Head gasket replacement

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
precidiadrummer

Post by precidiadrummer »

And maybe I'll take you up on that Boris, if it's easy as you say my friends shouldn't have trouble doing the engine work if they work on american cars all the time.. Worth not paying alot of money to get mine fixed..

And is it worth getting a rebuild, or buying a new engine?
93 Mx-3 precidia 4cyl 1.6l SOHC 5speed, New Disty, altenator, Timing belt, Spark plug wiring, New clutch kit, 16'' Konig rims (Not put on), New wipers haha!
Qrusher

Post by Qrusher »

if you want great gas mileage rebuild the 1.6sohc engine, if you want more power id do a bp swap. get about 40 more hp. it cost me alot to rebuild my dohc motor about a grand or so. doing a rebuild yourself you will learn alot but also alot of room for errors. good luck if you need anything this site has a ton of info.
precidiadrummer

I'm at the point now where a BP swap would be nice..BUt where would I find a cheap BP 1.8l engine in Nova Scotia? any suggestions, where did some of you buy yours, and how much did it end up costing
93 Mx-3 precidia 4cyl 1.6l SOHC 5speed, New Disty, altenator, Timing belt, Spark plug wiring, New clutch kit, 16'' Konig rims (Not put on), New wipers haha!
Boris

Post by Boris »

Get e BP from a 1990-94 protege. Grab the ECU with it too. You don't need to change your wiring harness. I dunno where you'll find it, I would suggest looking for one in a junk yard if you got any somewhat close by.

I would recomend this over the rebuild. Rebuilding a sohc won't be cheap, especially if you gotta rebuild the bottom end as well. The benefit of rebuilding is that you will know that most of the internals won't crap out on you any time soon, and you'll also learn a hell of a lot. But it would be easier and cheaper to buy a used engine and swap it in. Your friends could help you swap an engine (which is easier than rebuilding one, that's for sure).
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
precidiadrummer

Ok, when I grab the protege and ecu, I've heard from some you also need new axles and tranny, some others say that's not true? anyone want to clear this up for me thanks
Boris

Post by Boris »

If you get the protege tranny, you'll need the protege axles. But your current transmission will bolt up to the engine.... i think you have to lenthen an axle or something if you keep your current transmission though... not too sure.

It's recomended to get the protege transmission, as it is much stronger. If you ever plan on boosting your BP, or drivin your car hard, it'll save you $$ in the long run.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
precidiadrummer

Thanks man, thats a big help, I didnt want to go buy just the engine to find out I need the axles, tranny, and ecu too, Wiring harness and what not, but thats not that bad few of the boys on here are sellin the whole set up..its too bad I didnt have the money now, my mom's payin and I got to pay her back once im back on the road again..her money her decision, my bp will have to wait :(

167xxxkm engine, here I come, better then the 228xxxkm engine I had now, So woo you'll be hearin more of me boys my car's body is in good shape and I'm not lettin her go with this konig rim's sittin here waiting to get on her

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”