MX3 Clear Lensed Headlight Variants (?-Spec)

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

no it depends, there are 3 types of euro spec lights: glass, then FL, then Pre FL, then you have US-Can spec, and Jap spec.

Fl lights are crome insides, Pre FL are not crome like thies, or vice versa. and both are plastic and have almost no fluting in the lense in comparrison to US lights

Thies are Glass ones

http://mx3.markokaartinen.net/albums/us ... ti%201.JPG
33tu

Post by 33tu »

illapino wrote:mine are ICHIKOH 1453L JAPAN (and 1453R)
so they are different

what is the other code underneath it 33tu? starts with "HB ..."
perhaps it would be the part code and i could order it without doubts
I can't check that code until I get some holiday from army, I will tell you then.
illapino

Post by illapino »

Josh wrote:no it depends, there are 3 types of euro spec lights: glass, then FL, then Pre FL, then you have US-Can spec, and Jap spec.

Fl lights are crome insides, Pre FL are not crome like thies, or vice versa. and both are plastic and have almost no fluting in the lense in comparrison to US lights
What is "FL" ?
and so there are five variants? (i thought of only 3)

and 33tu, please let me know when you''re back home. i'm surprised there's so little interest in the acquiring of these glass units ... ...
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You have to take a few things into consideration as well.

As far as I know most all e-spec lights are glass, j-specs are plastic and so are the american ones obviously. Now, there are a few reasons why they are not brought over to often.

1. They are hard to locate.
2. They are expensive.
3. They would be illegal, this is because most of the mx3's in Japan and Europe are RHD and the beam pattern would be blinding to a driver on the other side of the road, it would be to bad, but not that good either. Also, the Jspec and Espec lights use a H4 bulb that at the time was not intruduced to any Aspec cars unless it was a upper class vehicle (correct me if I am wrong on that).

There are a few countries in Europe that have LHD glass headlights that I have seen, Finland, Norway and Chech Reubulic (I may be wrong here to lol) But I know there are some there. In either case, there are a few ppl looking to get a set of these (including me) and have had no luck at all.

The upside is the lighting would be much better, the H4 bulb puts out alot more lighting and the clear covers of glass will help with visibility. John (jschwauren) has a set of Jspec ones and they are plastic, look similar to the US ones but use a H4 bulb and he says the cutoff and lighting is better then our stock lights.

All in all, using Glass or Plastic lights that are not aspec would prove to be better lighting, but you have to take into account those other points. Getting a set is not easy unless you have connections. This is all from what I have gathered over some time so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
illapino

Post by illapino »

with those considerations exposed, i still want them.
after all, if all the little honda boys can drive around with their ILLEGAL h.i.d. kits and not get knocked for that, then i'll be obliged to do the equivalent of the 'crime' ... getting the light into the eyes of oncoming traffic would definitely not be worthy of my rebellious ways (i do not want to piss people off), but i'm sure that couldn't be that big of a deal:

glass headlights in europe + LHD
is basically the equivalent of
glass headlights in america + RHD

both ways, the drivers pass each other 'side by side'
(LH roads have RHD vehicles : RH roads have LHD vehicles)

don't mind me as i wait for 33tu's return from the military ...
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I understand, the lighting is not that bad, and that is also considering alot of RHD vehicles are being registered, espically in BC like skylines that cannot be adjusted. It should be fine, just locating is hard.
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

I know a guy in germany who might be able to get these for a decient price hes looking into it right now. ill get back to you if i make out
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

solo_ryder wrote:There are a few countries in Europe that have LHD glass headlights that I have seen, Finland, Norway and Chech Reubulic (I may be wrong here to lol) But I know there are some there. In either case, there are a few ppl looking to get a set of these (including me) and have had no luck at all.
Germany is LHD as well.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
33tu

Post by 33tu »

illapino wrote:mine are ICHIKOH 1453L JAPAN (and 1453R)
so they are different

what is the other code underneath it 33tu? starts with "HB ..."
perhaps it would be the part code and i could order it without doubts
up left corner E582R and right down corner HC/P E13 175 020851

I usually order parts to my car with product number. I think front lights could be ordered that way.
illapino

Post by illapino »

excellent. thank u so much.
ICHIKOH 1456L JAPAN
up left corner E582R
right down corner HC/P E13 175 020851

i'll take all numbers to Mazda soon and see if any of them are a part
awesome
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
illapino

Post by illapino »

well ... i took the above numbers to my mazda and they automatically could not recognize any of them as part numbers. they have absolutely no association with Mazdas outside of North America ... phooey ... next step: call a mazda dealership in England ...

or someone who's in europe reading this topic could always call up their local mazda dealership in their european country, ask them the specific details and cost of the CLEAR GLASS HEADLIGHTS on e-spec mx-3s, and forward the info to illapino via this forum ... thanks
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MX3 Clear Lensed Headlight Variants (?-Spec)

Post by Mooneggs »

if anybody ever goes to searching for these lights here's a tidbit of info:

RHD glass lenses (driver and passenger) have "Ichikoh 1455" and an Espec mark of 020652

LHD glass lenses (driver and passenger) have "Ichikoh 1456" and an Espec mark of 020651

Might be useful if you finally track a set down and the seller can confirm these markings it might validate your findings :)

The difference is in the fluting - it angles the light ever so slightly to cater to oncoming traffic so you don't blind them. Personally I think RHD is fine as I have them adjusted to not blind traffic and it seems to work well so for everyone who wants a LHD set... it doesn't seem to be that crucial :)

you'll notice in these pictures if you look close that the LHD driver's is identical to the RHD driver's as far as how the lense is designed and the same for the passenger sides...

LHD fluting drivers:

LHD fluting passenger:

RHD fluting drivers:

RHD fluting passenger:
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

Did anyone every get glass nights into the states?
I might try to get my dad to pickup a set while he is in Europe this summer
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

nolig2278 wrote:Did anyone every get glass nights into the states?
I might try to get my dad to pickup a set while he is in Europe this summer
I'm assuming you mean get the glass lights stock when they bought an mx-3? No, the USA and Canada were the only places to not get glass headlights stock (AFAIK).
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

Sorry, i meant, has anyone in the US imported glass lights?

Are there junkyards in europe with the lights that maybe i could send my dad to get me a pair of lights?
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”