I'm thinking of leaving the MX3 game

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

XxantwawnxX wrote:good luck man, i beat sti's all day and i dont even have 300 hp : )
How much power are you putting down?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

A GTX? Thats a Mazda 323 right but with AWD?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

juan, even a k8 turbo would be loads of fun. if you blow the motor, you can buy them for like 100-300 bucks.
Illa Killa wrote:He never said anything about an STi. He said a 2.5RS with the STi motor swap. Those things haul a-- and AWD is always better than FWD. I'd say go with the 2.5RS. I've been looking at those myself for a project car. I'm just starting to get sick of the FWD and its lack of traction. I was gonna turbo my ZE but then why have all the power and not be able to hook it up??
i wouldnt say never. the 50/50 symetrical awd system used in the base model awd lines are useful but are not the best for handling. the sti drivetrain is what sets the version sti models apart from the regular 50/50 awd systems. the sti is rear wheel biased torque distribution and handles much more like a rwd based awd cars like skylines.
jbaysinger wrote:Plus, have you driven a WRX, STi or not? The lag is unbearable, and they're great big understeery pigs. You have to do a LOT of work to them to get close to the MX3's stock tossability, and then the car will be way too harsh for normal street driving (IMO, and I'm an autocrosser who's always driven the race car daily).

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, but if AWD turbo fun is your goal, get a GTX. I'm still regretting selling mine before moving to TX.
the understeer is a symptom caused by 50/50 symetrical awd. only way to beat it is to make it not so 50/50 symetrical awd and buy the sti.
jbaysinger

Post by jbaysinger »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:A GTX? Thats a Mazda 323 right but with AWD?
And ter-boh. Mine had a 1.8L I4 swapped from a 91 Protege/323 (don't remember which) and the GTX exhaust mani with a T3 and FMIC, somewhere around 11psi. It was a little laggy, but I'd take 5L Mustangs from stoplights even with snow tires. The launch was ridiculous. It handled decently, tho I had it set up really soft for snow driving.
Steeb wrote:only way to beat it is to make it not so 50/50 symetrical awd and buy the sti.
Have you driven either? I've driven (street) stock and modified WRXs and STis, and I've autcorssed a stock WRX on hot street tires, stock 2.5RS on R compounds, STX prepared WRX, stock STi on Rs, and an STU prepared STi. I've turned some laps on a somewhat tight 1.7 mile road course in the above STX WRX and STU STi, and another modified STi on Rs. They understeer. The STi dialed all the way back understeers less, yes, but they still push like crazy. You really have to muscle them around and pitch them into turns to get them to rotate, and that is definitely not the fast way around the track.

I dunno. They're still fun street cars, and the power is addicting, tho they're still too laggy for my taste for a stock setup. I wouldn't buy one tho. I'd be more tempted to buy an Evo if I were in the market for that kind of thing.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS
http://www.generic-racing.com
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

jbaysinger loose the freakin attitude. since you are still a noob around here i dont think you should be taking that tone with anyone around here just yet.

and second dont think you are the only one that has driven prepped cars. there is always many more experienced than you no matter where you go so dont go around acting like you are the worlds wealth of knowledge of the wrx just because you drove a few laps in a car someone else setup for their driving style.

different people driving the same exact car will have different experiences. driving someone elses car that is setup for their driving style will definately not suit your taste. going in too hot will definately cause push in any car as well as alignment settings even with r compounds. r compounds only allows the push to occur at a higher speed as opposed to street tires.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Do NOT let this turn into a flamming post.

Opinions are like....
jbaysinger

Post by jbaysinger »

Steeb wrote:jbaysinger loose the freakin attitude. since you are still a noob around here i dont think you should be taking that tone with anyone around here just yet.
My apologies, the tone you read was not my intention. I'm not flaming anyone, just offering an opinion.

And I am a noob around here, yes. Doesn't mean I haven't driven any, nor does it mean that I think I'm god's gift to the steering wheel.

Guess I'll more carefully watch my step around here from now on.
Jeff Baysinger
'92 MX-3 GS
http://www.generic-racing.com
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

apology accepted. welcome to the board, im sure you have useful information to share but its nice to have civilized discussions without personal attacks.

i also hope i didnt offend you either because the point i am stating is that one persons feel of a car is not the same as another. especially when a car is tuned specifically to someone elses driving style.

back to the topic
juan, turbo the v6, in the end you'll definately enjoy the better throttle response than a turbo 4 for on and off boost driving
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

i am going thru the same dilemma as u, but instead of a wrx i am thinking of getting an rx8 or prelude. But then again I have a stock 93SE which is mint in and out with no rust so if i did a ze swap i would have a car almost as fast as an rx8 or prelude. still deciding.........
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

93-Spec-Edn wrote:i am going thru the same dilemma as u, but instead of a wrx i am thinking of getting an rx8 or prelude. But then again I have a stock 93SE which is mint in and out with no rust so if i did a ze swap i would have a car almost as fast as an rx8 or prelude. still deciding.........
When i just had the ZE with no turbo i could beat a manual rx8 by a door. Now i was gutted...but the rx8 also had a full cat back system.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

dude there you go ....you can spend half of that $ GREEN $ and figure out a way to get that ls-1 motor in there.....DUDE STRAIGHT UP like 11's on a stock single turbo ls-1 mx-3....im gonna do it one day just watch
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

lol turbo ls-1 mx3 would be doin better than 11's id think thatd be alot of power
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I came to the same dillema but with other issues attached.

