Mx-3 Dimmer To Speedhut Inverter Project

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I may have to make this trip just for you ;)
mr1in6billion wrote:Have you opened up both dimmers? I haven't had a chance to look at our dimmers, but if it's anything like my old civics dimmer....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/ ... on/dim.jpg

The little black box is a current regulater. By adding this to the circuit any readings taken at the terminal (unless fully powered) will be unreliable. And the value of the real pot will also be irrelevent. The only way to truely convert one dimmer to the other is to power them, then record the resulting output, then figure out how to alter the stock dimmer to mimic it.
Actually I took the readings at the pots using a multimeter. So I recorded the mininum and maximum values of each pot. The stock dimmer goes from 0 to 100K, the Speedhut goes from 1.5K to 4.5K. What I'm doing is making the stock 100K pot work as a 3K pot, with 1.5K resistor added in series to give me the 1.5-4.5K range i need
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

The reason why allmost all adjustment is going on all at once is because youre parralelling the pot, you misunderstood me earlier...

If you really want to drop the original dimmer but use it to control the speedhutinverter optimal, then show the actual original "from car" pot to a electronicsguy in the local radioshack or something, and tell him to order same kind BUT with the resistance that the speedhutinverter wants..

Then replace actual pot in the original dimmer and connect it to the speedhutinverter and it will work perfect, just without original dimmerfunction..

Im a sucker for details myself and a electronics-guy so i designed a circuit to do the desired function for me "original dimmer controlling as normal and speedhut EL's at the same time" It works but i can hear the inverter clipping or something, its certainly not feeding the EL's with pure sinus, witch shortens their lifespan :cry:

If i only could find a cheap oscilloscope somewhere, so i could see whats happened to the output and fix it :(
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies

Return to “Appearance”