Modifications may Void Insurance

Other - General Mazda Discussions
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Red Egg wrote:Some young drivers who have never had an accident are paying up to $8000 per year in Toronto"
That more of a lack of competition problem, or all the companies are in cahoots. We have similar problems with phone companies down here.

We have private car insurrance and I'm only paying $1400 (~1600cad) a year for $300K coverage (~350K cad). Legally I've only been driving 1 year and thats with a speeding ticket (it would be about $200 per year less without it).
Red Egg wrote:Also, insurance companies should not discriminate against male drivers as a group and charge them more. Mad It has got to be against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Why should women pay less for car insurance? Are they going to discriminate against racial groups next?
Rates are based off the probability that you will cost the insurance company money. Your rates also go up if you are in the city simply because the chances of you hitting something are much higher. I'm fine with that. I don't want to pay more to make up for the people who can't drive. If they cause an accident, they are responsible and should pay the price, not me.
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

end
Last edited by Red Egg on December 18th, 2006, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boris

Post by Boris »

I stopped driving cuz insurance is too high for me. It went from $1500 a year, then I got one speeding ticket and it went to $4800 a year. $4800 a year to insure a car that cost me $750... btw, never been in an accident either, and I've been driving since I was 16

BTW this is the CHEAPEST insurance I could acquire. My old insurance company kicked me off insurance, because I got that speeding ticket, and i had quotes from state farm for just over $10,000 a year :shock: That was the most costly trip home from the cottage I had ever experienced... a $675 ticket, and that much of an increase on my insurance. I now refuse to pay the mafia- i mean insurance, so I'm waiting another 10 months till my record is clean.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
Boris

Post by Boris »

mr1in6billion wrote:
Boris wrote:I once tried inquiring about insuring a samurai with toyota axles
Wern't those the cars that had a tendency to do judo flips?
Yeah they had a bad rep for flipping. IMO it was just people driving them like they were cars, not 4x4s. I love samurais, I think they are some of the most capable 4x4 vehicles out there, with a few modifications. Although I don't think they're too easy to flip on the roads, their one weakness offroad is hills, as they have a very short wheel base (you need to be careful, or you might flip yourself backwards.)

But yeah, that samurai I was inquiring about was also converted to fuel injected (originally carb'd). Insurance companies said that even THAT was too much of a modification. Same motor, just fuel injected.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Boris wrote:I once tried inquiring about insuring a samurai with toyota axles, and every company I talked to told me they wouldn't even think about it!
Why did you tell them about such a minute thing as axles?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

end
Boris

Post by Boris »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Boris wrote:I once tried inquiring about insuring a samurai with toyota axles, and every company I talked to told me they wouldn't even think about it!
Why did you tell them about such a minute thing as axles?
I don't mean axleshafts, I mean a full solid axle. I dunno if you've seen samurai axles but they're really narrow, and small. Toyota axles are bigger, and since the truck also had a suspension lift and 35inch tires I was worried it would be noticeable that the axles weren't stock.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm sure the axles are as noticable as a KLZE swap in a GS, looks stock unless you know what your looking for.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

end
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Playing ignorant is all we have, and even then, insurance companies sill cant screw over the most innocent of drivers if something happens. Modifying one's car just gives them more excuses. Personally, playing ignorant is only wrong if you try to get coverage for the components that you don't have covered. Mind you, stuff like stero systems are very common and insurance companies dont drop you because of them, but they can and will for vehicle modification, and it's wrong to get them to pay for those unless it's cheaper than it would be for a stock replacement, IMO.

Their ideal situation is that we had a car, paid them insurance coverage, and took the bus.
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

end
Last edited by Red Egg on December 18th, 2006, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I recently added another car to my policy with TD Insurance. The agent specifically asked if:

A) If the car was going to be used for competition or expositions
B) If there was any modifications to the car (mechanical or body mods)
C) if the engine has been changed or modified (swap to larger displacement, turbo, etc)
D) any additional equipment added (electronics, ICE, etc.)

