How do you replace tranny fluid on a manual V6?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

atlantamx3 wrote:You CAN fill it from that hole- but why?

I guess if you didnt want to mess with the speedo gear you could do it that way... but I just see that as being a big mess. You can removethe speedo gear with one bolt anf start filling her up. Still fairly easy.

I don't understand how there would be a mess though :\. Cause it can't be overfilled. Is the hole the speedo gear at higher on the tranny?
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Yeah, the speedo gear sits on the very top of the tranny where atlmx3 showed ya....You should NEVER fill it this full so no fluid would drip out. You just have to know how much to put in as you wont have the filler hole to guage your fluid level. But yes, the hole that you circled is the correct place to put fluid in per the shop manual. That picture is just a little disorienting and I can see how Perry would think that it was the bottom of the tranny.

There is no wrong way to do it as long as you put in the right stuff to the right level.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

what weight gear oil is ok to use? 80W90 gonna be ok?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

75w90 is what the manual says for all season. It also mentions that you can use 80w90 if above 50 degrees. I think that it would work. It just might be a little thick for your cold winters in Wa. Go find some redline MT90 (75w90) that is what I used.
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

:shock: Wow... Thats all I can say...

I changed my fluid yesterday. When I drained it around 2 litres came out...!!! Eeek... Filled it with 75/90W using the proper fill-hole on the front of the tranny with a long funnel w/flex-neck, worked fine. Just parked the front tires up on blocks (to raise the fill point abit) and put in approx 2.75 litres...

It feels like I did an engine-swap...! My car used to bog abit around the 3000-4000rpm area (just before the VRIS kicks in I think), but now it pulls the strongest it ever has since I bought it... I've also added the in-line PVC filter between the front valve cover & the IM, and cleaned all my plugs (new about 1000km ago and 2 were coated in oil, 1 literally)... And that G2 inline-filter works great, I already had to replace it after only about 500kms...!!! I also had to duct-tape the split in the seams of the stock rubber intake sleeve. I know it looks gross for now, gettin the modded tube intake this pay. But I blocked off the elbow (between the VAF & duct-tape) that goes by the distrib. with some thick sheet-plastic, wrenched the clamp down, and cut off the excess. I noticed a small difference (sound and feel) versus just the cone filter alone...

:roll: It still burns oil abit. But only after staying above, say, 3500+rpm (regardless which gear) and letting off. When I get back on the gas (especially if its just a little bit, sorta cruizin) its like a mini-James Bond smoke-screen... But the tranny-fluid change seems to have decreased the burning a little, if none at all...

:wink: Thats my story, and I'm stickin to it...

When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

do you have to remove battery or anything to fill/drain fluid? anyone has better pictures
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

i filled mine up through the whole with a long tube and a funnle...worked easy..no mess.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mitmaks wrote:do you have to remove battery or anything to fill/drain fluid? anyone has better pictures
No need to remove battery if using standard fill hole. Will have to however, remove the stock airbox.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

i still dont see where you drain it ...especially fill it from, anyone got better picture from front of the car, I can remove battery/box so it can be easier but not sure which bolt is fill plug.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

any help?
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

This is the best I could do. The Bottom is the drain plug...obviously. And the top plug is the fill hole. Most people use some tubing or hose to run from a funnel into the fill hole as it is impossible to just stick a funnel into a sideways hole and get fluid in the tranny.

What we were also discussing is shown in the picture on the first page of this thread...how you could also fill the tranny from where the speedo gear drops into the top of the tranny. Either way is fine.
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

how does speedo gear look like?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

is this picture from front if i were standing in front of the car?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Yes, but the pic does quite give a true representation of the drain which is almost directly at the very bottom. Because of the protecting fins around drain bolt, a normal wrench can't get in there. A socket is needed - 23mm I believe. Not one of my regular ones - had to buy one. Fill bolt is same size too I believe. Drain obviously from drain bolt and replace drain bolt with new crush washer. Fill from filler hole until it starts to run back out - and you're topped up to the right level - not sure how you guarantee the correct fill level via the speedo. Use new crush washer on filler plug also. That's it.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

not sure how you guarantee the correct fill level via the speedo.
I guess you should only do this if you know exactly how much to put back in. Becasue I can see someone pouring fluid in until it comes out of the speedo hole...:roll: its full now!!!! :lol:
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”