WyldSide - 1992 MX-3 GSR-ZE

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
RX8SE3P

Re: WyldSide - 1992 MX-3 GSR-ZE

Post by RX8SE3P »

I think I am going to rebuild my ZE too. Mine was blowing smoke and has no power.

Rather than risk another crap engine it might just pay to do a simple rebuild. Nothing flashy, just stock parts.

Did you replace the oil pump?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

Yes Oil Pump was changed. You might as well do that while it is apart and make sure all oil ports throughout the engine are clear.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Hey I noticed you said you found a discrepancy with the oil control ring and what the mazda manual said. That Ross racing print off said the oil control ring must point to the bottom of the piston but the mazda manual says it should point to the top.

I'm going to follow what mazda say as well.

Oh and my friend said that I will need to compress the HLA's before installing but is this actually correct? Or do we just put them in as usual?

(reading the mazda manual but have not found anything about compressing them yet).
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

I just followed the specifications as per the Mazda manual. It really doesn't make a huge difference in the long run, so don't worry to much about that control ring orientation.

About the HLA, there is no compressing it required for installing it. Just ensure they are in good condition (as per the Mazda manual) prior to installation. If they seem a little soft, you can try submerging them in some fresh sythetic oil (like Valvoline, Mobil1, or Amsoil) and then pumping them a few times. A few air bubbles might come out along with some dirty oil, and perhaps they will stiffen up again. If not, you can replace them to quiet your engine up some more.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Thanks.

I also read in the manual that the HLA "should" be installed into their correct places. Does this mean I was meant to note where all those HLA's came from and put them back into their exact spots?

I didn't do that but I am going to try cleaning the HLAs out as best I can. All of them seem nice and stiff. I didn't have a whole lot of noise before the rebuild either. I can't see how it would affect things if they were all working ok. I hope it won't matter :o
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Don't worry too much about that. It isn't a big deal. I didn't bother because I was cleaning all of them. The only reason they recommend doing that is so that the HLAs are all worn-in to the same degree as the valve they are used with. It could just mean a little more or a little less noise when you are finished. Like I said, no worries. :wink:
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Added an update since I now moved the rebuild KLZE into my other MX-3 (which just had a stock KLZE in it). The car runs great, but I think I need to change out my CVs soon. :roll:
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”