid and doesn't flex. Di it eventually crack or what?

I used that ( I think it was call Cat Hair f/g premix) anyways it came in a quart can.. filled the sidemarkers with it untill they were flush with the front. Then a small peice of f/g cloth on the back to cover the hole housing. Then I useed body putty to shooth out the transition.

It held up really great. even after I hit the racoon and broke the front lip off. It never cracked.

I will be fixing the lip and selling the moded stock bumper this spring...
amnguitars

Post by amnguitars »

kk those are all sik ideas about modifying the stock bumper but i am having a problem with my front bumper i cannot seem to find a way to remove my front bumper off and same with my headlights i dont know how to remove them can someone help me out cause its starting to piss me off lol :crying: :crying:

Thnx for the help
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

amnguitars wrote:kk those are all sik ideas about modifying the stock bumper but i am having a problem with my front bumper i cannot seem to find a way to remove my front bumper off and same with my headlights i dont know how to remove them can someone help me out cause its starting to piss me off lol :crying: :crying:

Thnx for the help
its in here somewhere
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/index.php
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
amnguitars

Post by amnguitars »

thnx alot for the link but does anyone know an easier way to show me how to remove my front bumper because the website that you sent me was alittle to complicated to understand because there are so many pictures.

Thnx
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Here's mine at the moment. I pushed my PS cooler up too, because I thought that it looked retarded. I just bolted it up higher on my hood latch mechanism.

I am also wondering, if you could create the JDM style just by cutting the whole bottom out and adding a GS lip? Anyone tried?

And removing the bumper... some around the headlights, some screws actually attaching it to the hard plastic bumper(in the middle, just look down), some up behind the turn signals(lay down and look up into the holes), one in each wheel well, one just infront of each wheel well... and I think thats it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Ryan wrote:I am also wondering, if you could create the JDM style just by cutting the whole bottom out and adding a GS lip? Anyone tried?
are you talking about the aggressive JDM lip? it's a completely different style...

I think cutting out the bottom part would only mess up your bumper and make it unstable :roll:

Return to “Appearance”