How fast is the mx-3 with the Klze motor compared to the KLde motor
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

.5 - 1 second faster in the 1/4.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

GTECH is very inaccurate. It is all about user error which is ABUNDANT when it comes to these thigns.

I had one back in the day. I ran 15.8's in my protege LX. At the actual drag strip I never ran better than a 16.7.

You have to set the thing on level pavement PERFECTLY to even begin to get accurate figures. The thing I really thought was a horrible design flaw was the fact the thing is suction cupped to your windsheild AND the fact you have to press the damn button on the unit to start you run!?

WTF? You have to NUDGE the thing to start it, which potentially can (and usually doe) knock it out of its "levelness" (or whatever the proper term is). This totally mess's up the g's it measures which gives you crap results.

I think the new model has a button that is off the cord but I dunno...the one I had was the black boxy one w/red led display, not the newer SAFC looking one.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

kiwi_MX3 wrote:Well Gro and everyone else come january this issue will be
put to bed once and for all time slips will be posted along with
link to the nights racing times

I will be in the 12's else there is one serious problem!
I admire your optimism, but what are you installing exactly?

I thought we are talking about NA KLZE's. If you are going nawwz or turbo sure, you could probably run 12's easily.

I personally want to get into 13's w/none of that cheating crap ;). I was gonna run my car this past weekend but didn't have time. I will get a current slip VERY soon though. I'm hoping it will be 14.2ish
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Will be N/A gro going turbo or Nos put's me in another class.

The long term goal is 11.7 to piss someone off in pro import.

Yes the MX3 is being built to run the 1/4 and retain the barest
street leagel running gear,
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
Mad_Medeiros

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

whats the deal with KLZE's.. there good little motors.. but what the hell 200HP? drop it in an mx-3 and it runs only a 14.2-14.8? I'm going to guess traction is the issue? I know an mx-6 with a klze... and the guy is running high 13's?

hell what about all these hondas.. with h22's/b18c5's? both 200 HP motors with much less tourqe then klze's... yet there running LOW 13's no problem.

I'm starting to look away from a klze, rather get a BPT... seems to me like a way better engine.

Hell, I'm possibly gettin a DODGE NEON this saterday, (yes I know.. *flame suit on and ready) but with a header/fullexhaust/intake/moparecu/autoTB/some minor wieght reduction, I can hit mid to high 14's no problem.. with an almost STOCK 2L DOHC motor... drop in a crane 16 cam... and I will be in the 13's no problem..

these klze's just don't seem that fast to me.
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

IMVHO the K-series v6's suck a--.

I SOOOO wish i swapped the GTR BPT engine I had at the time I purchased my MX3 in 2003. It would've been a bit of work (swapping out all of the V6 brackets & wiring for the 4cylinder stuff) but it would've been a way better performer.

STock KLZE's dyno at 155-170whp typically. With intake, headers, exhaust, big throttle body and adjustable fuel pressure running dual feed, you can break into the 190whp area. Pushing it much past that is difficult, most guys port their stuff even more, polish heads, do all kinds of expensive stuff just to get out there. Megasquirt standalones are good for a bit of power but not enough to be worth paying $300+ for.

If you gut the crap out of your MX3 u will definitely have an advantage but I still believe that the GEARING IS TOO SHORT for these cars with this engine. THe gearing is suited for the K8 fine, but not a KL. Having to shift so often IMHO hinders the 1/4 mile times quite a bit

Thats why I got my 4.11 final drive w/taller 5th gear earlier this winter. I also run taller tires than stock (205/60 15's and 205/50 16's on my rotas).

IMO if u can keep the KLZE in its peakier powerband longer, you'll gain more speed. It seems to only pull hard between 5500 and 6500rpm's which is pretty narrow.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”