10mm plug wires!?!?!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

ruthless_mx3 wrote: And once again, nitrous and platinum/iridium. good or bad and why or why not.
That is a good question. Everything I've seen just says there not recommended but never explains why. One thing good about having a lot of contacts on the technical side of the automotive industry I was able to make a few phone calls to find an answer. The reason has to do with the physical properties of Platinum and to a lesser extent to Iridium. Due to these metals are a poor conductor of heat they retain heat and by design are "self cleaning" able to burn off deposits that form on the electrode so there for run much hotter than normal plugs. Platinum spark plugs especially run too hot and can cause pre-ignition or detonation.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Yoda wrote:
Steeb wrote:^^ besides all that good stuff. unless you need a stronger spark because you are boosting so much that you are blowing out the spark plug, you will not make any more power with 10mm wires than with regular wires.

i had magnacore wires before and they have no noise suppression so you will hear a constant whining noise through your stereo that only gets louder as rpm rise. not to mention they are made very crappy. a month after i installed them i tried to change my spark plugs and 3 boots ripped like toilet paper.
In the case of these wire all you are getting is the same thing as their 7mm wires but with a thicker outer jacket. Their marketing guy is depending on the placbo effect of the additional diameter to make your mind believe their product is making more power. Between the human brain and your wallet 8 time out of 10 people will believe that the product is making more power or is better because it is bigger.
placebo effect??? i dont believe i said u would gain power from wires
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

Yoda wrote:
ruthless_mx3 wrote: And once again, nitrous and platinum/iridium. good or bad and why or why not.
That is a good question. Everything I've seen just says there not recommended but never explains why. One thing good about having a lot of contacts on the technical side of the automotive industry I was able to make a few phone calls to find an answer. The reason has to do with the physical properties of Platinum and to a lesser extent to Iridium. Due to these metals are a poor conductor of heat they retain heat and by design are "self cleaning" able to burn off deposits that form on the electrode so there for run much hotter than normal plugs. Platinum spark plugs especially run too hot and can cause pre-ignition or detonation.
once again yoda, you come and save the day with your bottomless barrel of info. Connections rule!!!

Don't the iridium plugs have a really small electrode kinda like a pin? I know its a totaly different motor, 2-stroke, but I ran a special "race" plug in my fourwheeler that had the really small electrode but I don't think it was made out of anything special, just a regular plug. I difinitely noticed a difference, better throttle response and a slight bit more power. Its like the spark is more focussed on a specific point making it "denser", if you know what I mean.

thanks for all the input everyone
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”