Already searched, best headers for a V6?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

What headers give off the best SOUND perofromance?

Hotshot
47%
OBX
13%
SS Autochrome
33%
Pacesetter
7%

Total votes: 15

ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

if i had it to do again, i think i'd have shelled out the extra bucks for the hotshots instead of my autochromes. theyre basically ssautochromes + ceramic. and apparently better fitment for EGR. i can honestly say these headers get HOT like crazy. like too hot to touch after running for 20 seconds hot.
Si1verBullet

Post by Si1verBullet »

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... de=NIM1706

Buy the cheap headers , and ceramic heat them yourself. Need to find a local with a kiln ( try local adult education center ) but otherwise easy !

Dude, welding headers is *hard* I have seen many, many failed attemtps. The hard part is getting it all to seal under heat and pressure.
97' UK V6, Standard.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I know how to went and trust me.. making headers aint easy.. whats wrong with ss autochrome? i got them and they were a perfect fit.. I have no egr by the way.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

You guys win for now, any good sites where I can buy a set of Hot Shot headers?

How much would 2.25 exhaust pipping run me? I guess I would be paying nearly $400 for the headers and $200 for the pipe, then another $120 for the muffler, then a resonator for like $80?

What are the cheapest 2.25" exhaust piping systems out there? Do they come with a cat back?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

even if you could weld, getting custom flanges made isnt cheap either
Macen

Post by Macen »

I have SS Autochrome. EGR didn't reach, so I plugged it instead. I had to grind off some to fit on of the screws on the rear header with the downpipe. Other than that, no problems at all. I'm very satisfied.

It will not fit direct on the 1.8 exhaust since you have to remove the catalytic converter 15cm. this can be read in many threads. Odd that you haven't found this when doing your search.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

What are the advantages of having a STRAIGHT PIPE exhaust?

So anyway, you guys are telling me, its IMPOSSIBLE to weld your own headers?
Ok, but what about turbo piping or exhaust piping?
I know some turbo piping/exhaust piping have "clamps" and I am pretty sure there has had to be some people around here that have had to weld those pipes themselves

Say I can weld them because, just like headers, its impossible to wled
What if I join up the exhaust/turbo pipes with clamps?
I just weld up the clamps on the outside of the pipes then join them together by using bolts?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:What are the advantages of having a STRAIGHT PIPE exhaust?

So anyway, you guys are telling me, its IMPOSSIBLE to weld your own headers?
Ok, but what about turbo piping or exhaust piping?
I know some turbo piping/exhaust piping have "clamps" and I am pretty sure there has had to be some people around here that have had to weld those pipes themselves

Say I can weld them because, just like headers, its impossible to wled
What if I join up the exhaust/turbo pipes with clamps?
I just weld up the clamps on the outside of the pipes then join them together by using bolts?
BUMP
Help a noob out
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its not impossible to create and weld your own headers.. I think the point being made is that its very unlikely that if you do so that you will get the maximum performance without really understanding exaust flow dynamics. Reading the backpressure FAQ would probably help with the understanding. But the thing is.. you wont be creating numerous sets and then dyno testing the power of each set to find out which ones perform the best. A LOT of research and developement goes into this sort of thing long before the headers are even available for retail purchase.

You can make your own headers.. I see guys do it all the time on TV. But unless you really have no choice (Custom one-off type situations) Going with a quality product will be worth it in the end.

Ceramic coated headers, in my opinion, is almost a MUST for our engine bays. Part of the reason I am willing to pay for these is because when I disassembled my K8 and yanked it.. the nuts on the studs of the exaust manifold flanges had almost completely welded themselves to the studs.. In order to re-use my exaust manifolds.. I would have to drill and tap 4 of the 6 holes and retap them for new studs. This tells me that the heat generated by even the K8 is more than the stock exaust system can handle over time. So, I need to reduce the heat under the hood and through the exaust system. Hence the ceramic coating. On Horsepower TV.. I heard them state that some ceramic coated headers can reduce underhood heat by upto 300 degrees. Thats a lot of heat. I dont know if we would see that much of a reduction.. I can say that with our engine bays being so tightly packed.. it will definately make a difference.

Oh and I checked into buying headers uncoated and getting them coated.. most places I checked with on the ceramic coating wanted a minimum of $200 for the job or $100 per item. The cheapest I found was $150 for both. Then there would be the shipping and handling to and from.. another $35. Then the cost of the headers themselves. I guess what it comes down to is simply.. is it worth your time? Your not super custom here.. so a one-off solution isnt required. Making a set of headers will take at least 4-6 hours of test fitting and welding and thats assuming you know what your doing and dont burn through the pipes or flanges.. a mistake takes you right back to the drawing board. Your call...

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

while this thread is up i was wondering about the spot for the EGR on the SSautochrome headers, what if you have the KL36 ECU. Does the stock exhaust manifold for the KL31 not come with and EGR in the back anyways? I could be ot of my mind :2thumbsup: but i dont remember one on the Back part of the exhaust mani.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

If i choose to remain with my K8, i am going to buy some headers.

Do the OBX one fit ok ?? all the pieces fit without sanding down ?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”