Advice on Selected Equipment

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Balthazar

Post by Balthazar »

I went and read about rear fill at your suggestion and it makes sense. However, listening to what's in the car now, the bass is really sort of an ugly fuzzy sound, and I think I would like to upgrade the rear speakers anyway (hey, it's my money I'm throwing away right?).

Also, I'm sort of building the system in a modular fashion. I'm starting now with the deck and replacement of the stock speakers powered by the deck's amp. In a few months, I'll probably add a sub and an amp or two, depending on how I feel the sound is.

The speakers I'm looking at now are:

Fronts (they have the shallow profile, so I know they won't hit the window)
Infinity Reference 6012si
6-1/2"/6-3/4" Shallow 2-way Speakers
Plus One+ poly woofer • hi-roll rubber surround • silk dome tweeter • 2-50 watts RMS power range
Sale - Save $20: Was $99.99

Rears
Infinity Reference 5012i
5-1/4" 2-way Speakers
Plus One+ poly woofer • hi-roll rubber surround • UniPivot silk dome tweeter • power range 2-45 watts RMS
Sale - Save $20: Was $99.99

Buying into the hype, the Plus One+ woofers in the rear should give me a decent bass response from the rear (no, it's not a sub, but it will do for now).

Adding up the deck, speakers, iPod cable, mounting plates for the front, and throw in some wire, etc., and GST we're between $450-500 US, which is about what I'm willing to spend right now. Again, the nice thing about stereos is that you can build them in a modular fashion.[/url]
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Balthazar wrote: Buying into the hype, the Plus One+ woofers in the rear should give me a decent bass response from the rear (no, it's not a sub, but it will do for now).
No it' won't do. First, we don't even have a proper enclosure for speakers in the rear like a sedan has (i.e the trunk). Without that large area for proper free-air unloading, the rear speakers in our stock location will NEVER do. You NEED a sub. Even an inexpensive $60 sub and $120 amp from Pep Boys (or $30 sub and $100 amp on eBay) would be an immensely better idea that wasting money on rear speakers at all.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

lakersfan1 wrote:
Balthazar wrote: Buying into the hype, the Plus One+ woofers in the rear should give me a decent bass response from the rear (no, it's not a sub, but it will do for now).
No it' won't do. First, we don't even have a proper enclosure for speakers in the rear like a sedan has (i.e the trunk).
I got around that particular dilemma 11 years ago by replacing the rear deck cover with 1/2" particle board and installing a 10" free air Pioneer sub with it's own amp. I ensured that I had a fairly tight enclosure by adding a trim border at the rear of the platform. Still works great today.
Although I have plans to replace that deck with another of platform of 5/16" MDF. Have it piano hinged halfway across to allow access to that trunk area while the 2 new 10" subs and new amp will be suspended from the underside of the non-lifting portion of that platform. I may add a bit of sound deadening to the underside of that platform once I've demo'd it.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

so basically j-beef's gonna end up with my system.

but with better quality components.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Bochek wrote: but with better quality components.

Bochek
this is a must hahah..sorry i had to.

Anyway, about the rear speaker thing. You said your bass sounds "fussy". well, having a subwoofer would solve this problem, BETTER than replacing the back speakers.

See when you get new speakers, they aren't going to give you that much better bass. The only reason why they sound fussy now, is because you have the bass turned up on your deck, and all you get is the crap out of speakers that don't produce those frequencies well.

If you get a sub, your speakers can play what they are ment for. Thing of it this way. The money you save on back speakers can be spent in a subwoofer. JUst do it, you won't regret it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/10-Alpine-Type-R-SWR ... dZViewItem
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Vanished wrote:
Bochek wrote: but with better quality components.

Bochek
this is a must hahah..sorry i had to.
take it easy on the thumps! lol.

and man you are all about the type r's.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

well i'm all about alot of subs, but type R's are so cheap for what you get. I mean, Type X is incredible, and the W7's are good, then you hit subs like DD and RE's, and Brahma's. The list goes on. Also, type R's are so versityle, you can put them in any box you want and still enjoy them. Good sub.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
cvcvcv545

Post by cvcvcv545 »

Hi,everyone! I'm a freshman in this club.
MSN:cvcvcv545@hotmail.com
cvcvcv545

Post by cvcvcv545 »

lakersfan1 wrote:
mr1in6billion wrote:You should put the 3ways up front
3 ways are just ways to milk more money out of stupid consumers.
I agree that! Changing stereo spend too much money!
If I were you! I Prefers to install a digital iPod car adapter to my old stereo! In that way I needn't buy CD any more. haha :lol:
cvcvcv545

Post by cvcvcv545 »

I 'm looking for that iPod auto adapter in google, and find this one. They said
This adapter makes iPod or MP3 as a CD changer, and play iPod or MP3 through car audio system, it does not use FM transmitter, but wire connection.(Plug into the CD changer port of the Head Unit). Once it is equipped, you can choose music of iPod or USB disk from the car stereo's buttons or steering wheel controls.
For example,
1 choose playlist from iPod
2 Select songs by Next or Previous
3 Multi Play mode: Repeat, Random, Scan
4 Charge function

how do you think about this ???

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”