My son will be born in less than 2 months, and the mx-3 wasnt going to cut it. I love the mx-3 and always will. So I had a hard decision to make.
I decided to get a bigger car and combine the 2 mx-3s into one. I had one with a great body, another with a great motor. the RS needed a manual tranny and a motor, the GS.. needed body work, and lots of it. I did build it as a track car, but 200K miles on my RS, and it bit the bullet. I was forced to drive the GS every day. It was summer, there was no AC, and as the body looked like crap I was almost embarassed to drive it. It had nothing to do with the car per say, just it was in such bad condition on the outside and in. I never ment to drive it daily, but it was the only way I had to go. I spent tons of money trying to fix the RS, it looked good, drove great, and had awesome gas mileage. Slow as a snail, but if I wanted to go fast, had a car at home for that. Started having problems with the GS, randomly it would die on me, not good in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Thought I had it fixed several times, but it continued. After it died on me three times on my way to work, I was fed up. I put so much work trying to get a running GS (2 GS's,2 motors), that it seemed hopeless. I just became perm after 6 years of contacting @ my current job... I was getting a new car. Went to look, was planning on getting a 3, then maybe getting an RX-8 after a few years when the Mazdaspeed model came out. I ended up getting a Mazdaspeed 6 for 1K over what a Touring 3 would cost me.
Currently Im converting my RS to a GS using my Gs as parts. This is what I wanted to do for the longest time, but had to have a way to go. I plan on keeping the RS forever, maybe giving it to my son when hes old enough. I speculated on selling it a few times, but my wife encouraged me to keep it and that it has a lot of sentimental value to me. ( I love my wife :) ) I didnt want to sell it, but I figured, I have 2 cars, both giving me problems, and another I can drive daily. Plus we have another 6 my wife drives. I decided just to convert it to what i wanted to do from the beginning.
Motors pulled in the RS, and tonight the bay is going to be cleared out.
Last edited by Custommx3 on January 10th, 2007, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

I agree with what you all r saying. I always wanted the 25th anniversary mx3 and now i have it i dont really want to sell it, but i am getting bored of the power. on the plus side the interior and body look like new, but i am worried about buying a ze thats no good and gives me issues. also i would need a new tranny and clutch to do the swap..all these issues...ahh so hard to decide.,...if only the rx-7 tt was reliable, i would pick a RHD one up in a second and never look back.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

Custommx3 wrote:I came to the same dillema but with other issues attached.

My son will be born in less than 2 months, and the mx-3 wasnt going to cut it. I love the mx-3 and always will. So I had a hard decision to make.
I decided to get a bigger car and combine the 2 mx-3s into one. I had one with a great body, another with a great motor. the RS needed a manual tranny and a motor, the GS.. needed body work, and lots of it. I did build it as a track car, but 200K miles on my RS, and it bit the bullet. I was forced to drive the GS every day. It was summer, there was no AC, and as the body looked like crap I was almost embarassed to drive it. It had nothing to do with the car per say, just it was in such bad condition on the outside and in. I never ment to drive it daily, but it was the only way I had to go. I spent tons of money trying to fix the RS, it looked good, drove great, and had awesome gas mileage. Slow as a snail, but if I wanted to go fast, had a car at home for that. Started having problems with the GS, randomly it would die on me, not good in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Thought I had it fixed several times, but it continued. After it died on me three times on my way to work, I was fed up. I put so much work trying to get a running GS (2 GS's,2 motors), that it seemed hopeless. I just became perm after 6 years of contacting @ my current job... I was getting a new car. Went to look, was planning on getting a 3, then maybe getting an RX-8 after a few years when the Mazdaspeed model came out. I ended up getting a Mazdaspeed 6 for 1K over what a Touring 3 would cost me.
Currently Im converting my RS to a GS using my Gs as parts. This is what I wanted to do for the longest time, but had to have a way to go. I plan on keeping the RS forever, maybe giving it to my son when hes old enough. I speculated on selling it a few times, but my wife encouraged me to keep it and that it has a lot of sentimental value to me. ( I love my wife :) ) I didnt want to sell it, but I figured, I have 2 cars, both giving me problems, and another I can drive daily. Plus we have another 6 my wife drives. I decided just to convert it to what i wanted to do from the beginning.
Motors pulled in the RS, and tonight the bay is going to be cleared out.
MAN I FEEL YA THAT MY BABY IS COMING IN MAY!!!! but we got a 4 door and when i save some money im gonna throw it down for a lexus is300 but i will NEVER EVER SELL MY VICTORIA...thats years, sweat, money and tears of work me...so i will be 40 years old and still visit this forum
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”