Engine swap for dummies

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

hgallegos915 wrote:pfft ill give you my old k8 for 200 dllrs plus shiipping.. BEAT THAT... 600 dllrs IS WAY too much for a k8... that engine is so freaking slow.. It has a descent pull BUT CMON... for the same price you can get a klde /FKZE/K8ZE/ maybe even a KLZE.. I suggest a millenia klde if you cant get the klze.. and TRUST ME! you eill never regret it.. EVER. Even better if you get a low milege engine you may only need to swap the timing belt or not even. I got my ffze with around 24-30 k miles and it is super quiet...no tapping..oil doesnt turn black right away like. Even if you do get a k8 on that you you MUST change timing eblt pump and seals..that engine is notorious for having bad seals if it has high milleage..parts for it are expensive..try going to autozone and getting simple parts for it..and you eill see...now as far as a kl..parts are cheaper for some reason.. You have more potential with a kl for future mods. Also FILL you mounts..or replace them ..on mine all of them where bad but my friend cory rice Hooooooked me up! :)
Wait, your saying for 650$ I could get a KLDE and all other parts I need to get along with the engine for the swap? Also, how much mileage is on your K8, and if I could actually do a KLDE engine swap for 650, where would you suggest I go to get one?
93' MX-3 - V6 (complete!) KLDE Engine, KL02 VAF, custom fog lights :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Lets put it into perspective:

K8:
Mazda Mx-3 : 1992-1996 (1998)

KL:
Mazda 626 : 1993-2002
Mazda MX6 : 1993-1997
Mazda Millenia : 1993-2002
Ford Probe : 1993-1997
*Correct me if I'm wrong on the dates

As you can see, you have more of a variety in terms of finding one, and the more common they are, the cheaper they should cost. Since K8's are only in Mx-3, but not a huge seller to begin with, they'll charge more since they would be harder to find, but KL's should be a dime a dozen because of all the cars they came in.

They are basically interchangable, the only thing that would be needed is the ECU and VAF from those engines. It's also recommended to upgrade the clutch, the stock clutch may not take the power, but it's not necessary. Of course it would be recommended to change other stuff while the engine is out, but that's options too
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Lets put it into perspective:

K8:
Mazda Mx-3 : 1992-1996 (1998)

KL:
Mazda 626 : 1993-2002
Mazda MX6 : 1993-1997
Mazda Millenia : 1993-2002
Ford Probe : 1993-1997
*Correct me if I'm wrong on the dates

As you can see, you have more of a variety in terms of finding one, and the more common they are, the cheaper they should cost. Since K8's are only in Mx-3, but not a huge seller to begin with, they'll charge more since they would be harder to find, but KL's should be a dime a dozen because of all the cars they came in.

They are basically interchangable, the only thing that would be needed is the ECU and VAF from those engines. It's also recommended to upgrade the clutch, the stock clutch may not take the power, but it's not necessary. Of course it would be recommended to change other stuff while the engine is out, but that's options too
Ok, so help me out here please, I'm still an mx-3 newbie... If I were to go the route of a KL engine, preferably a KLDE because I dont have enough $ for a ZE...all I would need for the DE engine swap, and I mean NEED would be the ECU and the VAF? I'm guessing the ECU would be like 75-125$ and the VAF...? Have any sites to recommend for purchasing the engine and/or parts? I know the clutch and other parts probably should be replaced at the same time, if not later, but I'm talking bare bone minimum need...so the ECU and VAF would be a NEED... right? Thanks for the help :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Absolute minimum: Just the engine
minimum: 2.5L ECU and VAF (otherwise the car will run rich, loose fuel economy and not run as efficient, ie, power)
recommended mininum: 2.5L ECU & VAF and proper clutch (stock clutch *may* hold up, but it's not designed for 165hp)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Pick up the phone and call local autowreckers, you can probably find one for pretty cheap. Just say your looking for the mazda 2.5L engine in the cars stated above.
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Rick Johnson wrote:Pick up the phone and call local autowreckers, you can probably find one for pretty cheap. Just say your looking for the mazda 2.5L engine in the cars stated above.
So far I've been looking online and although I haven't exhausted all my options, I'm running onto the last few, and ebay is one of the few options I haven't tried yet...as of now the cheapeast 2.5L mazda engine I found is 1,200$ plus 150$ shipping.

Update: I found another site that looked promising for the selection, but the cheapeast 2.5 engine they had for a mazda 626 (which is what I'm looking for, i think) was like 1050$ plus shipping.
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Reaver19 wrote:
Rick Johnson wrote:Pick up the phone and call local autowreckers, you can probably find one for pretty cheap. Just say your looking for the mazda 2.5L engine in the cars stated above.
So far I've been looking online and although I haven't exhausted all my options, I'm running onto the last few, and ebay is one of the few options I haven't tried yet...as of now the cheapeast 2.5L mazda engine I found is 1,200$ plus 150$ shipping.

