just bought a mx3....first car EVER!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

LOL your enthusiasm is contagious. Most people here love there cars and get excited at the thought of getting to do something else to it. You have tons of possibilities with your car. It is a clean slate. So I see why you are high...that or you smoked a whole tree.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

man oh man, my buddy just told me he is gonna help me put in this water pump i bought from napa...im super pumped up..but check this out....the best part

this tunes67 guy is AWESOME!!! he sent me some link to a manual for a 95 mx3, but i have a 92. its still looking somewhat similar, so thats gonna help a ton.

today when i pressed on my clutch, i can hear a *clik clik* when i release it, but i can only hear it when the car is off....interesting noise....i wonder if i have to replace my clutch now too......anyone looking to buy a parts car...i think im sitting on one and i dont even know it yet.
My names Dave, and Mazda has direct access to my bank account...sighs...
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

in the first year i had my mx3 i had to replace the springs struts, timing belt head gasket valve cover gasket and the tranny 2 times and not the engine and clutch and im not regreting one bit of itt hey are an awesome car and well probably the smartest car you can get with the rising fuel prices since they have pretty good fuel consumption.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I doubt your clutch needs to be replaced.. the clicking noise could be a number of things.. it might be your neutral safety switch clicking.. clutch might need to be adjusted.. could just be the normal movement of parts inside the transmission.. If its operating normally.. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

As for the AWESOME thing.. dont sweat it man.. thats what these forums are for.. to help each other out. I still need to find my shop manual so I can help out another member but its buried from moving issues LOL.

If you have any issues while you are doing your maintenance.. just post up and you will get responses from any number of folks.. most of which have done the same kind of work you are about to do. Best of luck

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PhAzEXXi

Post by PhAzEXXi »

When i bought my 95 RS the shiter was so loose that i could put in 5th and i could move the shifter over and make it look like it was in 3rd. i had fun learning how to drive a stick with that. I put the bushings in and i had to do a little mahine shop work as the bushings were a little bit to wide and they wouldnt fit but they fit fine now. My shift throw is shorter now, the shifter is a bit loose but i dont have the 3rd link bushings in though. I strongly recomend the SRD bushings as they are definantly worth the money.
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

no time for hello......

my car is ripped apart, and im freaking out... lol

my buddy doesnt know the specs on my car...neither do i....wondering if someone can help me out

"ask your buddy if he knows the torque specs for the bolts.. esp the crank pully"

that was how my buddy worded it. maybe it makes more sense to some of you out there.....any help would be appreciated.

92 rs 1.6 5spd AC SOHC

if that isnt enough information i can post more...if u need it. thanks thanks thanks.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You should be able to find those torque specs in the online shop manual.. It should be the same for your SOHC as it would be for the DOHC. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

tunes67...coming through with the 1 2 ko answer as always...thanks man :lol:
mycarhatesme

SST

Post by mycarhatesme »

i keep reading about a SST....what is it, where do i get it, and will i need to take out a loan....cause its obviously needed to test stuff.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You dont really need it.. as long as you can count.. you wont need it. Near the firewall on the drivers side of your engine bay.. you will find a black diagnostic box.. flip the lid up on it.. on the bottom side of the lid you will find a diagram.. Bend a paper clip into a U shape and place it in the plug spots marked TEN and GND. Then get into your car and turn your key to the Run position. Then count the flashes ( if any ) from your Check Engine Light (aka CEL) if you do get any codes flashed at you.. you can reference the code number via another members website http://www.mx3er.com Grants is the fellow that hosts this website - He is Mr Electrical Wizard when it comes to the MX-3 and has the trouble codes from the 92-93 SOHC cars. His site appears to be down at the moment.. but give it a few hours and I am sure it will be back up and running soon. Best of luck.

Tunes67

mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

the bolt specs for my 92 RS and 95 GS are way different. *Shifty eyed* according to my buddy.

*sighs*
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah they would be way different.. but the torque specs for a 95 RS for anything attaching to the block (not the cylinder head) would be the same for a 92 RS. ;) And the 95 RS is covered by the online shop manual ;) Just got to do a bit more digging man :)

Tunes67

ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Tell him that the tourque specs for it are 1/4 turn past tight as F**K!. JUST PLAYING.
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

116 - 122 ft-lb for the crank cog to the block. To hold the crank pully to the cog it says 9.1 - 12.6 ft-lb.
The idler pully for the belt tensioner is 14 - 18 ft-lb.
The watter pump pully and all the timing cover bolts shoud be at 70 - 90 IN-lb.
This is from the 1993 Shop Manual for a SOHC RS. What else does he need?
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Shades

Post by Shades »

You should order up a Chilton's manual... just a thought.

Between that and the online manual, you're good as gold.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”