speedo cable

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

Grants, are you bipolar or something??

Just leave your anger at home, I dont need any of your "shat talk".

I tried to help 2 members who asked questions, and i included their name in the top of my answer so that they would know I'm talking to THEM.

If you dont like reading my (or anybody else's) posts, stop coming on mx-3.com, I wont follow you everywhere. Watch out tough, the FBI is!!

Ok enough of this, just take your lil' yellow pills and leave 'Ma alone.
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

come on guys. we are all on the same team here. some of you guys just need to start a new thread to ask your questions in. simple as that.

now let's all learn from this and move on with life. :)
92 mx-3 with lots of body damage
98 toyota tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

Grants wrote:wtf?

This guys got a problem wth his speedo.

Your kidding right? Not much to do with the question....

HOW does this represent mx-3.com being an expert at ANYTHING?
Did I miss something? Was this referring to me, or just the site in general???
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

xmaster19 wrote:MechaManZero :

Are you changing the wire harness for the Protegé one too?
I did the same thing with my 94 RS. You need a 92-93 cluster with the mechanical speed cable. Find somewhere to put it through, the hole is already in your firewall, next to your brake master, it has a plastic cover over it.

You'll need to modify the 92-93 cluster to accept the 94-up cluster brackets. Actually it's quite simple, the brackets are going over plastic tracks, and the tracks from your 94-up cluster are just a little bit longer. I used a flat screwdriver and some caveman brightness (read : hit it with the screwdriver until the tracks are short enough).

To put it all back together, start by connecting the cable at the back of your cluster, plug the 3 wire harnesses behind the cluster at the same place, then put everything back in place. Go under the hood and put the speed sensor back in it's hole. You wont be able to do it another way without breaking something.

If you're not changing the wire harness, remove the speed sensor from the old tranny and put it back in the Protegé tranny. It bolts right up. Then plug the wires back. Good luck!

94_MX-3 :

The speed cable can disconnect 2 different ways from the tranny. There is a bolt next to the speed sensor, if you unbolt it, you can remove the full speed sensor assembly by pulling it up and turning it left and right in the same move. In the worst case, pry it up with a flat screwdriver, but you can break the metal tab where the bolt goes. When you wanna put it back in, reverse process.

The cable can also unscrew itself from the speed sensor. It's kinda hard to do it this way because the is no swivel connector on the cable, so you need to turn the cable in its full lenght to be able to do this.

I hope this helps you guys. If you need more infos, just PM me.
OMG dude thank you lol. I thought I had to do some electronic conversion but this sounds a lot easier. You are the man.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

i'm still waiting for an answer to my original question BEFORE you douchebags hijacked my thread.

seriously you guys, go start your own threads it takes like 2 seconds.

where are all the moderators???????? this board is wack.
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

Read the answers to your original post dude. There is like 5 or 6 good tries of helping you. If what we mentionned is not correct, I'd say

TAKE IT TO THE GARAGE!!
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

ok well you know what, since my thread was hijacked and because nobody read what i posted i am still completly CLUELESS.

WHERE is the speedo cable? i can't even find the freaking thing!!

HOW do i check to see if it's loose?

WHAT do i do if it is loose?

now, someone please HELP!!!! i am seriously getting sick and tired of running out of gas because the trip and odometer don't work either and my fuel guage doesn't work either but that's another story.

so STOP hijacking my thread and will someone PLEASE help me with my problem before i go insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

sorry for hijacking your thread but....

Common sense says...

Did you follow the dang cable from your firewall. If the speedo is MECHANICAL there should be NO electronics involved MEANING that the CABLE goes FROM your CLUSTER to your TRANSMISSION. Sorry this is from a guy who has worked on diesels that run on everything mechanical including injectors. Unfortunately you can't just find anything by staring at your transmission hoping its going to jump out and bite you in the @ss. You got to actually follow the sorce. I would think your battery case is in the way and the speedo is on the top which is the closest spot they could locate a cable without rubbing on anything to get to your cluster. :roll:
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

i'm pretty sure i found the cable. thanks for stating the obvious.

now how do i know if there is anything wrong with it?

maybe some of you guys are hot shot mechanics but i just want my speedo, odometer, and trip meters to work.

please help me. i disconnected it and put it back together and now it doesn't work at all.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Did you check behind your cluster inside the car to see if the wire is fooked up
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

"fooked up?" i don't even know what i'm looking for. why don't you just leave this thread and never come back?

is there anyone with half a brain that can help me?
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

keep being a jerk and see if anyone wants to help you. sorry he hit one wrong key.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

half a brain. OK idiot. Your cluster has your gauges. speedo, tach, gas gauges. Yo take apart your console and look behind the cluster. Your friggen cable hooks up to that. Durrrrrrrrrrrr. Your speedo cable doesn't magically put numbers on your speed gauge. NM go to a friggen mechanic. If you don't like taking advise than don't ask. If you are going to b*tch and moan over this stupid freakin cable again, leave. Your not worth all of the people on MX-3.com's time.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

Guys, and this is directed at everyone. Keep your cool and watch your language while posting on this site please.

We are all here to learn and help others, not cause problems.
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

OK I will chill out.

Lets go to your next response alanbobalan.
alanbobalan wrote:
MX-3.com wrote:Read his original post. He says has a 92 4-Cyl, which from what I recall is indeed a mechanical connection, using a speedo cable, not sensors.
ditto. i have a 92 4 cylinder. the speedo cable is indeed a mechanical connection.

this might sound like a dumb question, but i have little to no experience under the dash and fixing stuff in the gauge cluster. can someone point me in the right direction? where is the speedo cable? how do i tighten it? i just need some enlightenment and i should be able to figure it out from there. doesn't sound too difficult.
Ok you answered your question with the fear of going behind the cluster. If you chose to do this without going to a mechanic shop, Start searching for screws where you cluster is. I believe when I took mine apart there where four, two on the top and two on the bottom. You will have to take some panels off before you can get to it. and unplug the wires in the back of the cluster so you can see behind it. you should be able to see your problem if it is back there. It isn't hard to get back there it is just annoying and time consuming. Your choice mechanic or do it yourself. If you feel this is going to be too much for you a recommend going to a trusty mechanic. PEACE.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”