Sinnovations 2 Slim Visors?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Shades

Post by Shades »

I like how this is going... :lol:
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah Im biting, I would like a set of slim visors, just can't see paying that much for a, basically, appearance mod.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Custommx3 wrote:I have them too, I like them. I just wish they did a better job of keeping the rain out of the corner.
Even the larger factory ones don't seem to remedy that either. Have had mine on for 10 years and are still working/looking fine. But during a heavy rain and at speed the rain flows along the window to the upper corner so if you try to crack the winow open a little it's going to come in onto the side of the seat.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I have them on my car, and I really like them.

Although my dumbass friend broke my passenger side slim visor.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

waste of money, i love my car regardless of how many stupid little things i can add on to it. jmho
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
bushidosword

Post by bushidosword »

Wow that would be sweet... Why not that have a small mx-3.com engraved in the corner?? Well im in anyway at anything near that price!
:D One again u proove yourself usefull tunes!!! :wink:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well dont count your chickens before they are hatched.. I will look into this.. but it wont be till July before I can get serious about it at work. And while I am pretty sure I can produce something similar.. There might be some finishing work involved that I cant forsee at this time. At this point in time, I dont even have a line drawing pattern made to input into the laser to tell it what shape to cut. Keep in mind that while the laser will cut any pattern out.. it will be a FLAT pattern. This means that all the edges will be a 90 degree angle cut.. it might look funny.. I wont know till I can cut one out and put it on the side of my car to see how it looks.

But here is another bone I can throw out to you guys. If someone can make the pattern it will save me a ton of time. Keep in mind that the pattern cant be just like the ones produced by anyone else or it would be a copyright infringement and our company could get in huge trouble if they decided to get sticky about it. Also.. I can cut out custom patterns as well.. not just for window shades or visors.. but for just about anything that you might want to use a flat piece of custom cut plastic for. For example.. I am going to take out my center console pocket that is under my stereo.. measure the dimensions and custom cut a nice thick piece of black plastic to fit in its place. I will also cut 2 perfectly round holes in the center of this plate and mount in my oil pressure gauge and my water temp gauge onto the custom plate. When its done I will have pics of course so you can see how it turns out.

If anyone wants to try their hand at making a custom pattern for me to laser cut out of plastic.. the software to use is Corel Draw 9 or better (I think CD 13 is out or will be soon.. we use revisions 9,10,11 at work) Make the line widths no greater than .001 inches. If you only have Corel Draw 12 or 13.. dont sweat it.. you can save your layout into the previous version of your choice. Use black for your pen color. Also.. what you see is what will cut out.. so if you have ragged edges.. clean them up so that the laser will cut smoothly. PM me if anyone has anything they want done custom. Prices are generally pretty cheap if you do the artwork. .25 cents per square inch of material. And usually a laser time fee (stuff that doesnt take a lot of time usually gets a flat rate of $7.50 per piece) If someone comes up with a pattern that will work and everyone likes it (or wait for me to get one done in July sometime) We can even talk to Jeff about doing a group buy and save even more cash. There are tons of options available here.. I do custom work for aircraft dash boards and have had several of my stainless steel etched plates done for Boeing Jets and even for companies working on the alaskan pipeline. What we can do here is really only limited by imagination and some times costs. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to custom cut metals.. but maybe in a few years ;) Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

The edges are all rounded, as if they were melted on the edges. At no point on the entire piece is there a sharp edge. I've had mine since they 1st became avail through a group buy and I am very happy with them.
Shades

Post by Shades »

Tunes67, I have my passenger side window visor still.

Here is what happened dumbass' broke into my car and ripped off the stock one from Mazda a week ago... and they took it... not both sides, just the driver side. This would be the reason why I'm looking for another set... as Mazda doesn't supply the stock ones anymore.

Probably after school is done for me, June 24th... sometime after that I'll be coming down from Vancouver, Canada to Bellevue, WA to pick up another 17" wheel cause I curbed one of my new ones... I'm an idiot.

If you wanted, we could meet someone and you could take my passenger side one to make a template... I don't know how far Everett is from Bellevue or it may be on the way down I think.

Just a suggestion if you want it, let me know.

... and for the 90 degree square edges, couldn't you just sand down the sharp edges?

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Meeting up would be no problem.. I actually work in Kenmore which is not too far from Bellevue (a lot closer than Everett is to bellevue LOL) As for sanding down the edges.. yes that could be done.. but we are trying to find a way here to mass produce these cheap.. if every set has to be hand sanded to finish.. it would definately add to the cost.. dunno about you.. but if they turn out to be as much in demand as it looks like they might be.. do YOU want to hand sand down 20 sets of them? ;)

And yeah.. bring in the one you have and I will see what can be done with it. Pics may be worth a 1000 words.. but having the item in hand will make it tons easier for me to see what I need to do to make something comparable. We can discuss directions later as the time draws closer. Cheers.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Shades

Post by Shades »

True, I wouldn't want you to sand down the edges and nor do I... maybe in the install directions you could put a warning "Sharp edges, use with caution!" LoL :lol: Then it's up to the buyer to sand the edges or whatever... at such a discounted rate I think it would be worth it.

But as you said we'll see how things go closer to July and all.

I'm surprised they don't make a deburring tool for plastic.

Taras

Post by Taras »

Tunes, if you are using polycarbonate pieces of plastic to make the visors, you can router the edges to a nice smooth curve but they will still probably need to be polished off or blasted with a torch to smooth them out.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

We havent actually picked out what plastic to use yet.. on the stuff I have in stock.. we use a beveler to give a decent edge.. but its still no where near as nice as a clean smooth edge. The main thing I have going for us here is that I can cut with the laser for a very precise pattern that can be replicated as many times as we want. We dont have a router on site unfortunately.. and the thickness of the plastic I have is only 1/8". Not sure if that could be routered or not to be honest. I'll bring a couple of samples with me when I head north to meet up with you Taras so you can see what I am working with. I will try to find some clear and smoked samples you can check out.. the stuff is easy to heat and bend, the problem with that would be repeatable accuracy I think.

Tunes67

PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You should be able ot create a two piece fiber glass compression mold then place the heated poly inbetween and clamp it till it cools. It will hold the shape so long as the mold is correct and THICK. I'd use a ice bath in a cooler to make the process quicker. Fiberglass will hold heat (obviously it is insulation in houses etc) To make the mold use alot of glass and as little resin as you can get (so long as it is saturated) Shoot I'd be willing to make the mold for a free set of the finished product. I'd need a set of slim visors to form from and a cut version that you made to test the heat and press method. I used a similar method to make hatch cover replacements.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Shades

Post by Shades »

Tunes67 and Taras, not to intervene but when are you two meeting up?... I could drop off the stock visor for template then if you don't mind. ;)

Return to “Appearance”