Defroster relay

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I could do that if you help me choose the right one. Was it 3-prong or 5-prong? How many Amps? Did you ask for it at the counter or on the shelves? How did you know where to hook it up? Did it have a legend?
Thanks.
Carthago Delenda Est
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You need a 4 or 5 prong - minimum 20A. Just ask at the counter - its the same relay as you would use for driving lights. The terminals will be labelled with numbers as per my previous post. Just hook the wire colours up as mentioned before.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I got a 4-prong 30A, clearly labeled relay with all the wires and plugs for it (a lighting kit). It may be a bit pricey ($20) but it's convenient and still a lot cheaper than a relay @ Mazda and not to mention a harness on top of that. Ofcourse your info from before will be instrumental to wiring this properly, so you have all of my gratitude. Cheers m8!
Carthago Delenda Est
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Good luck with it. $20 is okay, especially for a 30A one - it'll pay for itself every time you use it :D
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Yeah, especially here in Canada, where the climate DEMANDS a working defroster/defogger. I'll even solder the splices to make the connections more reliable. Now the only thing I have to solve is how to mount it. I guess I'll have to take a better look in there :)
Carthago Delenda Est
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Update. I wired the new relay (just used plastic ties to keep it in place lol), when I turn on the defogger, the relay clicks, there's no smoke or fire, so I'm assuming I did the job right :P Since I was playing around with the soldering iron, I also re-wired the deck, so I don't expect to be doing any more electrical work this year (other than cleaning the battery terminals lol). You guys (especially Grants) have been very helpful. Thanks!
Carthago Delenda Est
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

:2thumbsup: Well Done!!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”