I asked to have each one explained in detail & he listed of a very detailed list of common "tuner" mods and performance upgrades. They seems that they have a price structure table based on displacement or equivelent displacement for a F.I. car.

For the car to remain covered the agent also warned that I need to keep them advised of any changes.

Several of my co-worker have been asked similar questions by other insurance companies as well in the passed couple months.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You live in Canada, Yoda?

I think is comes down to:
a) did you tell them about your mods?
b) did they accept you or reject insuring your vehicle if it does have the listed modifications?

I think the real issue is that people are affraid of 1)having their insurance skyrocket to where it's unafforable or 2)having their policy cancelled.

I wouldn't mind paying maybe even an extra $100 more a month so that I know I'm properly covered, but I dont want to see my policy literally quadruple, and in the end, only give me an extra $500.
hharb

Post by hharb »

I agree with Nd4SpdSe, and it would be cool if yoda can tell us how much he's paying to cover his second car and the mods that he made on it. one thing that's very confusing is insurance companies who dont ask, yet they screw u over if u had mods and got into an accident. I mean if they ask you and you lie and they void the insurance, it makes sense cuz u lied, but if they don't even ask :S:S:S i dont know i just hope ill never have an insurance claim.. i wish there was like some real rules set for insurers to follow.. this way it'd be easier for us to know how t make sure that our policies are legitimate.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Yes I am in Canada and cars registered and insured in both Alberta and Quebec. Not to worried about the cars in Alberta since they are 100% stock (even still for storage insurance the bill when up over 50% to $1200/yr on each car.)

For the MX-3 they already had a large file from before TD took over Liberty Mutual Canada. I had riders on my policy for the ICE, and mechanical mods seperately from the car as a whole.

With the old 323 all the mods were done in such a way that the car looked 90% stock or looked like OE replacement parts.

For the ZX-2 the is 100% stock and they will consider the FRP performance parts for the S/R as stock parts.

I also have the advantage of age and a clean record for at least the last 20 years (they didn't count the ticket I got in Germany on the autobahn 18 years ago) When the agent started asing all these questions. When the agent started asking all these question, the first thing I said was look at my date of birth and that pretty much ended that.

They didn't even question the FIA endorsment on my drives licence.

The funny thing is the ZX2 has a higher value that the 323 and my rates for the 2 cars decreased by $20/yr plus that added $65000 coverage for a rented or borrowed vehicle. Total for the MX-3+ rider and the ZX2 is $1050 down from $1070 + now includes additional coverage I didn't have before. But Quebec also has no fault insurance built into the cost of your registration and drivers licence.

Talking to Sean one of the early MX-3er. Many of his customers in the Ottawa region have been hit hard by State Farm and a couple other insurance companies. As I understand these companies sent out letters saying to some into have the car eveluated for a possible reduction in rates. State Farm was cancelling policy for mags and tires stating safety concerns. It also appeared that they were targeting certain makes and models of cars because his father got one for the Integra but not for the mini van or his sisters MX-3. I think Ontario in general has been dropping the hammer of the "Tuner" cars. I know of a few guys from Quebec that have been pulled over in Ontario by the cops and were issued warning ticket for having a modified car and were told to be off the roads in Ontario in 24hr or possible have there cars impounded if pulled over again. Even cop friends here couldn't believe that was written on the ticket and worst they were not by the same officer or even that same force.
Nd4SpdSe wrote:You live in Canada, Yoda?

I think is comes down to:
a) did you tell them about your mods?
b) did they accept you or reject insuring your vehicle if it does have the listed modifications?

I think the real issue is that people are affraid of 1)having their insurance skyrocket to where it's unafforable or 2)having their policy cancelled.

I wouldn't mind paying maybe even an extra $100 more a month so that I know I'm properly covered, but I dont want to see my policy literally quadruple, and in the end, only give me an extra $500.

Return to “General Mazda”