Going for 600 whp

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

My runners merge at 23 inches then yeah the rest is a lot longer. I'm not going to weld the rest of the manifold. If I had sheilding gas w/ a regulator and SS wire it would work fine. I stupidly tried to weld SS with Mild Steel wire. The manifold is getting TIG welded with SS filler rod. As for the collector I'm figuring spool up time and response would take at loss. It's hard to say with out flow benching them....even then it's hard to analize cuz your lacking the heat. In away I guess it would be good since hot gasses like to move to the cooler denser side. But with that large area I figure it would cause the gases to stall because they would want to fill the void in that area of the collector and loose a bit of velocity before hitting the turbine. Would be an interesting test to run and see what happens! But who has the time and money for that....LOL.....besides big race teams with big sponsors.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Why are the runners so long? Is the turbo to big to fit closer?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

yah seems like a BIG waist of pipe. i know you can fit a T4 in between the motor and rad. i would think the shorter the better, but i guess i could be wrong.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Go read "Update on project SPOOLN U" and then you'll understand why I purposly made the runners that way. I didn't do it so it looks cool... it is purpose built for big HP and high volume flow. AKA 30psi + a LOT of nitrous. This is a 1/4 mile drag car with street lights and an inspection sticker saying it's a street car.....and thats it. Yes the turbo would fit between the block and radiator if I removed both cooling fans, or left off the passenger side fan and kinked tha @#$$ out of the IC and Exhaust pipes to get them in there. The inlet on that turbo is 4 inches and the compressor housing is similar in size to a To4E .60 A/R. I can fit the entire VJ-14 compressor housing in this ones Inlet alone! Not to mention then I'd have to fit that Tial 44mm waste gate in there also.
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

im really intrested to see how it turns out. and are all your runners going to be the same length? im going to be running 250 shot direct port, as soon as i get the stand alone to program for it. and im kinda in the process of making my own manifold, a ram horn style all same length runners. will going with thoes long runners really make more HP. cause i was told that with the turbo it doesent matter as much as N/A.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Don't get me wrong my runners are long, but the only part of the length equasion that matters is from the center of the valve to the center of the merge (or turbine on a 4-1 manifold) be around 24 inches. That length is where a turbo manifold supposedly scavenges the best. There are a lot of pro's n con's when designing your manifold. The designs can be argued many ways. First you need to decide on what you want the car to be for, then go from there.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I would just like to say that it is guys like JWMotorSports, Josh and Ma-ze/Minimonster that make me keep trying to get my turbo MX3 up to a high standard.

Most MX3 4cycl guys are contented just to do basic mods such as intake and exhaust, thus to see you guys going all out is very encouraging. I mean the thought of a 600whp MX3 is just amazing.

Keep up the good work.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light

Return to “Forced Induction”