is the 1.6 sohc really that bad?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

manowar821 wrote:I don't know, I have a sohc. It's also an autooooo OOO NOOOO.
But seriously, I beat a friends crx that had the integra LS motor in it.

I dunno, maybe you and I have special motors..? No-one belived me when I said I beat that thing either.

The SOHC isn't FAST, but its a tough little mofo. I'm guessing you can do quite a bit with it, given the right budget.

oh man. you beat an ls crx? all i can say is that your friend does not know how to drive. my friends ls crx runs low 15's with intake and exhaust. even with my bp, i couldn't hang with him. stop with all the bulls--- allready. stop making it seem like the sohc is untouchable. upgrade to the bp and you'll know what i mean.
bp mx-3
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I find it amazing that some of the SOHC guys in here think that a car that runs about 17-18secs in the 1/4 mile is a reasonably quick car.

Most guys I know around here avoided the MX3 because they found it too slow for a sports car and these are guys who drove the GS V6 version.

Honestly Mazda should have shipped the RS with the BP and the GS with the KLZE engines, they would have sold a lot more MX3s and certainly the MX3 would have been a lot more respected.

Most of the guys around here who are into sports cars here have Nissan Pulsars GTIRs, Nissan Skylines, Subaru WRXs, Mitsuibishi EVOs, Toyota Supras and Toyota Celica GT4s so they pretty much laugh at the MX3.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
prototype

Post by prototype »

johnboi85 wrote:
prototype wrote:I got the SOHC and I don't see why people say it's so awful......

ok I know it isn't FAST, but it's a quick little engine/car combo...

I can keep up with a 300hp Pontiac Firebird Formula from a 40mph roll, and it only pulls of me ever so slighty...

Plus intake/exhaust modified 1.6 civics don't stand a chance... took one of those by 4 car legnths...

And just for fun, ford trucks are a joke. :) lol.

And yes these cars were all trying... in fact the driver of the formula said that they were over revving their car a little and that made me happy, cause I was redlining ofcourse...

Also, why do so many people have a hard time burning out? I just put new tires on my car, 'A' traction in dry weather, and I can smoke it too easily (stock 14" rims may be the reason). I wanna race the formula again now that I got a muffler but only after I get my intake. :) lol.

from a dead stop... I had it till about 30mph because it had NO TRACTION at all, but after it hooked, it was like a sling shot... though I suprised the driver a lot. :)
your kidding right? i hope you are and if your not, brace yourself for flameage. no way your sohc did all that? took off like a sling shot? hmmm wonder why my sohc couldn't do that? muffler and intake? 20 hp right? :roll: oh man you make me laugh

You miss read what I said.. THE FORMULA took off like a sling shot after it got traction. only reason I was ahead of her in my little mx3 was because I had traction, but otherwise I'm not kidding. I did out run a civic and I kept up from a roll with that same formula, and I'll tell you why. 1st off, civics are even more underpowered than my car, and second, the formula makes it's peak torque at 2800rpm, which means it basically stops pulling afterwards. :wink: It's not very fast after 60mph, but from a dead stop to 60 the formula runs 5.2.
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I've been in quite the same scenario, actually. A friend of mine has a 2000 Trans Am ram-air (6-speed manual), and I raced him when I had my SOHC.. but he kicked my a-- all the way from the start. I don't know what SOHC you have, but I sure wish I'd had it in my car. By the time I shifted into 2nd, he was already 4 or 5 carlengths ahead of me.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
prototype

Post by prototype »

Well yah that is what would have happened if I raced from a dead stop and we just kept gunning it...

we lined up beside eachother doing about 45 and I'm a better driver so I was able to luanch my car faster (plus the formula is an auto and it took a sec to downshift, whereas I had my car in 2nd revving already :D) and i was able to keep alongside it all the way till about 75 then we let off.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

This thread is a bunch of crap! "oh... i was beating him until his tires stopped spinning...." "oh.... I kept up with a car that has 4x the horsepower i do but i let off at 75...." If your guys SOHC's are really that fast I wanna see a time slip that proves it. I wanna see a video or something.[/quote]
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
prototype

Post by prototype »

3x the horsepower. :P haha
1992 MX-3 SOHC 1.6

15" 5 spoke star wheels with 195x50 Futura sport tires. Solid filled Poly Urethane motor mounts. Short throw shifter, aluminum and carbon fiber shift knob. Ebay Cold Air Intake, 2" Custom Cat Back exhaust with Glass pack muffler and 3" slant chrome tip. Dual 10" JBL's with Kenwood amp with neon pulsating light, dual 6x9's in carpeted box, Clarion head unit. Custom blue/black interior.
prototype

Post by prototype »

And um I have video footage, but don't have a way of putting on the comp. . . I'll do a 0-60 run, tape it, and then take it to school and go to the lab and make a digital movie out of it so you can all see... my car doesn't run a 12 second 0-60... and if yours did then something was seriously wrong with it lol.
1992 MX-3 SOHC 1.6

