OMFG - rwd rx7 engine mx-3 (maybe repost)

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

didnt perry say it couldnt be done....
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

he never said didnt it just expensive
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com

***NO-- A ROTARY CANNOT BE PUT IN AN MX-3, SO DON'T ASK!!***
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Ha. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention me in this thread. I saw this a few days ago.

Again- Anything is possible with enough time, $$ and fabrication.

This guys basically half-tube framed his car.

In my mind, that is no longer an MX-3.

Cool job and lots of $$... but why not just by a 3rd gen RX-7 for what he paid to do this?

My statement "NO a rotary will NOT fit in an MX-3" is for all the newbs and regular joes out there who come on the the board and ask the question. When they ask it, they are wanting to know if it will BOLT IN, or could be done for cheap. The answer is NO it can NOT be done cheaply or EASILY as this guy has figured out and bailed on the project. Lots of Time, $$, and fabrication and MX-3 butchering went into this car.

Cool to see it done.. but waste of $$ if you ask me.

:?
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

true that

but yea you might as well have bought an fd than waste your time on doin that...

but hell maybe it can be do a drifto if some 1 buys it and completes it
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

no way,
the MX has a big weight loss on its side compaired to a 3rd gen. and after alot of debating and hours spent at the wrecking yard, measuring. its easier to do a RWD than most would think (still easier to do AWD). only down fall of that car, is the big waist of time and money put into the rear end. it would have been easier and would have saved a s--- load of money, if he would have stuck with a Mazda rear end. depending on the Mazda rear end they can hold more power than most will ever need. I know, i did alot of reasearch on both swaps, as i really wanted to do a RWD swap. but now knowing what i know its not that much more work to go RWD, maybe an extra 10 hours of fab time.

but im a d--- and dont want to tell everyone how to do it. :) I get hate mail at least once a week about it. :shrug:
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

atlantamx3 wrote:
Anything is possible with enough time, $$ and fabrication.

This guys basically half-tube framed his car.

In my mind, that is no longer an MX-3.

Cool job and lots of $$... but why not just by a 3rd gen RX-7 for what he paid to do this?

My statement "NO a rotary will NOT fit in an MX-3" is for all the newbs and regular joes out there who come on the the board and ask the question. When they ask it, they are wanting to know if it will BOLT IN, or could be done for cheap. The answer is NO it can NOT be done cheaply or EASILY as this guy has figured out and bailed on the project. Lots of Time, $$, and fabrication and MX-3 butchering went into this car.

Cool to see it done.. but waste of $$ if you ask me.

:?
I disagree with alot that you said here. You seem to make it sound like this car was made and modified to do one certain thing, which in your eyes is be a better vehicle. And there is nothing wrong with that. But thats not the only reason for this project. It was a challege, and he came darn close to completing it. He had a goal and he reached it. Its not the destination, but the journey.

So Why didn't he just buy an RX-7 you ask?

There are several reasons. One, might be that it was a challenge. Buying an RX-7 rather than building one is the same as buying a "key-car. This was his own creation. It might of costed alot, but now he has pride in knowing that he really built this car from the ground up.

So it was alot of money, but i'm sure the experiance, and the overall product is worth it.

Also, if you really wanted to tell people that a rotary wouldn't fit in an mx-3 EASILY, you better put that key word in. It's been done now, with time and money yes, but it's been done. You don't seem thrilled by this, and i dont' know why, for this is a great accomplishement, and he did it for him, not for the rest of the world to look at and go "thats a waste of money".
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Boris

Post by Boris »

Perry mentioned in previous threads that a rotary can be accomplished, but that (obviously) it would not be easy. When someone comes on the thread and asks if it can be done, the easiest answer for them is usually a direct "no". If they are serious about doing it, they shouldn't be on mx3.com asking if it's possible, they should know that it is going to be a lot of custom work, and a lot of work they will need to do themselves, not over the internet.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

so how would the rear end construction affect its handling ability?
is it capable of being a every day driver or is it really a track/drag day car ?
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
Boris

Post by Boris »

it's capable of being a daily driver for sure. The rear end on that is actually really strong. Solid rear axles are great for drifting, and straight lines, but it wouldn't be a great track car because it doesn't have independent rear suspension, making traction loss more probably (which is why it's good for drifting lol). Then again, I've seen the AE86's compete in some crazy touge runs and perform really really well, and they got solid rear ends.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I talked to the guy, and since no one bought it on ebay, he has taken it off the market and is going to finish it now.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Boris

Post by Boris »

That's awesome, you should tell him to join mx3.com so that he can post pictures, and who knows, maybe even a write-up.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

all this talk and nobody bought it?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I offered him 7500 but i wouldnt be able to pay/get it till january due to xmas, so he's gonna keep me in mind
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

93_4banger is looking to work something out as well.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”