Replaced Valve Seals..Still smokes like a 2 stroke!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
GringoEJS

Post by GringoEJS »

I have a current topic just like this also...my car smoked, I opened it up and found that the oil control rings were stuck in place to the pistons. I am in the process of ordering a new set. I'll comment back if/when the smoking issue is solved.
1994 MX-3
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Post by MX3driver »

A set of oil control rings are 80 bucks because most places will only sell them as a set, and you really should replace them all at once anyhow..for anyone that would like to know, I can't tell you if thats what it is yet, but im going to replaced the rings while I've got it out anyways... might as well. Took the exhaust manifold off and there is raw oil in it.. so it's getting in from somewhere.. ? Bugging the hell outta me haha...
any ideas.. im more than happy to hear everyones thoughts.
Ive been banned for moronic childish behavior.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

i have the exact same problem but mine only does it on cold startup. havent had the car over 4k rpm yet as the head was just rebuilt. what confuses me is that oil cant leak uphill so how can bad oil rings cause it to smoke on startup?

Bochek
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

i have the exact same problem but mine only does it on cold startup. havent had the car over 4k rpm yet as the head was just rebuilt. what confuses me is that oil cant leak uphill so how can bad oil rings cause it to smoke on startup?
Man you have a lot to learn my young friend LOL.. its not "Leaking" at all.. ever heard of oil pressure before? ;) Basically the oil pump pushes the oil where it needs to go.. if the oil control rings are shot.. the oil can go where it shouldnt go. However.. if you are only smoking at cold start.. and the smoke is white and doesnt have a burned oil smell to it.. likely that isnt smoke at all but steam from condensation burning off in your exaust system. And this is perfectly normal. And the colder the weather.. the more it will seem to "Smoke". Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Tunes67 wrote:
Man you have a lot to learn my young friend LOL.. its not "Leaking" at all.. ever heard of oil pressure before? ;) Basically the oil pump pushes the oil where it needs to go.. if the oil control rings are shot.. the oil can go where it shouldnt go. However.. if you are only smoking at cold start.. and the smoke is white and doesnt have a burned oil smell to it.. likely that isnt smoke at all but steam from condensation burning off in your exaust system. And this is perfectly normal. And the colder the weather.. the more it will seem to "Smoke". Cheers

Tunes67
Lol indeed ! My GS smokes like a drunken bar whore on cold days but not at all on days over 50.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Tunes67 wrote:

Tunes67

So your saying it might go away in warmer weather?!?!?!!

Thing is, it deffently "smokes" alot on a cold startup, like alot alot, like it makes a cloud of steam/smoke around the back of the car.

Hmm cant wait for some warmer weather to see if this actually is the problem!

And i know theres oil pressure. But is there something that like "sprays" the oil into the bottom of the cilinder under the piston? like there is no way to pressurize oil in there right?

Bochek
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You dont have to wait for warmer weather.. simply watch any other car at cold start up and you will see a similar cloud. Its completely normal. You have mentioned that your head was rebuilt. Who did the rebuild? Was it a shop that had full access to the car? If so.. likely they would have told you if there was anything else wrong in the bottom end of your engine. Afterall.. they would have made more cash from you if the engine needed further work than just a head rebuild.
But is there something that like "sprays" the oil into the bottom of the cilinder under the piston? like there is no way to pressurize oil in there right?
Not exactly.. there are oil passages in the piston rods, crank, and in the piston itself.. the oil is forced by the oil pump through these passages.. the oil then comes out around the oil control rings to lubricate the piston & cylinder walls while the piston is moving up and down. The oil control rings are there to do exactly as their name implys.. they are there to control the oil and prevent the oil from getting into the combustion chamber (above the top of the piston) where it could burn.

If you really want to learn about this stuff.. take some classes.. if you like working on your car and want to really get to know your stuff.. that is way to go. And then you would know this stuff better than I and you would have learned it all before your twenties where I had to learn this crap over the past 20 years of hands on working on my cars LOL Oh and here is one little truth that can apply to cars and to pretty much everything else.. doesnt matter how much you know.. you still dont know squat ;) Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”