Locks Jimmyed Open

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Vanished wrote:Howed they do it? Well i'm sure you guys know this, but you can open up the door by shoving a screw driving under the handle and if you push the plug from under the door it should open. (I pick locks in my spare time). Theres a slight dent (about the size of a screwdriver) right under the plug.
Devilhog wrote:Watch out for people popping your rear hatch lock too then opening it manualy.
Vanished wrote:Theres got to be some way to make sure this doesn't happen, but how?! I'm lost and right pissed.
Exactly. Personally, I've never had my car broken into, but I would like to take extra precaution in making it more difficult to break in. I would definitely like alot more information on these processes, but I'm affraid that this information could fall into the wrong hands. Few questions I have in regards to it:

- Do they need to unlock the door/hatch before they will open?
- What's the plug underneath the door your talking about?
- How where the alarms disabled? Do you ahve any details on that?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

In my old nova.. I ran a seperate battery to operate the alarm system. Got a 12V motorcycle battery and ran the positive cable directly to the Alternator. This way it wasnt obvious that there was a second battery operating in the car. They could cut the main battery power or cut the cable at the starter and it wouldnt disable the alarm. I also had a pager system with two different pagers, one that I kept on me and one that I left on my nightstand when I was sleeping.. just so I wouldnt forget to put my pager there. My car was broken into 7 times in 12 months at the apartment complex I lived at. But after I put this system into play.. they never got a thing. And one of the theives was eventually identified and went to jail. Turns out the other 2 thieves were people I worked with. Trust me.. their behavior eventually cost them a LOT more than their thieving cost me ;)

The thing that annoys me is.. you cant booby trap your car. Its illegal to do so. I was actually written a ticket for $143 for taping razor blades around the back side of my tape deck. There was theif blood all over the carpet and the cops wanted to know why. When I showed them the razor blades I had duct taped around the back side of my deck.. they about threw a fit! I couldnt understand why they were so upset about it. Its in my car.. a theif has no business being in my car to begin with.. so whats the big deal if the bastard gets his hands all slashed up? The other booby trap I wanted to do was electrify the chassis of the car with 50,000 volts. I checked with the police... if the car were parked on public property and someone got zapped.. I could be sued. Apparently I could have been sued for the razor blades as well. I think that is just a load of crap.. to me.. if someone breaks the law.. they should no longer have any rights. They broke the law. If they get hurt as a direct result of breaking the law.. hey.. life is tough.. maybe they would learn something. I can tell you that if I ever caught someone breaking into my car or my house.. they would not leave my property alive. If they live.. they can sue you. Thats the lesson that our justice systems teaches victims of crime today. Next time, kill them.

There was a story I saw not too long ago where a theif broke into a house in california I think, where he got trapped in the garage of the house for 7 days. He had to live off of dog food and soda. When the owners returned home and opened the garage.. the man bolted out and got away. He then later sued the people for some stupid reason and won. Our society and laws go to far to protect criminals and not far enough to protect the victims.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Tunes67 wrote:their behavior eventually cost them a LOT more than their thieving cost me ;)
I'm glad that sometimes these stories have good endings.
The thing that annoys me is.. you cant booby trap your car. Its illegal to do so. I was actually written a ticket for $143 for taping razor blades around the back side of my tape deck.
That I can't understand. If someone trespasses on your property the law states that you can use any means neccessary to protect yourself, your inhabitants, and your property. Why would it be different if someone trespassed into your car (which is your property)? I can understand things that may pose a threat to people outside the vehicle, or if your boobytrap has a chance of backfiring while driving, but razorblades behind the unit would only hurt someone who shouldn't be there, I see nothing wrong with that.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Neither did I.. but somehow by me putting those razorblades there was violating their basic human rights or some such crap. I took it to court and the judge agreed with me but would only lower the ticket by half. Apparently for some idiotic reason.. it is illegal.. at least was illegal.. this was 15 years ago. I suppose things could have changed.. but knowing lawmakers and politicians.. its probably still illegal and they may have some how made it illegal to even consider doing it. Blasted liberals.. oh well.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Tunes67 wrote:In my old nova.. I ran a seperate battery to operate the alarm system. Got a 12V motorcycle battery and ran the positive cable directly to the Alternator. This way it wasnt obvious that there was a second battery operating in the car. They could cut the main battery power or cut the cable at the starter and it wouldnt disable the alarm.
That's one thing I wanted to know is *how* they disable the alarm, if they disconnect the battery or go for straight for and try to find the module
Tunes67 wrote: The thing that annoys me is.. you cant booby trap your car. Its illegal to do so. I was actually written a ticket for $143 for taping razor blades around the back side of my tape deck. There was theif blood all over the carpet and the cops wanted to know why. When I showed them the razor blades I had duct taped around the back side of my deck.. they about threw a fit! I couldnt understand why they were so upset about it. Its in my car.. a theif has no business being in my car to begin with.. so whats the big deal if the bastard gets his hands all slashed up?
Damn straight, I love that idea! Personally, I want to bolt down some security cable, the type they use to secure down computers and laptops, and attach one to my deck, just short enough so the deck can't come out of the din to disconnect my cable.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Most remote alarms use a simple code to arm and disarm them.. if they know anything about electronics and frequencies.. they can make a scanner to remotely disable just about any alarm. Thats why I had the alarm as a key off switch located under the car. It was a bit more inconvienient.. but a well organized or smart theif can get through almost any remotely opperated alarm system.. and they dont even need to cut the battery out of the circuit to do so. Though that is the amatures way of getting past most alarms. Pros have the scanners. Amatures cut the battery cables. Easiest way to tell the difference between a kid and someone that has made a career out of it.

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

One other tip.. when buying car audio electronics, alarms or stereo.. PAY CASH!! Do NOT write a check or use a credit card. The retailer has no need to have your name and address on file. A car stereo theft ring involving 7 Car Toys employees was busted not long ago. The employees would get the names and addresses of new customers and pass the info on to friends who would then go and rip their new stereos off.

Make sure that the boxes that your components come in (especially the alarm systems) are sealed still and not opened. Buying over the internet from some place that has to ship your components a good distance to you isnt a bad idea either.

Yeah I know this stuff sounds paranoid.. but why make it easy for the thieves?

Tunes67

mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I've installed a few alarms and remote starters in cars. Once you've installed one you realize how easy it is to disable an alarm and/or hotwire a car. There are added things tho to make theft harder. Better alarms have code hopping which makes it much much harder to steal codes; manual starter kills and feul cut offs help too.

The thing i'm worried about around here is the guys with tow trucks. If you head out to the old shipyards and wasteland areas at night you'll see a constant stream of cars being towed around. Many with wheels locked and alarms blazing. Most of them are towing it legit, but I always wonder how many arn't.
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

this might give you a few ideas. i know it's a repost, but it's friggin hilarious.

http://www.stickdeath.com/2005auto.swf
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”