Is the MX-3 a good car for a first time buyer???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

I wouldn't say they're asking too much for it really. Like you said, a lot of the ones that are up for sale are around $5000+ with really high mileage like 180,000K+. For one thing, it's relatively younger than most of the Precidia's being that it's just a 95 and 86,000kms is crazy low!!! Most drivers in my experience who primarily stay within city limits 98% of the time and just use their car as a daily local ride usually rack up an average about 10,000kms per year. So if in fact that mileage is as low as they claim, 8600km/year is awesome. When I bought mine back in November and while I was shopping around, most of them were 92 and 93 models that had anywhere from 180,000 - 250,000kms. Then I came across an ad for this 95 GS with 113,000kms asking for $8100 (I think). Anyway, I had it inspected, and it was in great condition - only needed new brake rotors, minor exhaust fracture by the resonator, and tire wear was a little low on the fronts. In the end, I negotiated it down to $6800, which I think is still a fair price, considering I've seen a 96 GS with 60,000 more kms listed at $7500.

So yeah, $6450 might be high for an RS, but considering year and mileage, it's a pretty fair price IMHO. I don't think it's as steep as Typhoonk believes it is. I'd say make arrangements with the seller and spend the $60 or whatever it is to have a mechanic do an inspection on it and see how good a shape it really is in. If it's as mint as the seller claims it to be, they shouldn't have any reservations about having it looked at since you're paying out of your own pocket for it, except that it's a slight time inconvenience for the other party. But oh well, any reasonable seller willing to get rid of it won't have a problem dealing with the minor inconvenience. If they try to talk you out of having it looked at, walk away from it all together cuz they've got something to hide - basically it's somehow a lemon and they don't want you to know. And this way, even it's like $60, $80 whatever it was (less than $100, I do remember that at least), spending that bit now could save you well over $1000 in repairs later on if there are hidden problems with it that you'll have to deal with otherwise if you end up buying some POS. Good luck Prefy!!!

Had the rotors changed, oil and coolant flush, and a whole new set of all-seasons put on after I bought it. Not too concerned about the exhaust fracture; considering having my atx fluid looked at as long as I'm putting in a tranny cooler soon; may consider just having my timing belt looked at too since I believe it's still running on the original belt so far. BTW, what's an indication or symptom should I keep an eye out for to realize that I need the belt changed??

Bushidosword - I've never heard of an MX-3 with the ZE swap for less than $8500. Where did you see such a good deal?? If I ever do a swap on mine, I figured I'd be pouring in another $2500 at least into a project like that.
prefy

Post by prefy »

I think i've got the picture that the mx-3 is a pretty good car to start off. I will have to cnatact the seller, check out the car and do some dealings. Ill keep you guys updated.

Thanks for all the information!!!! :D

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”