HELP: DE Timing belt just broke!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

The guy who's doing it, John, is very trustworthy. He's done a lotta work on my boyfriends RX-7 and when we're running short on cash he'll let one of us work for him on the weekends to help pay for parts. I'll probably be there the entire time he's doing it cause I'm trying to learn how to do all this stuff. If he sees something that needs to be done he'll let me know right off. (BTW...he's Mazda trained. He worked at a dealership for many years. We're lucky that we've found such a great, honest guy.)
The guy I bought the car from already had another timing belt for it along with an Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley. I'm getting the front hub assy. from Mazda for around $115 each and I'll probably get all the other parts from Bumper to Bumper. (Kinda like Autozone if you've never heard of it.) We get crazy discounts on OEM parts there and most of the time free lifetime warranties. I will probably go back to Mazda to get the tensioner pulley along with the other belts. John gives us really good deals because 1.) we have his shop name on all our cars and 2.) we help him out when he needs it.

I just got the car and it's my first V6. I'm looking into having the engine built maybe next year sometime. What are some things that can be done to make the engine stronger, not necessarily for crazy HP or a turbo setup or anything, just so it'll last a really long time and have decent power?
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Converts into local currency....
Ekkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!! thats like hell i can by a MX3
for that wedge of cheese.......

Go da Sev.... had a series 1 with a monster Brigde / Baby J
life begines at 12,000 rpm.... and impoundment of car........

Im in the current process of building up a MX3 for drag racing
and pretty much will detail the spec's of the final product........
And pretty much machine all my own parts
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

Okay this is her b/f. The timing belt is not broke, it is in really bad shape though. It was the ignitor in the disty that went bad. On of the guys off of Probetalk.com informed me that is the tach is acting all kinds of stupid, like it was, that the ignitor is about to go out. he also asked me if it was miss firing, which it was, and he said that the ingnitor again was most likly the same problem.

So my question is what kinds of disty's will fit a klde in a mx3? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

the 92-93 mx3 disty and the 93-94 pgt, v6 mx6, and v6 626 all use the same one. Just check the part # on the new one to make sure its the same.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Don't go to a junkyard for a distributor. The ones that'll fit the MX3 all have the same tendancy to fail. Get a remanufactured one from Autozone or something like that. I paid $145 + core for mine. It's got a lifetime warranty so if it every blows again, I just trade it in for another. I've had mine about a year and a half with no probs.
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

This is my KL031 Dizzy ( internal coil pack ) thats been rebuilt
new bearing and seal and clean, bead blasted and all the parts
needed for Gro's HDI mod....

Id go down this road if your going for a power upgrade in the future

Image[/url]
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

does the cambelt on the V6 engines mean bye-bye 24 valves, 6 pistons and all that too?

or is that also a safe engine for it to go on?

Apparantly mines been done, but I have no invoice for it in the service history which is annoying, I'm probably gonna get it done anyways tbh, along with a general service.. just waiting to be paid and all that, (tomorrow!) because its not going to be cheap.. £510 for the cambelt alone aint it? put a service on there and ....well, I reckon its going to be at least £700 or something?! :shock:
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

i paid £510 at the mazda dealer for a service and timing belt. it was the extras that cost me :?
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”