Improving brake performance

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

The Hawk pads are definitely good. The HP+ pads are more for autocross events rather than roadracing and they do make a little more noise. I roadraced my last set last year and wore the rotors out completely. They got way too hot and ended up cracking and warping the front rotors. Hawk makes a race pad for about $120 for the front which I'll be looking into for my Robeling road expierence.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Well I'm using my pads for no more than 5 hotlaps at a time. It's just a test really. If they don't work out for me at the track then I'll just have to start changing the pads at the track. I'll either go with Hawk Blue's or Williams F1.10's.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote:yeah, I got a set of S/CD Brembo Miata rotors for about 200 front and rear on Ebay. They fit perfectly and function just fine. I've had them for about 10k miles now and no probs. I also noticed a good improvement when I did stainless lines. The rotors and pads went on at the same time so I can't be possitive if the rotors helped, but I have 0 brake fade now and used to have a ton. Ps, I use ceramic pads, awsome, I love them and will keep using them.
Gro, was that you that came up with the Miata rotor thing, I learned it so long ago I can't remember who posted it. Anyway if it was thanks. It saved me a ton on the rotors and gave me way more options to choose from. One of the best ideas on parts swapping.
Pat, are you saying that the S/CD Brembo Miata Front Rotors are a direct fit for the GS, '92 specifically? I've been looking at replacing the front rotors sometime this year. If so, what year Miata should I look to? Would the corresponding year Miata caliper work with those rotors or is it an alignment/mounting issue for the caliper. Isn't the Miata a better quality caliper (multi piston?) or too small for our car's weight/size application? I've already got new SS lines on the way and I've got a new set of rear oem rotors so all I need is the pads (front and rear, and more than likely ceramic) and front rotors with the possible addition/ integration of a Miata caliper (if it's do-able). What are peoples thoughts on these possibilities.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

true, pads are what matter the most, but a properly maintained braking system is IMO more important than simply just upgrading the pads to a gripper unit.

And be sure to properly break-in the brakes! This is VERY FRIGGIN IMPORTANT and something that people hardly ever do.

i posted the procedure in that FAQ.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”