15" 5 spoke star wheels with 195x50 Futura sport tires. Solid filled Poly Urethane motor mounts. Short throw shifter, aluminum and carbon fiber shift knob. Ebay Cold Air Intake, 2" Custom Cat Back exhaust with Glass pack muffler and 3" slant chrome tip. Dual 10" JBL's with Kenwood amp with neon pulsating light, dual 6x9's in carpeted box, Clarion head unit. Custom blue/black interior.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

i had a 92 sohc rs as my first car. had an aftermarket exhaust and it was a fun little car, but when the new celicas and stuff came out in 2002 this car was slow in comparison. On a positive note it went up to 300,000km with no major repairs and would have kept going if a truck didnt smash into it. great little engine IMO. and yes i was able to hang side my side against civics 1.6L for 1st and 2nd gear and integras would just smoke me anyday in that thing. heck integras are faster than my stock gs so i dont know how u guys are hanging with 300hp muscle cars???
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

mine is pretty peppy but I get anihillated by my buddies Subaru 2.5 RS. The only mod he has is an AEM short ram intake. I have intake, exhaust, etc, and its not even close. I will admit my SOHC is slow as hell, but at $2.35 a gallon i'm glad I don't have a V8. BP coming soon...
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
What

Post by What »

0-50 is probably about the same or better than a lot of FWD cars.

0-50 being 0-50km/h and being designed for little bit of torque it can be limited by traction in 1st gear only depending on how you drive... just like every other 100-300hp front wheel drive car. You can only get going depening on how much traction you have available, the powerband, and the driver. I know the 60ft times in my Swift varied by maybe a .1 of a second from 100hp to 230hp and I know guys at that 100hp mark who got the same 60ft times I had.

After 1st gear the sohc sucks though. It doesn't make me miserable to drive like an automatic Kia, but it is a big let down. I changed the timing and such silly things on this sohc, and I would be surprised if it really did take 12 seconds to 100km/h at this point. Regardless if its 9.5 or 12.5 seconds to 62mph, it's still slow.

It's not really allll thaaatt bad compared to base civics and such things though.
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

like i said i never said it was fast. but this guy and his 300 hp fourmula he hung i dont know about him. i bet you raced one shitty fourmula with a stock motor with a bazzilion miles on it.

and fyi a cars that makes it max torque at 2800. would have all that torque till redline.
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

heck integras are faster than my stock gs so i dont know how u guys are hanging with 300hp muscle cars???
They're not. There is more BS in this thread than you could possibly scrape off the ground of a Texas cattle ranch in a year.

My friends v6 automatic F-150 blew me away like I was sitting still, and I had a rolling start. My brothers 3.8 minivan left me like I was in reverse. But people here are keeping up with and/or leaving behind Formula Firebirds. Uh huh. Keep telling people there are things wrong with their cars if they cant do it to. We know better.

This thread is about one "|Thatz SoME mad TyTE driFtin Yo|" quote away from belonging in the local Neon forum.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
What

Post by What »

92rsmx-3 wrote: i bet you raced one shitty fourmula with a stock motor with a bazzilion miles on it.
I've seen some of those around... spewing oil out the back, dents, rust... Not really over-rated for power at that point, and certainly potentially some other problems preventing them from accelerating without stutters or something. Even then... 1st gear the RWD should have had the advantage... 2nd gear... there is no way theyclose unless the loud exhaust leak was counted as trying. :P :P :P
prototype

Ok just never mind till I get proof...

Post by prototype »

The formula is my mom and dad's baby. It's got a 130k miles on it, L98 and from a standstill It completely annihilated me after it got traction, cause all the way to 30 it was fishtailing like crazy. What you all don't seem to understand is that the 1989 L98 engine isn't all that fast after it get's rolling, but it's fast when it comes to getting the car going.

And when did I ever claim I outran the formula? Never. You are all reading things into this because you all just want something to talk about...

Btw I raced a 1980 Ford F-150 with a rebuilt 351 Windsor and dual exhaust all the way back with flormasters. Stock the 351 windsor makes 240HP and the truck itself weighs 4800lbs. From a standstill he was 3-4 car legnths behind me all the way up to 85mph. If you don't believe me that's your business, but I'll be happy to get some proof cause I'm sick of getting hated on for being happy with my car just because it's not a freaking DOHC 1.8 BP. It is, what it is. a fun little car, but just because the SOHC in it wasn't meant to be FAST from the factory doesn't mean I can't still make it fast, and I plan to do just that. Don't you think a 170hp 1.6 can exist? Maybe with a little help from a turbo or nitrous, hell yes! So after it's finished, if one of you stock BPers want to race me go ahead, you'll be begging me to slow down.

Now will someone lock this thread before we all get into a big fight? I think we are all proud mazda owners, and I don't think this seperation between engine choices is helping the relatively Small MX-3 Community...
1992 MX-3 SOHC 1.6

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”