alternator questions

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Grants wrote:120 miles of driving should be more than sufficient to charge it. Even if it was flat, I don't see how it could make the alternator fail.
Maybe 120 miles non stop driving at/above 2500RPM without brake lights,headlights, AC/Heater, radio, wipers, rear defrog etc might do the trick. My assumptions were based on comparing the time to fully charge a half-discharged battery(under no load in the garage) - and the time to drive 120 miles.

And the cause of failure for the original alternator (other than old age) might still be in the system waiting for its chance.

It takes atleast 13.2V at the terminals to charge a battery - anything below that would not charge the battery and might even mean battery discharge (depending on load and battery conditions). Above 14.5V will start gassing of the battery. That is why our alternator output is regulated at 14.1-14.7 volts.

The charge light also comes on if the alternator output is too high. It could even come on because of condensation/rain short circuiting exposed connectors.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

My charge light has been on for about 2 days. Today all my guages failed, so i parked it at the 7-11. I drove it home tonight, and it stalled about a mile down the road, battery is flat.

Time for a new one.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Well if your alternator is good and if you have manual tranny - then you can have some fun driving around without a battery :D

Seriously, It would be a good idea to test the alternator first - sometimes voltage regulators (in the alt) short out making the battery go flat. I always had an assumption that a flat battery will not make a running engine stall - but i guess it depends on the alt condition and the amount of electrical load.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

ariesdude wrote:Well if your alternator is good and if you have manual tranny - then you can have some fun driving around without a battery :D
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You're joking right?? Never ever drive without a battery. There are systems that rely on that battery to ack as a choke (cushion) and prevent any spikes that may come from the alternator. You can do serious damage to a number of electrical subsystems by not running a battery. Bad idea.... bad...bad...BAD.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

LMAO :lol:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

:werd:
92 mx-3 with lots of body damage
98 toyota tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6
madLyrical

Post by madLyrical »

my charge light was on for about a day or so , then just completely died on me at the mall, while driving i might add, good thing i was right by a sears, so i knew it was my alternator.. and even after all the warnings about getting remanned alternator, i couldnt help myself, and the lifetime warrenty. i know im weak, but it was like 80 cheaper, and the mechanic my dad worll put it in for 50 so i dont have to do the work and i still spend less.. im sure ill regret it later but for now.. i could buy a new xbox controller :lol: get my nba 2k6 on , go suns
Bling Bling

alternator questions

Post by Bling Bling »

Thanks for starting this topic. I got a few hints on diagnosing my 1.8 litre from your postings as well from my shop manual. Overall, it took about 2.5 - 3 hours to replace my alternator ( and I had to remove my AC Pump as well ). My charge light went away and everythings good again. I wouldn't recommend taking your cars into a shop to do this work as it really isn't bad. Just have some metric sockets and wrenches on hand and away you go. This was my first attempt at doing this as well.
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1335558 UPDATED June 6,07
94 GS, Green Envy Pearl QUESTION: Does my car fit the RICE category?
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

I just removed the ac to take it out. Watch out it's illigal oh well.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

Juggalomastaxx wrote:I just removed the ac to take it out. Watch out it's illigal oh well.
it's not illigal to remove your ac pump (or the entire system if your like me) it not even illigal to vent the freon into the atmosphere (just don't get it on your skin it burns real quick (and its not a hot burn its the cold burn))
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

reaper of souls wrote: it not even illigal to vent the freon into the atmosphere
In the U.S. it is illegal to vent R12 in the clear.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”