Building a BP from the ground up...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shades

Post by Shades »

I ordered my SPEC flywheel and Stage 2+ clutch with the lightweight option today.

So what do you think the end HP is gonna be when I'm done, with no turbo just straight BP power? I have lightened crank pulley, lighter rods and pistons, lightened flywheel and clutch, etc.

Stock is about 130HP, correct me if I'm wrong... I hope to sit at around 150HP no turbo.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Shades wrote:I ordered my SPEC flywheel and Stage 2+ clutch with the lightweight option today.

So what do you think the end HP is gonna be when I'm done, with no turbo just straight BP power? I have lightened crank pulley, lighter rods and pistons, lightened flywheel and clutch, etc.

Stock is about 130HP, correct me if I'm wrong... I hope to sit at around 150HP no turbo.
Prolly more around 140. If you are using the Ford ECU you might have a little more but Mazda BP's came with like 125 and Ford was like 129. Something goofy like that.
Shades

Post by Shades »

Ok so I picked up my flywheel and clutch today... along with my UR pulley, but that's another story.

Flywheel looks good and it's pretty light, I'll weigh it at work tomorrow and the stock one and see what the difference is.

The lightweight clutch is alright... all they did was drill the disc plate on the clutch, which if you ask me works like cross drilled rotors and leaves less mating surface for the disc. Not worth the $70.

Now for the pulley... well, lets just say it's the wrong one. I don't know how they can screw that up. Maybe they didn't.

Does anyone know if there are two different BP cranks out there?
Is there one with a thicker snout?... and a fatter key?

I'll have pics in a couple of days.

I ordered my Wiseco 9:1 pistons from FM, they won't be here till the end of the month. I also ordered my Carrillo a-beams rods... not sure when those will come.

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

Shades

Post by Shades »

SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch and Flywheel
Flywheel is 10lbs lighter, and the clutch (which I paid $70us to get lightened) is only 1.75lbs lighter.

Here is the Unorthodox Racing Pulley for the thick nose crank (not for my crank, ARG)
Pulley is 3.75lbs lighter.

More pictures... http://members.shaw.ca/spudsicles/images/bp02.htm

atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Shades wrote:
Now for the pulley... well, lets just say it's the wrong one. I don't know how they can screw that up. Maybe they didn't.

Does anyone know if there are two different BP cranks out there?
Is there one with a thicker snout?... and a fatter key?

Yes there are two different BP Cranks-- I replied to your other thread about it.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Shades

Post by Shades »

Yes there are two different BP Cranks-- I replied to your other thread about it.
Thanks again... I got that sorted out. I'm using the 93 Miata UR pulley... not the 91-92 Miata UR pulley!

Got my Carrillo A-beam rods today! WOO!

More pictures here... http://members.shaw.ca/spudsicles/images/bp03.htm

Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Looking good!
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”