Success, I think...Has anyone EVER done business with these guys or know someone who has, I'd really really appreciate it if someone could give these guys some credibility, It sure would suck to get scammed. Right now I'm eyeing up the KFZE engine (I can't afford the ZE with the ECU and VAF, but I think I can afford the KFZE with the ECU and VAF) The address is : http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/intromazda.htm

Thanks alot guys :)

While I'm at it, anybody buy anything off of these guys? They have reasonable prices, so I'm curious... http://www.japandomesticmotor.com/
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Don't bother with the KFZE, your wasting your time and money go with a KLDE cause its cheaper and faster, or go with the ZE if your gonna already be paying shipping you might as well go all out.

Honestly the ZE isn't even fast... and for everyday normal driving the DE would be very similar.
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Rick Johnson wrote:Don't bother with the KFZE, your wasting your time and money go with a KLDE cause its cheaper and faster, or go with the ZE if your gonna already be paying shipping you might as well go all out.

Honestly the ZE isn't even fast... and for everyday normal driving the DE would be very similar.
Well I'd like to go with the KLDE but honestly I haven't found one yet, I've only found the K8, the KFZE and the KLZE and the KLZE is just too much $ for me right now, between books and tuition bills and gas. Anyways, those sites reliable?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Reaver19 wrote: Well I'd like to go with the KLDE but honestly I haven't found one yet, I've only found the K8, the KFZE and the KLZE and the KLZE is just too much $ for me right now, between books and tuition bills and gas. Anyways, those sites reliable?
Then you're looking in the wrong places. You have to look at Probetalk.com or mx6.com for a KLDE. People buying KLZE's for thier cars will need to sell thier KLDE. I wanted to rebuild my KLDE when I got one anyways, so I picked up a broken block for $60, which I salvaged the heads, crank, and crank girdle from. Picked up replacement block and ZE pistons for $200 shipped total. Put it together, and I got a whole KLDE with ZE pistons for $260 in parts, plus my machine work and gaskets, but I was planning on rebuilding anyways.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

:werd: ^^ Read and learn, if you really have no choice about shipping, you could easily get one off someone on PT for dirt cheap, I've seen decent running DE's go for ~$200, and blown motors go for $0 <not a typo> If you like wasting money and being dissappointed go with the KFZE.
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Rick Johnson wrote::werd: ^^ Read and learn, if you really have no choice about shipping, you could easily get one off someone on PT for dirt cheap, I've seen decent running DE's go for ~$200, and blown motors go for $0 <not a typo> If you like wasting money and being dissappointed go with the KFZE.
I wanted to get a DE or a KLZE from the start, but KLZE is out of the question because of the $ it costs, which I just don't have right now. As for the DE, I suppose I just need to be patient and look in the right places, as you guys have said, I'll try to keep my eyes open, but one thing I dont have much of besides money, is time. Between College and work I hope I can manage to keep checking out the sites for available engines :) Thanks again guys.
zreak

Post by zreak »

We have some wicked taxes on changing enginesize over here. And the risk of getting caught, even though they look completely a like... And I'll go safe for now, and switch a K8 with a K8.

Anyways, I've talked more with the shop that has what I think is a good engine.

it's a '98 K8 with 42300 miles for £275 + £180 shipping [UK to Norway] and it comes with a 3months warranty

However I can't find anything about the shop anywhere, anyone from the UK here? Could you verify this shop? Anyone done business with them before?

Mazda & Mitsubishi Spares
Corporation Road, Rochdale,
Lancashire.
01706 658 277

They sent me this image of the car and engine

The Engine comes WITHOUT the Alternator,
Distributor & Powersteering PUMP but everything is included i.e Inlet &
outlet manifolds etc
Getting new parts is up to you, but is a good idea. Timing belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets, thermostat, new clutch are all IMO necessities and will add 300-400 additional cost to the swap, but you'd still have to buy this stuff for a K8 anyways, but again, its up to you. If your engine's timing belt breaks after you install it and drive it for 4k miles then its your own damn fault for being a cheapass & lazyass, so replace it when its out and 10000 times easier!
Are these parts you think I need to buy new?

I have no idea what more to ask/look for.. :p
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

where are you located? heres one that runs great for $250 in TN http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701170991

sure he would prefer not to ship but if you offered him a little green I'm sure he'd be more then willing.
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Rick Johnson wrote:where are you located? heres one that runs great for $250 in TN http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701170991

sure he would prefer not to ship but if you offered him a little green I'm sure he'd be more then willing.
Yeah that's not bad, now if only I could find a DE that easily =P

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”